Driver's Needed - Watkins Glen!!!!!!

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
JM,

Spoke (email actually) with Mike, he was not talking about me, but the black Mustang/Cobra who ran out of gas on the last session of the first day :bash: . I of course waited until there were no more cars on the track before exiting my car and hopping over the Armco wall. Then, and only then did I remove my helmet, neck roll, gloves, and upper fire suit :rockon: :beer: :rockon:

Bill S. :burnout:

PS: The car is still not running, as suspected, the solenoid mounted on the :cuss: one month old :cuss: mini starter is :xpl: DOA, will be ordering a replacement unit early this week in hopes of possibly making an event or two some time in September (August is shot for me) and October........

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
Crankoid Video at The Glen

SDW Racing said:
Bringing this back to the top for Sonic Blue Mike.....

Now that he and his lovely wife CindyAnn have driven 17 hours home, just wondering how they enjoyed their first time at Watkins Glen with the Crankoids????

We had a great time. I meant to post earlier, but was fooling with the car, (delivered to the dealer today for starter repair), pictures, video, etc.

Thanks to Club Cranky for the hospitality.

All went well on the return trip and we arrived home earlier than expected. This was partially due to a cracked front rotor that encouraged me to load up and depart the track at the beginning of the last session. I could have changed it, but that would have made for a much longer day in the heat.

Here's a video

We were discussing a possible return trip to the east next year. (maybe a different track?) We'll see how things go. Cindyann is making a list of items to bring. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :read: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

BTW: The highway runs both ways, come on out and play in our backyard.

--Mike

Last edited:

SDW Racing

Established Member
Mike,

great video of the Leap Frog session we all did together!!! :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

I especially liked the closing credits! :bowdown:

I'm thinking maybe your return trip should be at Beaver Run or Summit Point.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
cranky sure is smooth.

does this event fall on this weekend regularly (or thereabouts)? Its time to start the planning for next year. more new tracks means longer road trips.

i would love to do the glen next year.

john, there are 3 "main events" at the glen:

rochester shelby aka cmr - early june and mid/late august (always a monday & tuesday)

apex - early august (wenesday & thursday)

there are others, but these are at prime time for upstate NY weather....plus, nobody else gives you the amount of track time that these groups do....

freddy and bruce can attest to this, as they've both been out for the cmr event....

we should really start planning to make one of these events an "svtperformance" group event next year! :beer: :thumbsup: :rockon:

SDW Racing

Established Member
The Apex Team run by Bob Austin is gearing his events towards experienced open trackers. Classroom time will still be offered for beginners, but he is out to provide the MOST track time for your hard earned bucks.

Advanced Open trackers and intructors ran for almost 5 hours on each day last week.

You cannot find a better event for the price. We were running 60 to 90 minute sessions....(if you had the stamina). :banana: :banana: :banana:

In addition, he is in the 'plnning stages' of offering an event geared to EXPERIENCED OPEN TRACKERS ONLY! What this means is the track will have one run group all day.....green flagged for everyone. More details to follow.

03'Darin

Established Member
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue]We had a great time. I meant to post earlier, but was fooling with the car, (delivered to the dealer today for starter repair), pictures, video, etc.

Thanks to Club Cranky for the hospitality.

All went well on the return trip and we arrived home earlier than expected. This was partially due to a cracked front rotor that encouraged me to load up and depart the track at the beginning of the last session. I could have changed it, but that would have made for a much longer day in the heat.

Here's a video, (right click, save) of some Crankoid action at The Glen. Quality will be poor. (44 meg video reduced to below 10 meg so my ISP can host it).

We were discussing a possible return trip to the east next year. (maybe a different track?) We'll see how things go. Cindyann is making a list of items to bring. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :read: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

BTW: The highway runs both ways, come on out and play in our backyard.

--Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike, glad to hear your trip went well. Cross country road trips to experience a new track make the event that much more exciting. What did you think of the track??

Darin

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Great Video Mike!!! I don't think I even need to ask whether or not you liked "The Glen"?

Your car sounds like Cliff's "Farm Truck"!! :rockon:

Hope to do The Glen next June with Phoenix CMR? I have to get back to Anheuser-Busch (Baldwinsville, NY) and make another sales call!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SVT_KY

Established Member
Mike,

Two things ... Great Video!!!

and do they have RACE TRACKS in IOWA?

I could think about heading west with teh "Farm Truck" LOL

I went to Heartland Park, fer pete's sake and THAT was a DRIVE !!!

'03 Sonic Blue

Established Member
SVT_KY said:
Mike,

Two things ... Great Video!!!

and do they have RACE TRACKS in IOWA?

I could think about heading west with teh "Farm Truck" LOL

I went to Heartland Park, fer pete's sake and THAT was a DRIVE !!!

Thanks,

There's one that I know of. MidAmerica Motorplex. Very safe, very flat. Just south of Council Bluffs. http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/

This organization and others sponsor OT events there: www.findtheline.com

Best regards,
--Mike

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
very cool video!!! :pepper: thanks mike! :thumbsup:

what the hell happened to the armco???? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

the esses look like just another piece of highway instead of a blue tunnel :lol:

same with the boot! man, they changed that track ALOT :uh oh:

and I see the sheep even got into the credits :-D

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue] MidAmerica Motorplex. Very safe, very flat. Just south of Council Bluffs. http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/--Mike[/QUOTE]

I made the 1275 mile trip west :eek: in 2002 with SCMC....I havent seen a track as flat as this one ever before or since?!? :lol:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Thank heavens for small favors!!! :p
yeah, that was your first time seeing and riding in a cobra R, wasnt it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hence the nick "the giggler" :lol1:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
NJ2000R said:
yeah, that was your first time seeing and riding in a cobra R, wasnt it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hence the nick "the giggler" :lol1:

Almost three years later and I'm still giggling in the car!! :pepper:

'03 Sonic Blue

Established Member
NJ2000R said:
very cool video!!! :pepper: thanks mike! :thumbsup:

what the hell happened to the armco???? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

the esses look like just another piece of highway instead of a blue tunnel :lol:

same with the boot! man, they changed that track ALOT :uh oh:

and I see the sheep even got into the credits :-D

I never saw it before. Still looked like a long cattle shute to me.

--Mike

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Track surface still the same

The only changes made to the track at WGI were to the runoff areas and installation of some catch fences. I guess they expect those Indy cars to shed some wheels. :uh oh:

The racing surface is the same as it has always been. FAST :thumbsup:

I'll be back in a couple of weeks. :banana: :banana:

RD

03'Darin

Established Member
Roger Davis said:
The only changes made to the track at WGI were to the runoff areas and installation of some catch fences. I guess they expect those Indy cars to shed some wheels. :uh oh:

The racing surface is the same as it has always been. FAST :thumbsup:

I'll be back in a couple of weeks. :banana: :banana:

RD

Are you running the August 22nd & 23rd event?

SDW Racing

Established Member
Darin,

Roger will be there, look for his Track Turd....

normal_Picture%20026%7E1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread