Double Din Screens

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
Well I just placed my order for a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT unit. Can't wait for it to arrive!

For those that are using this...What all is needed to get it installed and ready to be used?

vmorel1

Established Member
Awesome man! Congrats, You're going to really like it once its installed:rockon:.

You're gonna need to get a wire harness (metra #70-1771), dash kit (American International #FMK-552), and either some butt conectors or heat shrink tubing and soldering iron. There is going to be a little bit of plastic behind the stock radio you're going to have to trim but it's not much. You can either make it easy on yourself and use a dremel or try to get up in there with a hacksaw or some sort of serrated knife.

Here are links to where you can buy the wire harness and dash kit:

American International FM-K552 (fmk552) Ford Installation Kits In-Dash Receiver Accessories & Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

Metra 70-1771 (met-701771) Mercury Wiring Harnesses In-Dash Receiver Accessories & Installation Car Accessories and Installation Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

Also, you might wanna check out avic411.com. It's a forum dedicated to pioneer headunits and it has quite a bit of good info. Like, if you want to make it so you can watch movie's while driving here is how to do it:

AVIC411.com • View topic - AVIC-F Hardwire Bypass for Dummies

Good luck and let us know how the install goes! :beer:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Well I just placed my order for a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT unit. Can't wait for it to arrive!

For those that are using this...What all is needed to get it installed and ready to be used?

Me too!!!

It won't be here til next week though. :whine:

Going to def :read: up though.

I've got a Pioneer Single - DIN player in there now. So I have some kind of harness in there now. Will it be different from the AVIC one for any reason?

Last edited:

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Me too!!!

I've got a Pioneer Single - DIN player in there now. So I have some kind of harness in there now. Will it be different from the AVIC one for any reason?

bout to order one as well. will the wiring harness from my alpine single din work?

and how hard is the install with all the nav and bluetooth stuff?

vmorel1

Established Member
Me too!!!

Since you already have an aftermarket headunit in there now, You most likely already have the wiring harness that connects to your factory harness (the metra 70-1771). You will need to connect the wires from that to the wires in the avic's harness. There will also be a few wires you will have to connect from the avic's harness that are not on the other harness. These wires are the VSS wire and the reverse signal wire. If you go to avic411.com you can find on there where you need to connect those wires. For some reason I can't really remember right now. I want to say that the VSS is somewhere behind the speedo and the reverse is in the driver side kick panel.

If you need help along the way, just ask :beer:

bout to order one as well. will the wiring harness from my alpine single din work?

and how hard is the install with all the nav and bluetooth stuff?

No, the wiring harnesseses that come with aftermarket cd players are specifically designed for that unit. However, you most likely have the wiring harness already installed that goes from your factory harness to the cd players harness so that will make it easier.

The nav and bluetooth wasn't bad at all. I just left the GPS antenna under the dash but put it up by the windshield and I get almost full reception. And the only thing you'll have to do with the bluetooth is run the wire for the mic wherever you want to put it.

Last edited:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Wait, I'm confused. Why would my harness work and not his? Cuz mines Pioneer and his is Alpine?

I'll probably be PMing you when I get it in. HAHA

Since you already have an aftermarket headunit in there now, You most likely already have the wiring harness that connects to your factory harness (the metra 70-1771). You will need to connect the wires from that to the wires in the avic's harness. There will also be a few wires you will have to connect from the avic's harness that are not on the other harness. These wires are the VSS wire and the reverse signal wire. If you go to avic411.com you can find on there where you need to connect those wires. For some reason I can't really remember right now. I want to say that the VSS is somewhere behind the speedo and the reverse is in the driver side kick panel.

If you need help along the way, just ask :beer:

No, the wiring harnesses that came with your cd player are specifically designed for that unit. However, you most likely have the wiring harness already installed that goes from your factory harness to the cd players harness so that will make it easier.

The nav and bluetooth wasn't bad at all. I just left the GPS antenna under the dash but put it up by the windshield and I get almost full reception. And the only thing you'll have to do with the bluetooth is run the wire for the mic wherever you want to put it.

vmorel1

Established Member
Wait, I'm confused. Why would my harness work and not his? Cuz mines Pioneer and his is Alpine?

I'll probably be PMing you when I get it in. HAHA

Haha yeah sry it is a little confusing. Y'all are both in the same boat. Y'all probably already have the harness that connects to your factory radio harness. This gives you all of the wires that you need to connect to the headunit's harness, which you will both have to use the one that came the f90bt.

There are 3 harnesses in the process: The factory harness the plugged into your stock cd player; the harness that plugs into the factory harness that converts the sock harness to color coded wires; and then the harness that plugs into the new f90bt which also has color coded wires that you connect to the other harness' color coded wires.

Does that make more sense? I'm starting to confuse myself lol

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa..........

I think so.......pretty much I don't have to buy anything but the mounting kit then. No more harness'. Haha

Haha yeah sry it is a little confusing. Y'all are both in the same boat. Y'all probably already have the harness that connects to your factory radio harness. This gives you all of the wires that you need to connect to the headunit's harness, which you will both have to use the one that came the f90bt.

There are 3 harnesses in the process: The factory harness the plugged into your stock cd player; the harness that plugs into the factory harness that converts the sock harness to color coded wires; and then the harness that plugs into the new f90bt which also has color coded wires that you connect to the other harness' color coded wires.

