Dropped the Car off Today

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
The dealer called and said they have to tear it down again because the cam timing is off. Shouldn't the heads have come pre-assembled? How much damage could they have done if they ran the car with the timing out spec?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Good News!

They tore my motor down for the second time. There is cylinder damage on #3. The cylinder and piston are scored and that was causing piston slap.
I have been approved for a new motor and I should have the car back by mid next week. :D
This is day 43 since the have had my car.

BTW: My warranty ran out on 12-30.

Last edited:

P_RsSVT

Established Member
After 10 calls between 2 days, the dealer has agreed to check my car per the TSB even though they say my car doesnt qualify due to it being built after 11/02. Its going in Monday. Ford tech line told the dealer to treat it the same way. I hope they decide to replace the head....

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Glad to hear you both are getting results. I hope they did not screw up anything on ours by putting it together out of time...

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
my engine was built 07-21-02. I have a slight puffing not quite a ticking sound on my drivers side. I am worried about taking it in.

Last edited:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Listen with your head next to the wheel and see how loud it is. Ours sounded like an old school rod knock before we took it in.

88sc_gt

Cobra #4178
Established Member
sorry to butt in here, i just wanted to ask something.

i just bought an 03 cobra yesterday, im thinking of having ford check my heads to be sure. it doesnt really tick, ill listen by the wheel to be sure, but it is still under warranty. im thinking of having it done to be safe and make sure everything is up to par.

do they charge? never taken anything in for warranty before. thanks

P_RsSVT

Established Member
No they wont charge if its still under warranty. But If you cant hear anything, Ford is sure not going to hear anything, even if there is something there.

P_RsSVT

Established Member
SoCalCobra311 said:
my engine was built 07-01-02. I have a slight puffing not quite a ticking sound on my drivers side. I am worried about taking it in.
Your car falls under the original TSB. I beleive it was anything built prior to 11/02. But, is your car still under warranty??

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
P_RsMach1 said:
Your car falls under the original TSB. I beleive it was anything built prior to 11/02. But, is your car still under warranty??

yeah my car is under warranty (EW). iv heard even if it falls under the TSB and you take it in, if they cant hear anything they wont fix it because they will deny you have the tick.

I put my head by the wheel and listed for the knocking sound. Didnt hear anything there. Just a werid tapping sound every few seconds that I cant locate but its for sure not by the driver side wheel or consistant. I called SVT to see if they can tell if it was taken in by the previous owner for a fix, but I have not recieved my Registration so they will not release any info yet :bored:

Last edited:

P_RsSVT

Established Member
My tick is not as loud as others, but it is definetly there. The best way to hear it is with the hood closed and your head close to the rear of the left front tire. If you do it with the hood open all you will hear are the injectors. It is consistant once it starts ticking. At times when the car is cold I cant hear it. Hope I was of some help...

Last edited:
:( Well the husband went by Ford today and they are doing compression and other testing and think they have a bad head (new head)
They were on the phone with SVT trying to see what is to be done next.

bposner

No Rain, no Rainbows
Established Member
Just bought a 03 11k Cobra, built 7/02. Didn't hear the tick at first, but now I hear it. It's all stock and under ESP warranty. Have called Service Advisor I used for my 01 Cobra. Guess I'll see what happens.

Last edited:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Last I heard, they were doing a leakdown test and awaiting SVT's Auth to tear into it again to see if there is any damage or if the replacement head is messed up... :(

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
T's Blk03 said:
Last I heard, they were doing a leakdown test and awaiting SVT's Auth to tear into it again to see if there is any damage or if the replacement head is messed up... :(

This sounds like my story.
Bad head tick
Replace passenger side head
Tick still there
Wait 2 weeks for FSE to come out and approve tear down again
FSE finally shows up, approves tear down
# 3 cylinder and piston scored causing piston slap
Approved for a new motor
They have had my car 47 Days
It "might" be done by next weekend.
I'm not holding my breath

bposner

No Rain, no Rainbows
Established Member
Well so far the engine is out, and waiting to hear word on what's next. They ordered a new head ahead of time, but have to wait for FSE.

Here are some pics just thought you'd be interested.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

Last edited:

bposner

No Rain, no Rainbows
Established Member
Honkie56 said:
Ford does not authroize SVT's as loaner cars, and if they did you'd be getting a Focus, so I'd take the F-150. Second, any car using the MLS (multi layered steel) gasket should have the motor removed because you cannot scrape the head across the gasket without damaging it. Third, the kid who told you it can be done today probably takes a short bus home. If the shop is slow and the tech is good expect a week to two weeks.

ESP Warranty requires a Ford product if you want the rental taken care of. At least that what it says in my paper work, nothing about a SVT class vehicle. I got a 4 door Focus, through the onsite Enterpise rental place. Problem with it though, the gas gauge doesn't seem to work, it stays in the same place for a long time ;)

Last edited:

P_RsSVT

Established Member
My car has been in the dealer since Jan 16. I call every day and they give me the "it should be ready by tomorrow" That has gone on for about 4 days now. Today the story I got was a blown timing chain cover gasket. Before it was that they needed a special timing chain tool. Before that, I dont remember. I asked about a loaner and they were going to give me a Neon. No thanks. I also own a 03 tahoe so i dont really need the loaner. Im starting to get a little anxious though.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
I had both heads replaced under warranty. Dropped the car off on a Tuesday, picked it up that Saturday. Not one head related problem since! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread