driveshaft worth the $$?

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
So my car is going in for a bigger heat exchanger and clutch next week, I was thinking about going with a aluminum driveshaft at the same time. My question to those who have it is it worth it or should I put that money toward a tvs? I have also heard of people getting them because they break the stock driveshaft at the track. I don't go to the track every week and only run it maybe 4 times every few months.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
A driveshaft was one of my first mods. I don't think driveshaft failure is that prevalent with the stock ones, but if you intend to ever run slicks on the car and make any kind of significant power, it's probably worth the money. The other benefit is the lighter weight. The one piece aluminum shafts are lighter than the stock shaft and decrease rotational mass which means less HP loss between the flywheel and wheels.
For me it's been a swap and forget type of mod that gives me a little peace of mind with the power level I'm at. I've had no issues and while it may have been unjustified, I never felt comfortable launching the car hard with the two piece shaft.
I also installed a CHE driveshaft loop when I did the shaft, which is an addition that I suggest no matter what if you plan to drag race the car.

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member
Is there a certain brand you guys prefer? I think I am going to do it, might as well while the clutch is being done

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So my car is going in for a bigger heat exchanger and clutch next week, I was thinking about going with a aluminum driveshaft at the same time. My question to those who have it is it worth it or should I put that money toward a tvs? I have also heard of people getting them because they break the stock driveshaft at the track. I don't go to the track every week and only run it maybe 4 times every few months.

DSS for sure - normally we have to wait about 2 weeks for them to be built and balanced, but we'll have them in stock here shortly! Now would definitely be the time to pull the trigger since you're doing all of the other needed mods.

You can take a look at them here:
DSS GT500 3-1/2" Aluminum One-Piece Driveshaft-900hp - Driveshaft Shop - Driveshafts - Driveline - 07-09 Shelby GT500

Any other questions, please let us know

Thanks
John

SVTFOREVER2008

Established Member

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I had this same question last year and the popular vote was DSS. Had some issues with mine having nvh so I had to play with it to find the sweet spot. Come to find out quite a few were having similar problems. Dynotech hasn't had any issues from what has been said on here so if I did it over again that would be my choice. It wasn't much fun playing with my car up on jack stands for two weeks.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I would do the safety loops front/rear at the same time as well since it will be the best time to do it. Be prepared to do some fabricating of the mounting brackets if you have and aftermarket exhaust also.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have a Dynatech and as stated its been good to go. As for loops, with a one piece shaft, you only technically need a front loop. With the two piece shaft you will want to get a front and back since it has a third point of possible failure.
My CHE loop didn't require any fabrication, alteration or major disassembly to install. I did it on my back in my driveway without removing any of the interior components.

Last edited:

frydguy79

Established Member

DSS is the only way to go......
they are high speed spun balanced ....

and have awsome customer service

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
When I spoke to the guys at SVT about adding the Whipple package, they said I should install a 1-piece driveshaft if I ever bought stickier tires (read the OEM Goodyears didn't have enough bite to snap the shaft). I got the DSS when I bought the MT UHP Street Comps as well as a front BMR loop. If you get a rear loop, it will hit when you jack your car.

I have never tracked my car, but I do some "spirited" runs now and then. A 1-piece is good insurance.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I like my DSS aluminum DS, when I first put it in i had some low speed vibrations but after about 1500 miles of driving its nice an smooth, But I wish I had stepped up and got a CF one.

AlanSVT

Established Member
I have a brand new DSS still in box and used BMR safety loop for sale. Looking to get 600 for both. Great deal....

sorry for the shameless plug....

Users who are viewing this thread