Dyno is not going well

fastlane1999

Established Member
Ok I need some advice this is driving me nutz! So I went to the dyno this past weekend my numbers two years ago were 475/469 with BAP MAF 2600 ported blower 2.8 upper stock lower O/R x pipe mac catback. That being said I wanted to get 60# inj's in so I did and took it back to the dyno and when I left there sat night mad my numbers were 467/442 How is this even possible? I got the injectors so I can get a 2lb lower but kinda holding off on this till I figure out if my car is just a piece of chit or my tuner is being a dick and not tuning my car the way it needs to be. With what I have done what you guys think I should have made timing @ 19* AFR's 11.8/12.1 on dyno sheet and max 13 psi please help me this is going to drive me crazy roughly same weather conditions from the last dyno pulls and IAT 87.1!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I think you could take more timing probably.

Also these cars are really sensitive to heat what were IAT2s between the dyno runs?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you could take more timing probably.

Also these cars are really sensitive to heat what were IAT2s between the dyno runs?

I agree with the timing. I would think 20-22 degrees of timing, especially since op is running lower boost. Also op ask your tuner what he has the ecu set at to start pulling timing from intercooler temps! My tuner has mine at 130*, but you said yours was at 128*. What if your tuner has yours setup up to start pulling timing at 120*!

Last edited:

fastlane1999

Established Member
I talked with him he said it runs the same way the stock tune does and that was to always be looking to pull timing as it would stock???

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I talked with him he said it runs the same way the stock tune does and that was to always be looking to pull timing as it would stock???

What? He didn't change that at all? I think stock the ecu starts pulling timing as early as 100* intercooler temps! Someone else may be able to verify that number, but most tuners change that.

fastlane1999

Established Member
Ya well my tuner is a real dick about things so getting a strait answer outta him is about impossible. The other problem is I dont know chit about tuning so me talking to him dont do much, and that sucks cause he can tell me whatever I wanna hear! What if I were to e-mail my tune to one of you guys and look it over for me I had him e-mail it me?

fastlane1999

Established Member
So as I posted my AIT's were 87* so it shouldnt have been pulling any timing on the last pull right till worst case it did as the stock tune and pulled timing at 100* AIT, but if i am understanding right then it would be at 21* till atleast 100* AIT? I did ask him about the timing the 19* he said it was 21*

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So as I posted my AIT's were 87* so it shouldnt have been pulling any timing on the last pull right till worst case it did as the stock tune and pulled timing at 100* AIT, but if i am understanding right then it would be at 21* till atleast 100* AIT? I did ask him about the timing the 19* he said it was 21*

Ok were you monitoring iat1 or iat2? The iat1 is the intake air temp coming into the intake tube (sensor located under the intake tube) and the iat2 or charge temp is the post intercooler temp. The iat2 is the one you want to look into.

EDIT: Maybe start looking for another tuner that won't be such a douche to customers, if your not happy with him.

Last edited:

fastlane1999

Established Member
Yes Yes I agree but also in Nebraska im kinda limited! I have no clue about the 1 or 2 im guessing reading it off the dyno sheet is the AIT1 and when he was reading the tune in SCT I seen the temp said 128 im guessing this was the AIT2

fastlane1999

Established Member
He told me and told it was not the tune it was not the car it was the weather, and said when it cools off I should be getting another 20 30 HP

cj428mach

Established Member
You want IAT2 thats the temp post blower and that is what can really hurt your timing/performance. As said before timing is pulled at 100+ IAT2 temp. In most cases your IAT2 runs 30-50 degrees over IAT1. So if you were at 87 degree IAT1 you had timing being pulled. If you were only at 19 degrees total then you were probably losing alot. If you were seeing 19 degrees on a datalog then your total timing is probably much higher just the IAT2 temp was causing timing to be pulled.

If you're looking for a remote tuner you might try Don Lasota. He has top notch customer service before and after the sale. I bought my PRP software from him and 4 months later he still answers my questions within 24 hrs. A friend of mine had him do his remote tune and Don was very easy to work with. My friend ran into a few issues that caused his car to be down for several weeks during the remote tuning session and Don had no issue with it and got him taken care of once his car was up and running.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Kurgan goes into Des Moines to Karl's Performance every summer. Contact Vitoman in the Midwest/Iowa forums to get info on Bob's next tuning session.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Your tuner isn't a dick for not pushing your car to the edge...and its not uncommon for weather to make you lose some horsepower on the dyno....just adding injectors isn't going to do anything for numbers...but your duty cycle should have improved nicely. If the car runs good now...I wouldn't mess with getting a "better tune" until you add something that makes more power.

Users who are viewing this thread