Dyno: 2.80" pulley, Diablo

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Guys,

To run 124mph in the quarter at a 3850lb total race weight it would take approximately 567rwhp which is roughly 667bhp.

To run 117mph in the quarter at a 3850lb race weight it would take approximatley 477rwhp which is roughly 561bhp.

I can tell you right now, if Haveight 13R is running 124mph trap speeds at full weight, he has done some SERIOUS mods!!!

Mark

P.S. Check out this race calculator. It returns REAR WHEEL HP required to run a certain speed at a given weight. http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_hpformph.asp

03DOHC

Established Member
"The Corral - Horsepower Estimator

Your trapspeed was 121 miles per hour
and your vehicle weight was 3850 pounds.

You are making 544 hp."

462.4rwhp assuming 15% loss.

"HAVEIGHT ? We Do!
2003 Sonic blue
"Big 12" Lightining K&N filter, 2.80 pulley, gatorback belt 74.5 in., JDM chip, Denso Irdium IT20's, KB Strut tower Brace, and Sub-frames, Bassani catted X-pipe
Paul's High Performance Custom 03 Exhaust, Boost Bypass Mod.
463RWHP/445TRQ
Best ET 12.01@121.76"

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
"The Corral - Horsepower Estimator

Your trapspeed was 121 miles per hour
and your vehicle weight was 3850 pounds.

You are making 544 hp."

462.4rwhp assuming 15% loss.

"HAVEIGHT ? We Do!
2003 Sonic blue
"Big 12" Lightining K&N filter, 2.80 pulley, gatorback belt 74.5 in., JDM chip, Denso Irdium IT20's, KB Strut tower Brace, and Sub-frames, Bassani catted X-pipe
Paul's High Performance Custom 03 Exhaust, Boost Bypass Mod.
463RWHP/445TRQ
Best ET 12.01@121.76"

Hey Bro,

All of these HP calculators give RWHP and not brake horsepower. They are based on physics/math and have no way of knowing what the drivetrain loss is so they can't really estimate brake (crankshaft) horsepower. As a result, they give RWHP.

Mark

03DOHC

Established Member
okie dokie. Just bench racing here since neither of us are going this fast :).

Try this calculator-->BHP Calc

Caveat "This can only give a close estimate."

Last edited:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
okie dokie. Just bench racing here since neither of us are going this fast :).

Try this calculator-->BHP Calc

Caveat "This can only give a close estimate."

Not that I wouldn't like to go that fast!!!! :) Come on Haveight 13R, what are your mods??!!! Jimmy V, you hold him and I'll hit him then we'll switch!!! :p

Mark

Rob Raymer

Established Member
Thanks for trying to help me out, but as mjchip said, he's about 60-80rwhp shy of being able to run 124 if the car is full weight. So something is a miss.
Now that I see he re-dynoed 481rwhp, that would put him a little closer. But still not enough for 124, IMHO. Though I hope I'm wrong. Then that would mean if I could just gain another 38rwhp, I'd pick up 10mph in the 1/4. That'd be sweet.:)

Either way, he picked up Hp somewhere. It would be nice to get the fully story on it. Very impressive nonetheless.

W884NO1

Established Member
after having modded 10 Cobras,The Dyno Shop in San Diego says they are getting better numbers by reprogramming the stock computor as opposed to aftermarket chips. feedback please.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by W884NO1
after having modded 10 Cobras,The Dyno Shop in San Diego says they are getting better numbers by reprogramming the stock computor as opposed to aftermarket chips. feedback please.
Welcome to the site!:thumbsup: You can also post this question in the JDM Tech section.

jtfx6552

Established Member
That's interesting. I'm making the exact same hp as you (443rwhp), and I can only run 114 also. Though I was only running on the stock tires.
So my question is, how did MM&FF run 118 with 2 less rwhp than us?? They claimed 441rwhp and 12.01 @ 118 on stock tires.

One thing to remember with MM&FF is they use STD hp ratings.

I am not sure what the weather was like for their testing on that car, but they claim 14+psi of boost. I have the same setup (with a chip)and have never seen more than 13 psi.

The dyno curve looks exactly(well as much as I can tell from that little picture) like my curves with a chip. If they didn't use a chip, which they specifically say they tried one for a brief moment and took it off, they must have fattened it up in the low end some other way.

MM&FF also removed the passenger seat and sway bar for some of their runs (I don't have the issue handy, not sure if they did that on the runs you are referring to)

I dyno'ed at 433 SAE RWHP (441 STD rwhp) and trapped last week at 115.63 at 2000 ft AA at Maple Grove, and this week 116.63 MPH at Cecil County. On the Cecil run I broke loose the tires in 1st gear and actually let off for a split second, which usually kills MPH, but not on that run obviously.

JT

03DOHC

Established Member
Well, I guess those timeslips should lay all those 114mph naysayers to rest.

Rob Raymer

Established Member
I'm not doubting the 114mph (I ran that also with my 443std/435sae rwhp). What I am not understanding is the 124mph pass with just 40 more rear wheel Hp than me and JT. Eevn with JT's 116mph pass, that's still 8 more mph than him. And like I said, only 40 more rwhp. See what I'm saying?

