Downloading Music on to Lap Top

venmos1

Established Member
I have an external hard drive that i want to download music and some youtube videos on to and then plug into my truck. From my early days back in 2004 we had napster do get all the music we ever wanted. Now its download XYZ app and get it on our phone. I have not owned a computer or lap top in a long time. I use my phone for everything. I was given a used HP Elitebook 820 G3 that a guy used at work to acess internet, type up reports etc. My hard drive has a usb cable that i am able to plug into the lap top.

I just dont know of whats is a good way to get music on to the lap top. Are there any free sites anymore with tons of music? Good sites that are not overly expensive? Can i download youtube stuff?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. TIA

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont think theres an easy way to download youtube videos to an external

You can buy music through both Itunes and amazon and save em to a computer.

venmos1

Established Member
thanks guys. Isnt spotify a monthly fee based service (as in you have it play through wifi vs downloading songs)? Like pandora?

Im not looking to stream music. I want to download it onto a lap top then transfer it over to my hard drive. I then put it im my truck to play through my radio. Basically like Napster used to allow.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
i use a youtube to mp3 music converter that i use to put music on my old ipod from youtube videos. Pretty sure im giving my computer viruses but it works great.

Coiled03

Established Member
I dont think theres an easy way to download youtube videos to an external

You can buy music through both Itunes and amazon and save em to a computer.

There are dozens of sites where you enter the URL of the video, and it will rip the .mp3 for you. Or, you can download the video as an .mp4 and rip the audio yourself with software.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
google search youtube MP3 converter. Copy youtube link, put in converter, download. I have done about 3,000 songs that way.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you use your phone for everything then Google Music (or similar) is your best bet. It's only ten bucks a month and you get Youtube Premium with it.

If you're hell bent on going back to the 90's there is a piracy subreddit worth checking out.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I see people constantly recommending the streaming services, which is great when you're on wifi, but how much data do you plow through when you're in your car or away from wifi?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Spotify and YouTube.

Use Audacity to rip it directly from the bus.

Perfectly legal too, as long as you don't distribute it outside of fair use.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I had Hotger "FLVTO/FYDLoad" downloader for youtube items

But after it's latest update, it doesn't work on my computer- just download failure notices every time I try.....

What's everyone using?

venmos1

Established Member
Download your stuff to a flash drive, your truck has USB ports?

Yes it has usb ports as well as an sd card slot. I found a small hard drive at work that i can have so the plan was to download stuff to it, plug it into my truck and leave it in the console.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
If you use a service like Spotify you can make playlist and actually download them to you phone. Then I just stream through bluetooth or plug in USB from there. No extra data or wifi required at that point. It's $9.99/mo and they give you free access to Hulu too. I switched back in like 2013 and never looked back. It's so much more convenient and worth every penny!

Coiled03

Established Member
If you use a service like Spotify you can make playlist and actually download them to you phone. Then I just stream through bluetooth or plug in USB from there. No extra data or wifi required at that point. It's $9.99/mo and they give you free access to Hulu too. I switched back in like 2013 and never looked back. It's so much more convenient and worth every penny!

What's the limit on the number of songs in a playlist on Spotify? Google play music is 1K songs, which kinda sucks.

madscotsman

Established Member
Before I started using Apple Music, I used an app called MP3 Rocket. Paid like $30-40 for it and it works identically to Napster. Members share a specific folder on their PC's with music in it. Search for what you want, play a quick preview to make sure the file is legit, download to your PC (MP3 files), then move it to iTunes or wherever you want as the file is not blocked or encrypted. You can choose to share your destination folder with everyone else so your account adds to the available identical copies of the same track and speeds up downloading, or remove everything from your folder instantly and don't share anything. When your logged into the app, your folder becomes "available" to everyone else logged in somehow?!? I never had any issues, but wasn't much of a sharer LOL. 99.9% of the time I would move my files and log off after getting what I wanted. ONLY issues I had over 5 years of using it was crappy recordings, low volume recordings, or items that we're labeled incorrectly (wrong song). They have a system now where it rates the files based on number of downloads. This app started off free but then they asked for money to continue to upgrade. Wondering if that pays for licensing somehow as it seems like if it wasn't legit it would have been shut down by now?!?

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
How about this situation:

I have a USB-Flashdrive full of mp3s but the files are not recognized on my Windows-based CPU operating system. My CPU show the flashdrive is three-quarters full but shows "blank" when I click open in file-explorer.... similar to when you plug an iPhone & simply try to open files like an external hard-drive. Says theirs data, but no access.

But when I plug it in my home audio receiver or in the USB slot in the head-unit; I have music files & play tunes.

So I'm guessing the files are probably Apple/MAC based program files.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

How do I convert these files from MAC to Windows on my Windows operating computer?

OR do I have to go to a MAC computer & do the conversion thru the MAC computer?

NO, I will not download iTunes.... had nothing but problems when it kept rejecting half my mp3 music collection.
When I'm old-school and spent hours converting my ENTIRE CD collection to mp3 files on my windows-based computer. BUT iTunes refused to recognize these pre-existing files and expected me to re-purchase.

NO THANK YOU- so I scrubbed my computer of all iTunes file programs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread