Don't shoot me or murder me with a axe - My Coyote Swapped GT500

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
You said you had to change the VIN to a shelby VIN? was the car a GT to begin with?

I got that impression too, but didn't ask. I guess on some level I could see buying a 150k mile '07 GT500 and doing this, but short of an "R" title or high mileage chassis you picked up for 20k, it doesn't add up. Isn't a brand new short block only like $3000? :shrug:

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Or are you trying to trade the car / sell the car, after blowing it up, to an unsuspecting buyer/dealer, and just throwing the 5.0 in hoping no one notices?

"If I was to ever trade in my Shelby hardly anyone would notice that its not a 5.4 and the TVS will make it look almost identical with the exception of valve covers . "

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I assure everyone in this thread, OP is not a troll and is 100% serious. His car is a genuine 2011 GT500 with the performance package.

After too many encounters with the rev limiter, the oil pump gears shattered. It was repaired the first time. Then, the crankshaft broke. This was with the IW 15% OD lower pulley, 2.3L TVS, at high PSI. OP is all about walking outside of the beaten path, so we shall see where this build goes.

To the purists out there, I know the OP isn't a purists by any means. Sure, he calls it a Shelby, however...that doesn't mean he cares if it is. Heck, if he had a 2013+ GT with the auto and twin turbos, he'd likely never look back again. Is he killing the resale value of this car, of course. I don't think that concerns him too much at this time, as the roll cage installation already killed the value significantly. Had it been my car, I would have repaired the 5.4L and installed a KB LC supercharger. OP walks to the beat of his own drum.

Last edited:

Fuerig

Established Member
You said you had to change the VIN to a shelby VIN? was the car a GT to begin with?

When I said " TO the people that argue its not a Shelby I went through a hell of a time converting all the exterior and all of the interior to making it perfect except for the engine lol. The hardest part of the conversion was changing my VIN to a shelby Vin number " .... that was sarcasm.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Just be aware that you basically took what made a Shelby out and turned you car into a GT with a VIN for Shelby and Snakes on the side. There will be plenty of people that will try to tell you its not a Shelby anymore.

So, by that description, my GT is now a Shelby?

The fact is, the VIN is the only thing that really designates what the car is. His car is a 2011 GT500. No engine swap will change that. Just as, my car is a 2005 GT. I have every single GT500 component in it, and on it, but it's still a GT.

As for his swap, it doesn't have to make financial sense. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else here. For his own reasons he decided it was what he wanted to do. It's not what I personally would have done, but it's not my car after all. The 5.0L is a great motor, with big potential (and 200lbs lighter!). They wouldn't have dropped it in the Cobra Jets otherwise. All it needs are some good pistons and rods, in addition to the right blower, and it will support 900hp all day long. As it turns out, you'll need all the same upgrades on a 5.4L to reliably make that same number.

Basically, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:

Fuerig

Established Member
Or are you trying to trade the car / sell the car, after blowing it up, to an unsuspecting buyer/dealer, and just throwing the 5.0 in hoping no one notices?

"If I was to ever trade in my Shelby hardly anyone would notice that its not a 5.4 and the TVS will make it look almost identical with the exception of valve covers . "

The thought has crossed my mind for future exploits but in reality I just wanted to do something different. Good friend of mine put a TVS on a GHIG boss. I loved the power it made with very little boost. I've had 3 5.0's - 1. Destroyed by a dunk driver 2. Bought a 12 base and traded it for #3 3. Premium Yellow Blaze that I sold then bought my Shelby.

I've always loved the 5.0 and went my Shelby went Ka POW I said to myself " Kai Oat Te swap" and here we are :) It's fun and interesting and when I do trade it in a few years from now no one will notice except for the valve covers. Good luck with a dumb ass dealership figuring that one out.

Fuerig

Established Member
The 5.0L is a great motor, with big potential. They wouldn't have dropped it in the Cobra Jets otherwise. All it needs are some good pistons and rods, in addition to the right blower, and it will support 900hp all day long.

That's the conclusion I came to.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
good luck Fuerig.

Would not have been my choice for a swap, however I like the dare to be different bent, once the 5.0 is built, it will be potent.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You didn't want to replace a broken crank on your 5.4, but you're going to make the coyote motor capable of 900hp?

That's the same thing I was thinking. I would've been easier and cheaper to fix the crank AND put some even more beefy rods and such in his stock motor than going the route he's going.

... All it needs are some good pistons and rods, in addition to the right blower, and it will support 900hp all day long. As it turns out, you'll need all the same upgrades on a 5.4L to reliably make that same number.

I'm pretty sure a stock 5.4 can handle 900HP all day long, unless you're talking to the wheels. And even then I think it would still live a reasonably long life, provided it's not a drag whore.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm pretty sure a stock 5.4 can handle 900HP all day long, unless you're talking to the wheels. And even then, I think it would still live a reasonably long life if it's not a drag whore.

Yes, I'm talking about to the wheels. And 900rwh will not last long on a stock GT500 motor. Drag whore or not. If you'll notice, I mentioned "reliable hp".

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
YOU SON OF A B****!.... Naw just kidding... Its your car and if you want to be the first to do something or take a new path then by all means do it. I will say that you probably did save some weight on the nose of the car and that will help on speed of the car but unless you are using a built engine and making serious power that you did hamper your self in the power department. Once you get it built up and its pushing serious power im curious to see how it would compare to a 5.4 with similar power.

Just be aware that you basically took what made a Shelby out and turned you car into a GT with a VIN for Shelby and Snakes on the side. There will be plenty of people that will try to tell you its not a Shelby anymore.

Yeah...the engine alone costs I think about 22k in 5.4l form? The Coyote 5.0 is only about 6k. The 5.8l is around 30k, def woulda fixed it and built up the engine personally.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Yes a Complete Coyote Kit is 6-8k. I am purchasing just the intake manifold and a Gen 2 TVS. I have everything else. Plenty of Coyote's are running great numbers without 7-10k in motor work :) Non forged twin turbo Coyotes are putting 650whp on 6lbs of boost

So you ready have the bigger injectors, intake, tb and the gen2 is north of 3k with additional parts. I guess the 2-3k worst case scenario is what had me confused with a built motor etc. The general consensus even to the 5.0 guys is 600whp or it's a ticking time bomb. I think you had some bad luck with the shelby motor but you'll find the 5.0 will blow even easier especially in stock form. As long as your happy but it seems to me you won't be saving any money even if the coyote motor somehow survives.

Fuerig

Established Member
So you ready have the bigger injectors, intake, tb and the gen2 is north of 3k with additional parts. I guess the 2-3k worst case scenario is what had me confused with a built motor etc. The general consensus even to the 5.0 guys is 600whp or it's a ticking time bomb. I think you had some bad luck with the shelby motor but you'll find the 5.0 will blow even easier especially in stock form. As long as your happy but it seems to me you won't be saving any money even if the coyote motor somehow survives.

I still have my Twin CJ 65mm, 80lb injectors, fuel rail spacers, 127mm carbon fiber CAI. These were parts I had on my shelby and I only sold my long block with full accesories and intake manifold no blower ETC ETC. Here is what goes through my mind " Same Power level for half the boost equals more reliable. True I could have gone higher compression ratio in the Shelby but "KAI OAT TE".
You keep quoting my $2-3k but re read the comment. I figure $2-3k worse case scenario for my out of pocket because I still have 3k left over from the engine sale. So in total I'm looking at a stock coyote motor and figuring about $6k to put in it for forged internals, oil pump gears, billet crank gear, valve springs, and misc. So with 3k out of MY POCKET not counting left over monies from the sale I'll have a forged Coyote that can run half the boost and make the same power as a Shelby. OR .... I could have spent 3k just rebuilding what I already had due to crankshaft, oil pump, problems from oil starvation, and whatever else a constant drag whore needed.

I'm different I'm different :) Same Power for the Same money with half the boost for more longevity

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NEl8dt-Ged0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Users who are viewing this thread