Dropping motor out the bottom????

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
You bottom haters crack me up. You do not need to lift the car half as high as you have to lift the engine to get over the core support. The car without the engine weighs half of what the motor and trans do. Until you see it done lift or no lift you will never understand just how easy it is out the bottom.

And just for you Boosted.........

th_mustangproject002-10.jpg

Thats a little different man lol.

racebronco2

Established Member
Something not mentions before, the a/c will need to be recharged afterwards. Most of us who do work on our own cars do not have access to the a/c refilling equipment. So the time spent or inconvenience to get the a/c recharged must also be figured in.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Something not mentions before, the a/c will need to be recharged afterwards. Most of us who do work on our own cars do not have access to the a/c refilling equipment. So the time spent or inconvenience to get the a/c recharged must also be figured in.

Not necessary if you unbolt the compressor and hang it off to the side when going through the top. Not sure through the bottom.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Not necessary if you unbolt the compressor and hang it off to the side when going through the top. Not sure through the bottom.

Sorry for the confusion but i was referring to those who prefer to take the engine out thru the bottom. It takes me 2 hours to remove the tranny and 4 hours to remove the engine.

95PGTTech

Established Member
That may be true for someone that does it for a living AND owns a 2 post lift, but the op is not in that category, so it would be much easier AND safer to remove it from the top. I have a lift, but since it is a drive on, it would even be easier for me to pull it out the top. Plus as others have pointed out, why would you want to bother with disassembling suspension, steering, brake lines, etc. if you don't need to? The only way I would think that made sense was if you were changing out the k-member as an upgrade while doing the rest, or maybe installing longtubes, since it is easier with the k removed...

While having a two post lift, extra hands to help, and the Ford engine cradle dolly at my work certainly helps, I've done plenty of side jobs at my house in my two car garage through the bottom as well. It is far easier, and almost a necessity on LT cars with a trans without a separate bellhousing. Nothing special, Harbor Freight engine hoist attached to the radiator support with a bracket I made in five minutes with a drill bit and a spare piece of steel.

My point was that if the guys like myself that do this for a living say through the bottom is easier and quicker, it obviously is. You may be doing the bottom method wrong, or in the wrong order, or just plain intimidated that makes you think through the top is better. You do this for the fun of modifying your car; we do it to put food on our dinner table.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
While having a two post lift, extra hands to help, and the Ford engine cradle dolly at my work certainly helps, I've done plenty of side jobs at my house in my two car garage through the bottom as well. It is far easier, and almost a necessity on LT cars with a trans without a separate bellhousing. Nothing special, Harbor Freight engine hoist attached to the radiator support with a bracket I made in five minutes with a drill bit and a spare piece of steel.

My point was that if the guys like myself that do this for a living say through the bottom is easier and quicker, it obviously is. You may be doing the bottom method wrong, or in the wrong order, or just plain intimidated that makes you think through the top is better. You do this for the fun of modifying your car; we do it to put food on our dinner table.

I may be doing a complete power train swap between 2 cars soon...any harm in using two 3-4" slings around the radiator support? Thinking about doing this at work where I could just a forklift to pick the car up

also, can the AC system stay intact when going out through the bottom?

Satyr

Established Member
Lots of good info in here. I want to do this next winter and have been trying to figure outnthe drop the engine and tranny and then have room to reinstall with lt headers afterwards.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I may be doing a complete power train swap between 2 cars soon...any harm in using two 3-4" slings around the radiator support? Thinking about doing this at work where I could just a forklift to pick the car up

Yes, the AC system can stay intact when going out the bottom. Just move the compressor and attached lines out of the way while lowering the k-member. Both ways will work, but personally I will never pull the engine out the top anymore. Dropping it out of the bottom is not as difficult as some may make it seem, and on 4v cars, especially with LT headers, it is just way less of a headache. It can be done both ways, thats just my .02

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Help me out here, guys..

I've got a 4 valve with Pacesetter long tubes. It's out of the car, currently. It has a stock bell T56 behind it.

I have a QA1 K-member on the car already (rolling chassis).

Can I go in through the top with the headers in place? Or, should I remove the K-member from the car, bolt the engine to it, and roll it under the car?

I've done lots of 2 valve stuff, but, never tried a 4 valve with LT's.

Travis

95PGTTech

Established Member

Yes. If you're going to lift by the rad support, just spread the weight out. There are also tow hooks in the front forward frame rails just outside the crash beam if you have hooks.

Blown...because you have the factory T56, you can either remove the trans case in car around the LTs and then pull engine/LT/bellhousing or you can do the entire assembly out the top. My point was that it's easier, requires less tools for the DIY mechanic, and a ton faster to just drop the K.

Done right, I've left the front wheels on the front suspension and K and ROLLED the powertrain out from under the car, no specialty tools.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for the help sonic and 95

doing a full motor/trans swap and I wanna swap the kmembers and such as well, thats the only way to fly it seems

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Yes. If you're going to lift by the rad support, just spread the weight out. There are also tow hooks in the front forward frame rails just outside the crash beam if you have hooks.

Blown...because you have the factory T56, you can either remove the trans case in car around the LTs and then pull engine/LT/bellhousing or you can do the entire assembly out the top. My point was that it's easier, requires less tools for the DIY mechanic, and a ton faster to just drop the K.

Done right, I've left the front wheels on the front suspension and K and ROLLED the powertrain out from under the car, no specialty tools.

I'm installing.. not pulling. ;)

What's the easiest way to go about installing WITH the longtubes on?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I'm installing.. not pulling. ;)

What's the easiest way to go about installing WITH the longtubes on?

Through the top. Just go through the top.

Pulling the motor out the bottom of a car with out a lift is about as idiotic as attaching an engine hoist to the radiator support to lift the front of the car that high.

Last time I check the radiator support was called a radiator support cause its what ties the front frame rails together and support a radiator.

Its not called a frame support, or a frame rail. Its not designed to hold the weight of the car. If you get by with out bending the rad. support then more power to you but I am someone that uses items for what they are designed for. As for en egnine hoist, Ill use it to pull the engine. The radiator support, Ill go ahead and bolt my radiator to it.

Using an engine hoist to hold a car up by the radiator support. lol!!!
Why dont you start using a rim and tire for a seat, or maybe your stereo as a steering wheel. Well hell lets all start driving on the grass and parking in the lake since we dont use common sense anymore.

Ill be sure to post a "Sorry to hear" comment for ya'lls thread your family and friends post about you when your call falls on your head. :beer:

Each to their own. Not to say it hasent been done but safety is the game when dealing with that kind of stuff. 1 wrong move and death can happen. Its not like we are building a go cart here.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Who said that I didn't have a lift?

And, why are you jumping my sh*t? lol.. I simply asked which way was easier with a set of long tubes attached. I've never tried it one way or the other, honestly (4 valve, anyway).

I build cars for a living.. I don't stick tires under a car. I had a friend who was killed when his truck fell on top of him. If anything, I am overly cautious when working under a vehicle that's supported by anything other than it's own tires.

I also never said that pulling on the radiator support was a good idea.. Maybe you mistook me for someone else, or accidentally quoted me, but, I never said any of that stuff. lol..

Travis

Through the top. Just go through the top.

Pulling the motor out the bottom of a car with out a lift is about as idiotic as attaching an engine hoist to the radiator support to lift the front of the car that high.

Last time I check the radiator support was called a radiator support cause its what ties the front frame rails together and support a radiator.

Its not called a frame support, or a frame rail. Its not designed to hold the weight of the car. If you get by with out bending the rad. support then more power to you but I am someone that uses items for what they are designed for. As for en egnine hoist, Ill use it to pull the engine. The radiator support, Ill go ahead and bolt my radiator to it.

Using an engine hoist to hold a car up by the radiator support. lol!!!
Why dont you start using a rim and tire for a seat, or maybe your stereo as a steering wheel. Well hell lets all start driving on the grass and parking in the lake since we dont use common sense anymore.

Ill be sure to post a "Sorry to hear" comment for ya'lls thread your family and friends post about you when your call falls on your head. :beer:

Each to their own. Not to say it hasent been done but safety is the game when dealing with that kind of stuff. 1 wrong move and death can happen. Its not like we are building a go cart here.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
save your self a few many headaches & busted & sore body parts & drop it out & put it back FROM THE BOTTOM ive done it both ways & it sucks from the top !!!

GoatSlayer

Banned
I pulled my engine through the top alone in 4.5 hours, and it was my first time pulling the motor out of anything. I used an engine leveler which make it very is easy.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Who said that I didn't have a lift?

And, why are you jumping my sh*t? lol.. I simply asked which way was easier with a set of long tubes attached. I've never tried it one way or the other, honestly (4 valve, anyway).

I build cars for a living.. I don't stick tires under a car. I had a friend who was killed when his truck fell on top of him. If anything, I am overly cautious when working under a vehicle that's supported by anything other than it's own tires.

I also never said that pulling on the radiator support was a good idea.. Maybe you mistook me for someone else, or accidentally quoted me, but, I never said any of that stuff. lol..

Travis

Lol I just quoted you, but was commenting on the whole thread. I didnt state any of that other than "Go through the top" towards you. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread