Double Din Screens

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
not if you get the right mounting kit, took me all of 5 min to install mine, the longer/harder part was the little bit of cutting on the back frame/hole to make the unit fit.

What he said. Mine was very easy. You want to get the American International FMK-552 kit and put it on the second setting.

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
i got a flipout, wish i'd saved a little bit longer and got a f'n double din. they look sweet

skeeterlee89

Established Member
Pioneer Avic f700bt here. Navigation, XM, Sirius, Bluetooth phone connection, awesome iPod connection... All for under $400.

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
The Avic F-series has USB input and SD card input. So you can use a thumbdrive to store music.

Also, the Avic Z-Series has a built in hard drive to put music onto.

Well I'm assuming the USB is on the rear of the unit...Kind of inconvenient.
The SD card, though. I could just get a 32 GIG one for about 20 bucks and just transfer everything from iTunes onto there. Kickass! :rockon: I would think the voice recognition and everything like that would still work for that, right?

And the difference between the 900 and the 700...900 plays DVDs and the 700 doesnt? Aside from that, same thing? And with either, they have navigation from the get-go...no extra things I need to buy to get navigation?
Thanks!:beer:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
Well I'm assuming the USB is on the rear of the unit...Kind of inconvenient.
The SD card, though. I could just get a 32 GIG one for about 20 bucks and just transfer everything from iTunes onto there. Kickass! :rockon: I would think the voice recognition and everything like that would still work for that, right?

And the difference between the 900 and the 700...900 plays DVDs and the 700 doesnt? Aside from that, same thing? And with either, they have navigation from the get-go...no extra things I need to buy to get navigation?

The USB port is on a cord that is a couple feet long. I have mine in my glove compartment.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member

no, voice recognition only works for the ipod and bluetooth

and yeah 900-700 one plays DVD the other doesnt
and the f90 comes with the ipod cable and 3D graphics for the navigation and all 3 of them have navigation out of the box

wayboarder

Established Member
save up and get yourself a Kenwood DNX 8120 like mine. IT IS AMAZING! but double your price range.

+1, save your money and dont scrimp. You will regret it if you dont go full featured.

I also have the DNX-8120 and cant think of any other setup I would rather have. I have a 360gb ipod constantly connected to it and have a plethora of movies and my entire music collection on hand in my truck at any time. You can stream music and movies to it via bluetooth from your phone as well. It was a super easy and clean install and the only thing I would replace it with is the newest version of the 8120 which i think is the 8220. The only difference is that it has garage door openers that you can access via touch screen.

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member

and the f90 comes with the ipod cable and 3D graphics for the navigation and all 3 of them have navigation out of the box

Ah bummer...Was really hoping to use the voice recognition. My iPod was stolen last year...Would I be able to answer my phone (iPhone) if it was plugged in through the iPod connection and use the voice recognition that way but answer the phone through the head unit?

LSUstang05

Established Member
Ah bummer...Was really hoping to use the voice recognition. My iPod was stolen last year...Would I be able to answer my phone (iPhone) if it was plugged in through the iPod connection and use the voice recognition that way but answer the phone through the head unit?

From my limited interaction with Vince's head unit (F90bt), yes. He did the voice recognition and he also answered his phone a few times when we were headed to the tuners shop.

Thanks for the plug Jordan lol (shouldn't you be studying?? Oh wait, I should be too haha)....Yeah I actually have the avic-f90BT. It comes with navigation and a bluetooth setup so you can basically use it as your phone when you're in the truck. It is pretty amazing but, after having it for a while, I've realized that I don't really need the navigation and barely ever use the bluetooth. However, it is still the nicest unit I've ever used and has an amazing operating system. I got it for like $600 a while back but now theyre on ebay for $560 shipped. Here you go: NEW~PIONEER PREMIER AVIC-F90BT CAR NAVIGATION iPOD 5.8" - eBay (item 120396839716 end time May-23-09 11:19:14 PDT)

I just installed an avh-4100dvd in my friends F-150 and it was a really nice unit as well, especially for the price you can get them for. It's interface was a little bit behind the f90bt's but it was definitely still good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 4100dvd if I was just looking for a headunit to play cds, radio, and have control of my ipod. (We did find out that you have to buy another $40 cable to play videos from your ipod for the avh-4100dvd).

Between the two you posted, definitely go for the Pioneer :rockon:
Hahaha yea, I should have been studying, but I aced my first two tests and I think I did OK on my other ones. Should end up with a 3.0 this semester so I'm happy with how it turned out haha

Last edited:

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member

So the best one out of the three is the f90?

I'm going to buy either the 900BT or the F90 but I like 3d graphics lol.

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
So the best one out of the three is the f90?

I'm going to buy either the 900BT or the F90 but I like 3d graphics lol.

F900 has 3d navi graphics also. The only difference is an ipod cable comes with the f90, and the pre-amp voltage output is 4 volts, while the f900 is only 2.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
F900 has 3d navi graphics also. The only difference is an ipod cable comes with the f90, and the pre-amp voltage output is 4 volts, while the f900 is only 2.

Damnit, I bid on F900 on eBay. I need the ipod cable.

is the voltage difference noticeable?

Last edited:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
Damnit, I bid on F900 on eBay. I need the ipod cable.

is the voltage difference noticeable?

You can buy the cable seperate, and there is no noticeable difference unless you're maybe really big into the whole sound system thing.

fordification

Established Member
that 4100 is sweet.
so with the mounting kit there's a frame that fits the front or does the dimensions just work out?
also, you do have to pay to download nav maps right?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
that 4100 is sweet.
so with the mounting kit there's a frame that fits the front or does the dimensions just work out?
also, you do have to pay to download nav maps right?

Either this is the wrong pic or i'd assume you trim that middle piece out.

FM-K552.jpg

The maps are installed in the memory of the unit now rather than on a seperate disc.

Last edited:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
Either this is the wrong pic or i'd assume you trim that middle piece out.

FM-K552.jpg

The maps are installed in the memory of the unit now rather than on a seperate disc.

Correct, you trim that middle bar out. You also don't need that back mounting piece either.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
So If the Pioneer 700 doesnt play DVD's....then whats the point of it?

theres other ways to play videos on the F700(thats what i have/use) video ipod or through the SD card slot its rather easy to use. the only thing i dont like about it. is the unit freezes soemtimes going from bluetooth call back to ipod it sometimes takes 3-5 mins to switch back, also the ipod gets disconnected(according to the unit) sometimes and if your ipod is in your glove box(where mine is) its a long reach over to disconnect/reconnect.

also the F700BT has 3D images the only difference between 700 and 900 is the DVD Drive

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread