Double clutch

dvtr-

Established Member
No need. Our cars have synchronizers. I still do it though when downshifting in a roll race to decrease the wear on the clutch a bit.

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I cant imagine why someone would. I dont do it on a downshift either. I usually just push the clutch in and tap the accelerator to rev match before releasing it. It prevents that jolt you would get from a straight forward downshift. Any other time though? I think maybe if you have an idle mind...

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
I rev match almost all of the time. The thing I find hardest, is heel toe down shifting while braking. I can't seem to be able to reach the gas pedal with my heel...

MGC

Established Member
I rev match almost all of the time. The thing I find hardest, is heel toe down shifting while braking. I can't seem to be able to reach the gas pedal with my heel...

They call it heel-toe, but the way I do it is more of a flick with the ball of your foot, definitely takes some practice to get down but I do it all the time now.

Check this video out for a visual explanation (45-46 seconds in):

[youtube_browser]8By2AEsGAhU[/youtube_browser]

Zemedici

Established Member

EXACTLY!!!! I cant seem to turn my leg the right direction to be able to do that, it would have to turn more than 90degrees to the left due to how I sit in the seat. Just never learned how to do it. :(

MGC

Established Member
EXACTLY!!!! I cant seem to turn my leg the right direction to be able to do that, it would have to turn more than 90degrees to the left due to how I sit in the seat. Just never learned how to do it. :(

See post above, you more or less are on the brake and just flick your pinkie toe when you clutch in and downshift while still on the brake (your on the brake and simply slide your foot over so it's halfway between the accelerator and brake pedals)

10splaya22

Established Member
See post above, you more or less are on the brake and just flick your pinkie toe when you clutch in and downshift while still on the brake (your on the brake and simply slide your foot over so it's halfway between the accelerator and brake pedals)

Yup, exactly. Heel and toe shifting doesn't actually use your heel and toe. You roll your foot to the gas to blip the throttle. That said, I'm terrible at it still lol

4601S/C

Established Member

I rev match most of the time as well. As far as heel toe. I could not do it the way most people do (maybe it's my size 15 feet). Instead I heel the brake and toe the throttle. I've pretty decent with it that way.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I rev match when down shifting in some spirited driving roads. Never really quite understood the point of this whole double clutching thing.

Anabolic

Banned
I double clutch or do what i was told is double clutching since I started driving manual.
Shift in neutral first, then clutch, then shift. I can do this fast, and properly.
If i'm trying to shift faster, I go back to granny shifting, clutch/shift/release. as this is LIGHTNING speed. lol

MGC

Established Member
I rev match most of the time as well. As far as heel toe. I could not do it the way most people do (maybe it's my size 15 feet). Instead I heel the brake and toe the throttle. I've pretty decent with it that way.

Try it the way I described, it may be a whole lot easier for you. I have size 13 feet but it doesn't bother me. When I first heard of heel toe I tried it how you describe and it was awkward as hell. (your foot has to be almost horizontal) The way I describe you can pick up on (at least I did) pretty quick. :beer:

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
They call it heel-toe, but the way I do it is more of a flick with the ball of your foot, definitely takes some practice to get down but I do it all the time now.

Check this video out for a visual explanation (45-46 seconds in):

[youtube_browser]8By2AEsGAhU[/youtube_browser]

if i wreck on the way home from work today.....................its because i was trying to do this!

MGC

Established Member
if i wreck on the way home from work today.....................its because i was trying to do this!

lol, be safe man! :beer: If you're familiar with rev matching then heel toe is just doing that while you're braking also. To learn it just be on the brakes slightly and downshift from 6-5-4 at 60 mph, you only need a little throttle blip to be smooth on those, you of course have to give it more throttle on say a 3-2 downshift at 40 mph.

71catruck

Established Member
i had to double clutch when my syncros went out. it sucked. i rev match every time i down shift. when i heel toe i have my toes or i guess more of the ball of my foot on the brake and hold my foot sideways. then role the outside of my heal onto the gas. it sounds weird but works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread