Drove our 5.0's from Virginia to Vortech Engineering (V3Si Build)

PhillyLS1

Established Member
My Vortech V3Si Build 8/21 Update

Drove my Mustang (sterling silver Brembo GT) from Virginia to California with my girlfriend in her Mustang (gotta have it green Brembo GT) at the end of June. I never thought I would have done this in a Ford, but I'm glad I did.

What a great experience. It was a total bucket list achievement for me, and I gotta tell ya, it was great (except for New Mexico).

Averaged between 85mph and 90mph (most speed limits are 75 past Tennessee) and we got around 24mpg! We filled up with 93 octane up until we couldn't get it anymore.

We stopped 3 times. Once in Arkansas, once in Albuquerque and then finally Oxnard California. All in all around 34+ hours of road time and about $700.00 in gas for both cars :)

If you guys want I'll update this as a build thread.

Here's the cars at Vortech's shop:

523771_10150944338476247_1444949439_n.jpg

Up on the lift for a wideband:

480498_10150957786046247_1987244078_n.jpg

Baseline Dyno:

523977_440908392609384_1018951959_n.jpg

Green Car's Kit arrives:

IMG_3564.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Randoms of my car at the shop:

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

Last edited:

PhillyLS1

Established Member
End of June.. where are the rest of the pics?!

Cool trip :) Did both cars get blowers?

I didn't post pics of non car related stuff like .... tourist pics. Plus we were haul'n ass the whole time to make sure we got back to DC in enough time to return to work. I got back the 5th of July.

I'm relying on one of the engineers to send me back progress pics :shrug:

Both cars are in the process of getting blowers. I wanted a black blower for my car as well and Vortech is in the process of making it for me.

The cars are getting other things too... :burnout:

nicksender

Established Member
That sounds like an great road trip. I would think it would be challenging to have two people driving together on their own out there assuming you didn't have passengers.

Edit: Oops I posted this below a minute before your previous response and missed it.

So are both your cars getting Vortech superchargers or just your girlfriend's as shown in the pics with the blower? I assume you are going with Vortech doing the install and their standard tune for the warranty?

If it's only her car getting the supercharger she is going to get back home way before you! :p

Last edited:

Charisma

Established Member
I've been lurking for this thread, Keith. Congrats. Really excited to see the progress, despite missing out on my part of the deal perhaps once R&D is done I will have the funds saved up again to pick one up.

Keep me updated, dude! Have to get all of us together (you, me and our wimminz) in a few weeks.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
That sounds like an great road trip. I would think it would be challenging to have two people driving together on their own out there assuming you didn't have passengers.

Edit: Oops I posted this below a minute before your previous response and missed it.

So are both your cars getting Vortech superchargers or just your girlfriend's as shown in the pics with the blower? I assume you are going with Vortech doing the install and their standard tune for the warranty?

If it's only her car getting the supercharger she is going to get back home way before you! :p

Both cars are getting V3-SI blowers. Both are getting the 8-rib upgrade and High-Flow Competition Air Inlet Upgrade

The trip wasn't that rough :rockon: We had walkie-talkies with a pretty good range. So it was like having someone next to you. We loaded up on AAA batteries from Wal-Mart and we were set :thumbsup:

Vortech is doing the installation so all THEIR warranties apply. Ford's warranty? LOL not so much. :lol1:

Last edited:

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
I didn't post pics of non car related stuff like .... tourist pics. Plus we were haul'n ass the whole time to make sure we got back to DC in enough time to return to work. I got back the 5th of July.

Gotcha. Yeah, I wasn't asking for tourist pics :lol: I assumed you drove to Vortech for installs and then drove back. I didn't realize you left the cars there.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
24mpg? i was getting like 27-28 from texas to cali and one tank i got 30.75.

that gotta have it green makes my peepee sneeze.

The average temp was like 105. In fact at one point we saw 113 degrees :burn:

BEFORE that, I was averaging around 26mpg with less than 1000 miles on the car ;-)

Charisma

Established Member
The average temp was like 105. In fact at one point we saw 113 degrees :burn:

BEFORE that, I was averaging around 26mpg with less than 1000 miles on the car ;-)

So do you take back the harassment I got when I told you I was buying a Mustang yet? :burnout:;-)

PhillyLS1

Established Member
So do you take back the harassment I got when I told you I was buying a Mustang yet? :burnout:;-)

I had a 2011 V6 when I was trying to help you make a decision. And my statement stands. The LS3/TR6060 is a better drivetrain IMHO. The Camaros for 2013 are quicker than previous years :bash:

The problem with the Camaro is everything else I have to sit in every day and my SUBJECTIVE opinion the Mustang looks better. Plus I like the SRA. I won't worry about breaking the rear. I'll worry about breaking the MT82 :D

I'm sure they are well broke in now. What was the total mileage of the trip?

Approximately 2700 miles.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Still haven't been able to break mine with the Paxton and I have been shifting the hell out of it since the blower. T56 magnum is in my future, but only if/when this MT82 grenades on me.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
Still haven't been able to break mine with the Paxton and I have been shifting the hell out of it since the blower. T56 magnum is in my future, but only if/when this MT82 grenades on me.

FLAMESUIT ON:

I think how fast a manual transmission blows up on people has more to do with the driver than people would like to admit.

I have the smaller version of the T-56 in my camaro. I've been putting 900+ hp through it for quite a while, and it wasn't only until recent (after 100K miles) that the thing broke.

The trans in my 11' V6 was a piece of crap. But it wasn't half as bad as people were complaining.

Also, I'm hoping Ford made some changes to the 13 trans to give us some more longevity.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
FLAMESUIT ON:

I think how fast a manual transmission blows up on people has more to do with the driver than people would like to admit.

I have the smaller version of the T-56 in my camaro. I've been putting 900+ hp through it for quite a while, and it wasn't only until recent (after 100K miles) that the thing broke.

The trans in my 11' V6 was a piece of crap. But it wasn't half as bad as people were complaining.

Also, I'm hoping Ford made some changes to the 13 trans to give us some more longevity.

I could agree with that. I've had quite the luck with transmissions I guess. My 92 has the stock AOD with a shift kit and custom built 3000 rpm stall, Paxton Novi 1000, cam, massaged heads, AFM power pipe etc, etc and I have not been able to destroy that slushbox. That car has 120,000 miles on it...

Anyways, I think it's either driving style or their quality control sucks and a few shitty ones slip off the line. I'm having fun with mine!

ctrlraven

The Birdman
Established Member
Still can't believe you got a GT of your own but then again it was the most logical thing to do. lol

What kind of time frame did Vortech give you for the cars?

Charisma

Established Member
I had a 2011 V6 when I was trying to help you make a decision. And my statement stands. The LS3/TR6060 is a better drivetrain IMHO. The Camaros for 2013 are quicker than previous years :bash:

The problem with the Camaro is everything else I have to sit in every day and my SUBJECTIVE opinion the Mustang looks better. Plus I like the SRA. I won't worry about breaking the rear. I'll worry about breaking the MT82 :D

Approximately 2700 miles.

A6 model FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread