Dumb city of ricers

OBGT

Moving On Up!
Established Member
I had one in a new civic si pull up next me at a light yesterday. He did the engine rev and looked over at me and said "sounds like your pos mustang is missing alittle". I said "its called a cam dumba**" and rolled my window up. When the light turned green he stomped it hitting the rev limiter like 20 times. I just shook my head and went on with my day. I'm just very surprised he actually knew that my coupe was a mustang, they usually ALWAYS ask what make and model is it.

stangposse

Established Member
This thread makes me want to make a video I've been contemplating......even though I have so many more important things to do with my time.

Usually, when the weekend is over, I gas up my Cobra before parking it for the week. Most of the time I return to the same gas station, moments later, to fill up my DD for the upcoming week. There is a pack of VW/Audi drivers that usually hang out at this particular gas station on Sunday nights. When I pull in the station with the Cobra, they don't say much. They don't look at me or my car and just carry on. BUT....when I return with my daily driver V6 240hp Accord Coupe, it seems to stir the pot. A few of them will start their cars, talk loudly about the V-tec's they've slaughtered, discuss turning up the boost on their cars and bust out the terrycloth towel and shine their rides. Each time, at least one of them would follow me out of the station and blow by me. Seriously.....this has happened like I described about a dozen times this summer.

Given the amount of predictability, I could easily make a video, or a series for that matter, documenting this.

I don't have anything against them really. They love their cars just like we do. Most of their cars are nice and they're pretty much harmless aside from some of their spirited driving. I just find it amusing how their tone changes, collectively, when a faster car comes around.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I never get anyone that wants to race.. I try and instigate it with worthy opponents, and sometimes I'll get a bite, but not very often..

and NEVER do ricers want to play.. geee I wonder why..

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
I had one in a new civic si pull up next me at a light yesterday. He did the engine rev and looked over at me and said "sounds like your pos mustang is missing alittle". I said "its called a cam dumba**" and rolled my window up. When the light turned green he stomped it hitting the rev limiter like 20 times. I just shook my head and went on with my day. I'm just very surprised he actually knew that my coupe was a mustang, they usually ALWAYS ask what make and model is it.

yea sure cool story bro, im sure he had a girl in his passeneger seat that kept looking at u....

At to the OP:

U ask why do people who drive little cars that have performance modifcations done to it race you? Well its not rocket science or anything but its because the car there driving... it may be slow, but they like all of us like to mod there cars and race against other people. If im driving in My almost stock GT and i see a lambo or a gt500, i try to race them too, simply for the fun to see it take off....sure i know im gonna lose really bad, but i like to see what the car has because I just like every little rice out there, enjoy cars.

Those ricers that r picking on u probably like your car, otherwise it wouldnt have stood out...

Get off ur high horse, if u dont like people trying to race ur god almighty cobra then dont drive it... its like taking your hotgirlfriend to a club, if u cant deal with people trying to hit on her, looking at her or talking to her dont take her out to those places in the first place

Most the times im in my cobra little ricers will try to get me to go, i just put on a quick show, and shut it down...and they get a kick out of it...there still car enthusiast...no matter what shit they drive

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
yea sure cool story bro, im sure he had a girl in his passeneger seat that kept looking at u....

At to the OP:

U ask why do people who drive little cars that have performance modifcations done to it race you? Well its not rocket science or anything but its because the car there driving... it may be slow, but they like all of us like to mod there cars and race against other people. If im driving in My almost stock GT and i see a lambo or a gt500, i try to race them too, simply for the fun to see it take off....sure i know im gonna lose really bad, but i like to see what the car has because I just like every little rice out there, enjoy cars.

Those ricers that r picking on u probably like your car, otherwise it wouldnt have stood out...

Get off ur high horse, if u dont like people trying to race ur god almighty cobra then dont drive it... its like taking your hotgirlfriend to a club, if u cant deal with people trying to hit on her, looking at her or talking to her dont take her out to those places in the first place

Most the times im in my cobra little ricers will try to get me to go, i just put on a quick show, and shut it down...and they get a kick out of it...there still car enthusiast...no matter what shit they drive

Some of them yes......Misguided car enthusiasts, but car enthusiasts nonetheless :)

I have a friend that owns a sentra spec V that he recently put a turbo on. He actually thought he stood a chance against my supercharged mach 1. Keep in mind he runs high 15s at my altitude WITH the turbo. Even if I was completely stock I would still wipe the floor with him.

Some of them do actually think their car is faster than it is, however, I do understand your point.

SlowLNF

Established Member
I can't get anyone to mess with me in my Cobra. It's nice most of the time but I get that itch to have a random run with some car.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
I think that it's a combination of things. First off the Fast and Furious movies make it seem like FWD Honda's and the like are the fastest cars in the world. A lack of automotive understanding also adds to this confusion when they bolt on intakes and exhaust systems that say they'll add 35 horsepower. Then they get cocky and think that they can race anything.

My friend goes to UTI which is a local auto tech school. He just bought a semi gutted Civic hatch, I think its an EG. It has a JDM B16A in it I believe. Previous owner took it to mid 14's I think.

Long story short he wants to run my LX Notch which is an H/C/I car. Despite having been in my car, he thinks that his Civic is going to outrun it. Then when I explain to him horsepower to weight ratio's, etc., he still thinks that it's going to walk my car. This all after I show him that there are numerous stock 5.0's into the mid 14's. It just boggles my mind that even after numerical proof, they still think that magically their cars are just going to be faster.

It's a combination of misinformation, lack of knowledge, and ignorance that makes them behave how they do.

Last edited:

10th03Snake

Established Member
ok a different persective....If your in your coba and a Lambo goes past you, don't you want to see it roll out. Now most cobra owners are older than 18 so we may not go flying by them or ask to race but, I'm sure you pace them and or give it a little more gas leaving the stop light...I had a lambo pass me on the freeway last summer and I tried to get him to race....lol

Most just want to see the beast in action...

I think this has a lot to do with it too. They do it to my mom in her Z06 a good bit. Heck I even did to her one day. Just wanted to see her get on it. That and I just think some of them have no idea.

ScoJack

Established Member
Happens all the time around here. Granted most people just think my car is just an old black one. When I first bought it in 2007 about half the people knew what it was and the other didnt.

Then the most recent Fast & Furious came out, and someone had to go and put a Buick in a movie like that. Now I get the "F&F car" alot.

My car isnt really that fast to be honest compared to others around here. Plus its hurt so Ive just been cruising it around lately. We've got snow here now so it wont leave the garage for a while.

Ive had all kinds of people try and run me, imports and domestics alike. All the imports want 60mph+ roll runs and all the other domestics are on big tires. My car runs fast enough as it sits for me.

But I do agree its, part ignorance and part people wanting to see a fast car run...

Users who are viewing this thread