Drove a Boss 302 today. Wow!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Just to add the 2012 Boss has skip shift 1 to 4 when you shift in low RPM's under 3000 RPM's the 2013 do not as Ford eliminated it. Just some info you might find useful.

Mine also had the LS gauge cluster up on the dash above the radio also.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If you think that is fun op, should try one out at the track, going balls to the wall for a 20 minute sessions would be a blast in the Boss 302.
Agree 100%. I would be an ear to ear grin the whole time. To say I was pleasantly surprise at how good the car felt to drive is an understatement! I have to imagine the GT350 improves upon this car tremendously.

But I give credit where credit is due, the Boss development team coaxed every last bit of handling out of the S197 chassis. At least for a road going production car. Very special indeed.

Recon

Established Member
One of the very few mustangs newer than 09 I’d own, and the color I’d want. Does it have the premium 6 gauge instrument cluster? Leather Recaro seats? I knew someone here that had a Roadrunner and man that engine is strong. I agree the MT-82 is a mistake, luckily there are Tremec’s that are compatible with the Roadrunner.

Pick your poison.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
One of the very few mustangs newer than 09 I’d own, and the color I’d want. Does it have the premium 6 gauge instrument cluster? Leather Recaro seats? I knew someone here that had a Roadrunner and man that engine is strong. I agree the MT-82 is a mistake, luckily there are Tremec’s that are compatible with the Roadrunner.

Pick your poison.

09???

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Had a Boss before I bought the 350. They are two different animals. The Boss felt more raw like a new broken horse that is just waiting to turn on you. The 350 is faster, handles better, and is much more predictable. I do miss the Boss at times though, I wish I could have kept both.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have driven a 2013 boss 302 and a 2016 GT350. The GT350 is a lot more fun to drive IMO. But the boss 302 feels more raw.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Bosses are sweet cars no doubt. Stock vs stock a Boss is a huge upgrade over a GT. But a smartly upgraded suspension can have a GT crushing it on a road course, and at the drag strip an M6 GT with 3.73’s will stay right with a Boss. Where the Boss shines (besides resale value) over a Track Pack ‘11-‘14 GT is the forged internals should you wish to throw some boost at it. You’d still want OPG’s but that’s about it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
HA HAAAAAAAAA
"Empty-82" trans.
Its true. The trans in this Boss feels better than I thought it would be. The MT-82 in my old (dads) GT felt... hollow if that's even a good analogy. The shifter throws felt off.

I put a Whiteline trans mount bushing insert in for my Dad. It's stiffened the torque flex at the transmission rear, and improved the shifter feel. My dad loves it so hey its all good. He doesn't race it or track it. But a good San Diego mountain road or country road to Julian, CA and it makes him smile!

I found this comparison between the Boss and GT350. Both seem to be pretty incredible for what they are designed for!

cbj5259

Established Member
One of my greatest regrets is selling my 2013 Boss. I bought it new in June of 2012 and got rid of it in 2016 for a Viper. The Viper was a dream car...but they say you should never meet your heroes. The Viper was very rough around the edges and a ton fun as a once in a while driving experience. Yet it also ran hot in the cockpit and was just a beast on the street, not something you could drive everyday. The Boss was something I could go out in all the time, was fairly comfortable and everything always worked. The Viper got looks, but the Boss was much more pleasurable to drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
6f7691b64903afd38f151698f9518b71.jpg

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
One of my greatest regrets is selling my 2013 Boss. I bought it new in June of 2012 and got rid of it in 2016 for a Viper. The Viper was a dream car...but they say you should never meet your heroes. The Viper was very rough around the edges and a ton fun as a once in a while driving experience. Yet it also ran hot in the cockpit and was just a beast on the street, not something you could drive everyday. The Boss was something I could go out in all the time, was fairly comfortable and everything always worked. The Viper got looks, but the Boss was much more pleasurable to drive.

View attachment 1500914

That’s the color to have right there!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

View attachment 1500914
I love driving my viper and can drive it everyday. Good thing my commute is non existent.
If cabin heat was an issue you should have deleted the secondary cats. They do absolutely nothing but generate heat and I drive with windows down and don’t smell like exhaust even tho the exit is right next to the window.
Best mod imo was deleting the secondary cats. Elevated the heat by basically 50%. It will get hot on a 90F+ day but not leg scorching hot like stock.

Users who are viewing this thread