Drag radials + rock driveway. Good or bad?

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
This question seems a bit stupid but I'm going to ask anyways. I'm looking to get new tires for the rear. I've always had trucks so softer compound tires are new to me. My driveway is rock and is about 150 yds. long. The driveway then leads to a rock road which is about 100 yds. long to the highway...then it's only highway and city street driving from there. My cobra comes out on nice sunny days only and when it does, I CREEP down the rocks.

So...let's say that hypothetically I'm looking at a Nitto 555R and the regular Nitto 555. Because of the rock driveway should I stick with the regular Nitto's? Or would a DR be okay since it's a short distance on the rocks and I'm only creeping? I'm thinking that if the DR's aren't heated up from burnouts, etc then they should be okay but want some more input.

BTW...my car isn't making tremendous power...about 440 rwhp right now but hoping to get a new tune soon and make in the 450-460 range.

Thoughts?? (I know I know...rock driveway...not the best situation but it's what I have to deal with for now)

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I've never had a problem with it. Just go easy on the throttle and drive somewhat slow so that you don't throw rocks up and you will be fine. You will enjoy them better than a street radial for sure.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
You will be fine...when they are brand new they will be extremely sticky, but the Nitto Drs are not a true true DR in my book, this is why so many run them on their daily drivers. They won't pick up huge rocks, they pick up more tiny bits of sand, perhaps pebbles etc...
Are you planning on running 275 Drs or 315s? and if so are you running them on 10.5 replicas on the stock 9 inch rim?
The reason I ask is because I hear the DR version is a little bit more narrow than the regular Nitto and doesn't protect the rim as much. I have the 315 Drs on the 10.5 inch rim and I think the tire is a little too narrow for the rim. Next up for me will be the wide 315 Toyos...they look great and protect the precious 17X10.5 replicas

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
was wondering the same for my 900 ft driveway, didnt get any dr's yet, i figured theyd throw rocks like a mother.. found some bfg 315 kd on 10.5's used/like new and figured id try them. there alright for now. would like to try the toyos when $$ permits

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Glad to hear I'm not the only one driving down the rocks. lol It pains me everytime but like I said before, I CREEP so nothing gets kicked up. I moved here while I was looking for the Cobra so I had the rock driveway in the back of my mind, but it is what it is.

The Nittos are narrow so I had already considered how well they would protect the stock rim. However, my intial plans were to go with 10.5's & 315's out back....I'm still undecided (mostly b/c I'm cheap) lol...got some other things in mind too in the near future...new tune, FLSFC's, rolled fenders but tires are at the top of the list...unless I go 10.5's. haha Just trying to see all the angles first before I drop the cash.

Sounds like I'll be alright though with DR's. Thanks for the input all! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread