Dropped my 12 with 8k miles off for shift grind

HidnNOS

Established Member
We'll see, it was/is very bad in my car which is bone stock. Ford told my dealer "we will replace 1-2 parts but let the owner know this is common. I'm sorry, I'm not ok with that, keeping my fingers crossed. Someone on here had the same issue and was told the transmission is under a design change, anyone know what came of that?

I get that some people swap shifters, bushings etc which helps BUT DOESN'T ALWAYS FIX FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ON HERE.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The only thing that will "fix" the car will be to replace the shifter with an MGW2 and Amsoil fluid. The shifter will correct the issue, the fluid makes a little bit smoother. Bottom line is the factory shifter is the culprit. Ford has no intentions on making a better or replacement shifter for these vehicles.

SLO-SVT

Established Member
We'll see, it was/is very bad in my car which is bone stock. Ford told my dealer "we will replace 1-2 parts but let the owner know this is common. I'm sorry, I'm not ok with that, keeping my fingers crossed. Someone on here had the same issue and was told the transmission is under a design change, anyone know what came of that?

I get that some people swap shifters, bushings etc which helps BUT DOESN'T ALWAYS FIX FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ON HERE.

yeah I was the one who posted that as soon as the Ford service rep emailed me. With no end in sight I pushed the dealer to rebuild my existing rather than waiting forever.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My mistake i didnt read that this was for the 2012 gt500 tr6060

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

Why? If you read around anyone who drops their car offs gets the same issues back instantly or after a few thousand, I have a '12 as well, there is no "FIX" trust me, I've looked, best you can hope for is a new shifter as stated by others.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Chances are your gonna end up with the same issue. Maybe try an push for a replacement mt82. Also your clutch may need to be replaced. The 11-12s seem to have the most issues with the MT82. Seems to be a mix of a couple issues. One the clutch an pressure plate an the actual tranny with weak syncos. Very common to have issues with 1-2 an 5th

I thought the MT82 was one of the weakest transmissions put in a Mustang? GT owners HATE that transmission and it is known to be WEAK, ten-fold compared to the TR6060. TR6060 is still the "go to" for high horse power and manuals, I mean it is in almost every V-8 manual that is currently offered...MT82 seems like utter junk, a quick google shows that. Owners hate it, and it only goes in the GT.
Fun read, and yeah MT82 is much weaker than the TR6060, and a lot cheaper.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ech/272540-getrag-mt-82-vs-tremec-6060-a.html

"They could have arranged to make the Tremec in China.
The MT82 is a new design with some fancy features that make it a smoother, more precise transmission.
When it isn't broken"
:pop:
Kinda all I've heard about the MT-82, if they put that sucker in the GT350 I will be stunned, pretty sure it is also getting the TR6060, the MT82 is a far cheaper transmission from my understanding, and no one "wants" it, but then again the GT350 as new as it is is probly getting something entirely different from the TR6060 and MT82. More here* http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1045402-GT350-Tremec-TR3160

Still, considering the GT500, and GT350, Challenger, and Camaro are kinda the last manuals in the American market, it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Chevy has their legit Auto trans rated for up to 700hp\tq, (Z06, CTS-V, or ZL1, all around 650HP stock) + the optional 7-speed Tremec manual which I know nothing about, and Dodge has their own automatic 8-speed (60k Charger SRT\Challenger for their 707 HP monster), Ford is kinda in the ??? though this car is what made me love stick and I can't imagine driving it in auto, but with an 8 speed auto putting you at peak hp (4k rpms) anytime you mash the pedal, well yeah...obv why Mclaren\AMG\BMW\Dodge\Chevy\etc it is all about AUTOMATIC now.

But stick is just so much funnnn :rockon:

Last edited:

HidnNOS

Established Member
The 1-2 synchro and gears were found to be damaged and there is a bearing in 4th that runs on the shaft that is "wasted" per Ford. That being said, you ask why I would ever take the car in for the issue at hand? So you'd suggest I'd just have thrown a shifter and oil at it with the parts damaged and never dealt with Ford (FREE)? Seriously asking

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The 1-2 synchro and gears were found to be damaged and there is a bearing in 4th that runs on the shaft that is "wasted" per Ford. That being said, you ask why I would ever take the car in for the issue at hand? So you'd suggest I'd just have thrown a shifter and oil at it with the parts damaged and never dealt with Ford (FREE)? Seriously asking

They replaced my trans under warranty. Grinded on the way home. Not saying your car doesn't have an internal issue, but why does it have the internal trans issues?

And funny you state 4th. My report also noted a problem shifting into 4th on my invoice. I never had a problem going into 4th.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If there is still power train warranty left on the car, its to your advantage to take it in and make a complaint. Also, even if it grinds after the repair, we all know its the stock shifter at the root of the issue. First place it should go is immediately to get an MGW gen2 shifter installed.

MattR

Established Member
I had the dealer install the MGW while the Trans was out for repair. Charged me an hour labor or around $70.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I've posted on this many times too. My Ford dealer told me they never heard of the issue and that there were no documents showing an issue with the tranny/shifter. I pointed him to this site and others and he ridiculed me saying if they listened to every complaint on the web they would go out of business. Well, that was the end of my business. I put in an MGW2 and knock on wood, have not missed a single shift yet. Including a beauty of a shift today at near red line - MGW2 may the car worth owning.... I was about to trade it in on a Vette....

Missyandrob2005

Established Member
My 12 went in for the first set of Synchro's at 10,000 miles, the second set less than a week after getting it back from the first fix, and then a month after getting back the third time it started doing it again. Traded it in on a 14 and so far no problems. Think the 12's had the major issues with the MT82's

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I thought the MT82 was one of the weakest transmissions put in a Mustang? GT owners HATE that transmission and it is known to be WEAK, ten-fold compared to the TR6060. TR6060 is still the "go to" for high horse power and manuals, I mean it is in almost every V-8 manual that is currently offered...MT82 seems like utter junk, a quick google shows that. Owners hate it, and it only goes in the GT.
Fun read, and yeah MT82 is much weaker than the TR6060, and a lot cheaper.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ech/272540-getrag-mt-82-vs-tremec-6060-a.html

"They could have arranged to make the Tremec in China.
The MT82 is a new design with some fancy features that make it a smoother, more precise transmission.
When it isn't broken"
:pop:
Kinda all I've heard about the MT-82, if they put that sucker in the GT350 I will be stunned, pretty sure it is also getting the TR6060, the MT82 is a far cheaper transmission from my understanding, and no one "wants" it, but then again the GT350 as new as it is is probly getting something entirely different from the TR6060 and MT82. More here* http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1045402-GT350-Tremec-TR3160

Still, considering the GT500, and GT350, Challenger, and Camaro are kinda the last manuals in the American market, it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Chevy has their legit Auto trans rated for up to 700hp\tq, (Z06, CTS-V, or ZL1, all around 650HP stock) + the optional 7-speed Tremec manual which I know nothing about, and Dodge has their own automatic 8-speed (60k Charger SRT\Challenger for their 707 HP monster), Ford is kinda in the ??? though this car is what made me love stick and I can't imagine driving it in auto, but with an 8 speed auto putting you at peak hp (4k rpms) anytime you mash the pedal, well yeah...obv why Mclaren\AMG\BMW\Dodge\Chevy\etc it is all about AUTOMATIC now.

But stick is just so much funnnn :rockon:

My mistake didnt see this was for a TR6060.

HidnNOS

Established Member
Picked the car up today, holy SH!T does it feel so much better. No more popping out of 2nd, solid/quiet shift into 2nd and NO more noise in 4th. Now that I know the Trans is solid internally I will not beat on it, I will install the MGW2 to prevent the same thing happening again. Cannot believe people would suggest throwing a shifter at a Trans with bad parts internally, especially when fixed for free!

I'm amazed at the difference and after watching the MGW2 10 minute video showing shifter differences/improvements I feel very solid the actual fix for these things is having a solid Trans internally, then installing the MGW2 shifter.

Hope more can go this route and enjoy their cars!

Users who are viewing this thread