Does that make more sense? I'm starting to confuse myself lol

vmorel1

Established Member
I just made this beautiful diagram with Paint lol. Hope it makes it more clear:

Diagram.jpg

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa..........

I think so.......pretty much I don't have to buy anything but the mounting kit then. No more harness'. Haha

Exactly!

Last edited:

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
So the F90BT comes with everything you need, right? I just ordered the two items you listed, vmorel1. I don't need to buy anything else for the navigation/bluetooth/etc. to work, correct? Also, is anything else needed for my Sirius to work with this?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
So the F90BT comes with everything you need, right? I just ordered the two items you listed, vmorel1. I don't need to buy anything else for the navigation/bluetooth/etc. to work, correct? Also, is anything else needed for my Sirius to work with this?

All the navigation stuff and bluetooth is in the box. i.e. antenna, mic

As long as you ordered the harness and the mounting kit you're good.

Wow, alot of us are going to have these now.

Here's some spash screens I made off of Jay's idea. Let me know which you like best. If you have any requests I can try to make you guys something if you have one in mind.

AVICSVT.jpg

AvicBurn.jpg

AvicRed.jpg

Avic-background.jpg

vmorel1

Established Member

Yep it comes with everything you need for bluetooth and nav. You should be good to go. As far as the sirius goes, I think you have to buy some sort of external device and a subscription to sirius if you don't already have it. I think (not positive though) that you need the CD-SB10 and the SCC1. Pioneer CD-SB10 + SIRIUS SC-C1 (scc1_cdsb10) Car SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuners SIRIUS Satellite Radio Products Satellite Radio - Sonic Electronix

Before you do anything with the sirius, I would definitely do a bit of searching around and research to make sure you get what you need. You can always add it to your cd player later.

And like I said earlier, If you need any help when you're installing your stuff feel free to shoot me a pm. :beer:

Last edited:

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
All the navigation stuff and bluetooth is in the box. i.e. antenna, mic

As long as you ordered the harness and the mounting kit you're good.

Wow, alot of us are going to have these now.

Here's some spash screens I made off of Jay's idea. Let me know which you like best. If you have any requests I can try to make you guys something if you have one in mind.

Very cool! Are these used as start up screens or something?

Yep it comes with everything you need for bluetooth and nav. You should be good to go. As far as the sirius goes, I think you have to buy some sort of external device and a subscription to sirius if you don't already have it. I think (not positive though) that you need the CD-SB10 and the SCC1. Pioneer CD-SB10 + SIRIUS SC-C1 (scc1_cdsb10) Car SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuners SIRIUS Satellite Radio Products Satellite Radio - Sonic Electronix

Before you do anything with the sirius, I would definitely do a bit of searching around and research to make sure you get what you need. You can always add it to your cd player later.

And like I said earlier, If you need any help when you're installing your stuff feel free to shoot me a pm. :beer:

Well I have all the external stuff with the antenna and subscription and all of that stuff...It would just make things a lot easier/simpler/cleaner inside of the truck if it could all just be run out of the F90BT instead of having some bulky external thing. Plus I use all of that stuff inside the house (I love my tunes!), and it would just more of a convenience thing instead of having to constantly move this thing back and forth from house to truck. I'll probably have to call up Sirius and Pioneer and try and get something figured out.

And you might as well clear out your PM inbox...I'm sure all this splicing and intertwining of wires is going to become a cluster of confusion for me :lol:

vmorel1

Established Member
Very cool! Are these used as start up screens or something?

Well I have all the external stuff with the antenna and subscription and all of that stuff...It would just make things a lot easier/simpler/cleaner inside of the truck if it could all just be run out of the F90BT instead of having some bulky external thing. Plus I use all of that stuff inside the house (I love my tunes!), and it would just more of a convenience thing instead of having to constantly move this thing back and forth from house to truck. I'll probably have to call up Sirius and Pioneer and try and get something figured out.

And you might as well clear out your PM inbox...I'm sure all this splicing and intertwining of wires is going to become a cluster of confusion for me :lol:

Haha thats fine with me.

And yeah it's probably best to call either pioneer or sirius because there are so many different ways to hook it up. I think those two things I listed above would actually be hidden somewhere behind the dash and you would use the f90bt completly to control the sirius...but I might be completly wrong lol so definitely call someone that knows what theyre talking about in satellite radio.

fordification

Established Member
hey guys, I know there's input converter for creating an external auxillary input from 20-pin cd changer connector on the pre-03 model players, my question is do the 03/04 model not have this 20-pin anymore? my display doesn't show any option of an external changer.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Typically the sat radio tuner is a seperate tunner that connects to the back of the headunit via the navi or av bus link. I was able to hide my Sirius tuner along with the bt-2000 for bluetooth in my dash. I have a nice Avic-D3 that I enjoy. Love having a volume knob instead of a button, and the backlight colors can match the rest of the stock backlights such as in the climate control cluster.
I'll post pics when I'm on my computer (no pics of it on my phone)

If you have service on a device allready you can call Sirius and transfer it to the new sat box (for a few bucks.) The original radio will cease to receive programing unless you get service for it. They had a promotion where any 2nd box was $7 a month when I added the Escape to my Annual plan for the Lightning.

Last edited:

M240Bravo

Established Member
I got a apline iva-505 in my cobra and I wish I put it in my lightning. I need one for the truck the stock radio is not going to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread