Dropped the Car off Today

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
...at the dealer. They are replacing both heads on the wifes stock 03 vert.

How long should it take and what kind of mess will I be looking at when they get the car back together? I'm guessing broken wire connectors and vacuum lines connected wrong. I did take numerous photos before I dropped it off. The motor has to come out, right?

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Witht he way the dealers seem to be working today I think the car will be there for a while. I know it takes them a week to do simple repairs but for the heads I'm sure you're looking at 3 weeks+ Im sure someone who has had their heads replaced will chime in with a time frame.

So what rental did you get? Focus... huh? :beer:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Great, 3 weeks would suck. Funny thing was my normal advisor was out with a customer so a newbie checked me in and said they should be able to get it done today since they were slow. I asked him if he had and NHRA team back there becuse they are not getting it done without yanking the motor or brake booster from what I could tell.

They were out of the Foci so they upgraded me to an Escape for free.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
how did you know you needed to replace the head?

badazzredcobra

Established Member
If your car is at the dealer then they should give you a svt car are something in that vaule range . When I left mind for miner repairs I picked a loaded 2005 f-150 truck. I think you are in and elite club when it comes down to svt service just call svt

Honkie56

Established Member
Ford does not authroize SVT's as loaner cars, and if they did you'd be getting a Focus, so I'd take the F-150. Second, any car using the MLS (multi layered steel) gasket should have the motor removed because you cannot scrape the head across the gasket without damaging it. Third, the kid who told you it can be done today probably takes a short bus home. If the shop is slow and the tech is good expect a week to two weeks.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Easy said:
how did you know you needed to replace the head?

1st off a little background info...We bought my 03 Cobra at Gaudin Ford here in Vegas and we bought my wifes at a different dealer to remain un-named. Both of us have taken our cars to her selling dealer (they are very close to home and work) only to be dissatisfied with the level of service. I've taken mine to Gaudin for throw out bearings and rear end re-builds under warranty (before the pulley) and I've dealt with the same service advisor since 1994 on previous owned Ford cars and trucks and have never had an issue with them so when the wifes car sounded bad there was no way the selling dealer was going to get a crack at it and I took it to Gaudin.

The car had a very noticable knock on the passenger side in the wheel well. It sounded deeper than the infamous tick so I took the car in. They called me later that day and said come get it, we have to order new heads per a TSB. I verified that they ordered both heads and got the call that the parts were in last Thursday. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow from diagnosis to getting the work started, so all in all that part was great, I just hope it's not something else and the heads fix it.

I should have got a Focus per the rental deal (Ford ESP) per our SVT loaner deal since no dealer locally gives out loaners but they were out of Foci and upgraded me for free to the Escape. It's happened before and I've been moved up to a F-150 too.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
when i first bought my car in june,2004, there were some problems with the interior and a few chips of paint where the windshield wipers were scartching the driver's side a-pillar. i was pissed because they were being so half-assed with me, and i had only owned the car for two weeks. they ended up giving me an '04 convertible GT with a manual. the car had 30 miles on it when they gave it to me, and over 200 after a week's worth of usage--during this week my wife learned to drive a manual.

bottom line, i'd be pissed if i turned in my cobra, and they gave me a focus as a rental. no offense to any focus owners.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
T's Blk03 said:
...at the dealer. They are replacing both heads on the wifes stock 03 vert.

How long should it take and what kind of mess will I be looking at when they get the car back together? I'm guessing broken wire connectors and vacuum lines connected wrong. I did take numerous photos before I dropped it off. The motor has to come out, right?

My car has been at Ford for 40 days as of today. The head was replaced but that was not the problem. The knock is apparently in the block. I should get a new motor from Ford under warranty. I hope to get the car back this month. It's been there since 11-30.

Last edited:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
Ford replaced my motor.....from when I dropped it off and picked it up it took 3 1/2 weeks. And I only had to take it back one time for a problem.

Senkak said:
My car has been at Ford for 40 days as of today. The head was replaced but that was not the problem. The knock is apparently in the block. I should get a new motor from Ford under warranty. I hope to get the car back this month. It's been there since 11-30.

40 DAYS?? 3 1/2 WEEKS! I think I am going to cry. :whine:

P_RsSVT

Established Member
Took mine in this morning and the response I got was that my car was built after 11/1/02. It doesnt qualify for the head replacement cause it already has the head mentioned in the TSB. I told them about a 3rd head built in 05 and they are going to call their tech hot line to find out info on it. Well see.....

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
We'll see, I'm still not convinced that it was the heads making the noise. If so, kudos to Ford for stepping up and fixing the problem. If not, the nightmare begins. Hopefully they call in the morning and I can go by at lunch and see how it all went.

Users who are viewing this thread