FWIW, MM&FF claimed the 12.01 @118 was on stock tires with the full interior, spare tire, etc.

Pretty amazing...

Rob Raymer

Established Member
Just trying to be logical about it. It's simple mathematics: "X" mph combined with "Y" amount of weight equals "Z" amount of HP. There's no magic in it.

I'm not saying his car can't run 124. I'm just saying I don't see how it can do it at full weight with that HP. So don't look at it as though I'm saying he didn't run 124, but instead, possibly the dyno is off?

david smilovic

Established Member
You need a reburn,I have searched Hi and Lo for a local Dyno Tune NON-Existent!!! STINKS.On the Vette which is what my shop specializes in for 495.00 yiu sit there with an actual education from your Tech.For now I would swith back to stock,from what I hear its a few weeks to get your chip back I PRAY thats not the pain in Butt truth.
Have your Dyno graph sent in but if I were you I would run 1 or 1/2 Tank of 109 race fuel to remeve that KR and see what the beast will do.In a forced air car Turbo/blower you can GRENADE that wonderful car and guess who pays.
Chevy has LS1 Edit up to 02' and you can buy 1 unit for your car a little dyno time and a laptop for final trims and maps and your set.
We got back a ATI prcharged motor putting down 7 Lbs of boost on a 383 stroker it just was a matter of 2 HOURS and we had it upped by 98 ponnies at the wheels.Other than tunning which is a huge issue this motor can put out more for less than anything in many years its quite the design,however Ford did such a GREAT job stock somehow they thouht 400 rrwhp was all we wanted they should know better and Ford should burn chips for you according to your spec.After all after dealing with these A holes I appreciate the Pr....x at GM.Yours truly,David Smilovic.
BE CAREFUL,I'm going to be an ATI test mule so I will run upwards of 18 Lbs but I wish I was in control of my own destiny.Im happy you had a pull on a machine and you posted it the Dyno tech should have ripped the chip out and sent it back for you after all thats what he is paid for to cover your arsse.Just venting PISSED at FORD read my cylinder head post and you'll get it I know I got it and wasnt kissed either!!Dave S.
PS you may check for bely slippage 1 in 1001 chance or worse

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Rob Raymer
Just trying to be logical about it. It's simple mathematics: "X" mph combined with "Y" amount of weight equals "Z" amount of HP. There's no magic in it.

I'm not saying his car can't run 124. I'm just saying I don't see how it can do it at full weight with that HP. So don't look at it as though I'm saying he didn't run 124, but instead, possibly the dyno is off?

.....or he ran at a track that runs down hill with a strong tail wind!! :)

Seriously, Haveight 13R what are your mods? 124mph and your published power level/mods just don't add up.

Mark

jtfx6552

Established Member
Seriously, Haveight 13R what are your mods? 124mph and your published power level/mods just don't add up.

Well his ET and MPH don't go together real well,, man if my car ran 124 I'd be goin' 11.50, even on F1's (using the 1 MPH is worth .1 rule of thumb, which usually I have found to be vey accurate. Actually, I think the abnormally high MPH may be related to the poor ET. Sometimes with wheelspin (to a point obviously, then it goes the other way) will raise MPH a little.

If he does have other stuff done and doesn't want to say exactly what, that's cool, because Bowling Green is coming up, and it it is a race.

JT

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Matt does not have access to a computer that often so i will chime in here on what i know,the 2 differences Matt has on his car is he has a 12 inch big filter and also has a 3 inch catback on that might be making a difference.He has only ran 124 once and the temps were around 75 when he made that pass.He has been running consistant 120-121 at two different tracks in his area.His mods are in his signature,very basic setup nothing else done to the car.I have been giving him a Torco Race Consentrate before he goes to the track also,but not sure if that would give him more MPH.Believe me i talk about this with Matt all the time why he is trapping alot higher than everyone else with the same mods and the only thing different is his 3 inch exhaust and 12 inch filter setup!

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Once again if yu guys have any questions direct them to me and I will anwser them as quickly as possible. I haven't done anything that isn't listed in my sig. I can't explain how I get those times either. I don't get alot of wheel spin.:thumbsup:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by HAVEIGHT 13R
Once again if yu guys have any questions direct them to me and I will anwser them as quickly as possible. I haven't done anything that isn't listed in my sig. I can't explain how I get those times either. I don't get alot of wheel spin.:thumbsup:

Just wanted to say congratulations on getting one helluva car!!! :)

Cheers,

Mark

coleman

Established Member
so, how subjective is custom programming?
does the computer do all the work, or is it an art?
in other works, if "Dallas Mustang" says they can custom tune my 2003 Cobra, should I believe them and go for it?
Or, should I wait until someone comes to town that's done so many custom-tunes....

Oh, I went to the autocross and rag'd the hell out of it anyway. My in-car videos will be up shortly... my performance was, at least, respectible this time...

Users who are viewing this thread