Dyno Time

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
Going down now:

81189e3a.jpg

Awesome! Stock ZL-1? Run em and get a video, please!

DBK you're kicking ass.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Face-Off right now!!!!! do some pulls on a closed course!!!!

@rytrapp, thanx for clearing that up. Im not a mechanical expert by any means just trying to hazard a guess because the drivetrain loss right now is very low, which is good I guess! :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Good numbers Dave.:beer: I wan to see a stock one dyno'd at about 2500 miles. The SVTP GT picked up quite a bit of power on the same dyno in very similar conditions after a couple thousand miles.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Face-Off right now!!!!! do some pulls on a closed course!!!!

@rytrapp, thanx for clearing that up. Im not a mechanical expert by any means just trying to hazard a guess because the drivetrain loss right now is very low, which is good I guess! :beer:
yea believe me, i've been racking my brain trying to figure out how we're seeing these numbers from this engine, lol. my previous theory was that the rated HP was lower than the actual HP in the over-rev range, but the dyno sheet from the 5.0mag shut that one down(although the hotrod mag article begs to differ).
i'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that either A) the SAE doesn't care if cars are overrated or, B) ford managed to fudge the SAE testing. there's all kinds of stories about the "old days" when the manufacturers would test their engines with tube headers(LOL). the SAE changed its testing policies to prevent this, but, lets be honest, there's ALWAYS a way to cheat:-D

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
yea believe me, i've been racking my brain trying to figure out how we're seeing these numbers from this engine, lol. my previous theory was that the rated HP was lower than the actual HP in the over-rev range, but the dyno sheet from the 5.0mag shut that one down(although the hotrod mag article begs to differ).
i'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that either A) the SAE doesn't care if cars are overrated or, B) ford managed to fudge the SAE testing. there's all kinds of stories about the "old days" when the manufacturers would test their engines with tube headers(LOL). the SAE changed its testing policies to prevent this, but, lets be honest, there's ALWAYS a way to cheat:-D

if you ain't cheating your not trying.....:lol1:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Dam. Nice numbers ! I was one off....I said 600@wheels and 590TQ. Lol GT500 is putting more @ the wheels than the Zl1 BHP !!!!

que the Terminator2 Music....

BigDan

Established Member
If we keep seeing more of these 600+ rwhp pulls, I'm going to be wondering WTF is up with the disparity between the dyno #s and the SAE #s. 662 at the crank should mean in the 560s at the wheels......less drivetrain loss? :shrug:

There are plenty of 2011-12's making 500-520whp at 6,250rpm so these 600whp dyno numbers from the 2013 seem perfectly in line considering its making an extra 112hp and 750 more rpm.

Heck dont most 638hp ZR1's only put down 530-540whp? sucks for them as that's only 10whp more then my and few others stock 2011-12 GT500's have made the same day a new 5.0 put down 365whp at an AED dyno day.

These new GT500's perform really well on the dyno. Some of that can be attributed to its new ecm that can adjust the tuning instantly on the fly based on octane and information from its new dual wideband o2 and knock sensors vs IAT's only to adjust parameters (timing) on pre 2011's. Then you have other things like the loss of a power steering pump, improved cooling and other drive train losses that ford has been working on for a while now make the GT500 have the least amount of drive train loss of any car out there.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
Big Dan- Good points.

At the same time, like Ry Trapp said....we're not going to see much better than about 13% loss.....so, given we see similar ballpark dynos from other cars.....Ford may have been sandbagging....even at 662 lol

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
Nice! Ordering one at the end of this year. Those numbers are sick for stock...what I will do to it when in my hands.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
There are plenty of 2011-12's making 500-520whp at 6,250rpm so these 600whp dyno numbers from the 2013 seem perfectly in line considering its making a extra 112hp and 750 more rpm.

Heck dont most 638hp ZR1's only put down 530-540whp? sucks for them as that only 10whp more then my and few others stock 2011-12 GT500's have made the same day a new 5.0 put down 365whp at a AED dyno day.

ZR1's put down between 550-560 RWHP.....don't know why that would "suck for them" unless you race dyno sheets :D

Back to the dyno day.....pretty impressive pull. It will be interseting to see if this is the norm, and what this translates to at the track.

Congrats, DBK, on an awesome dyno pull.....with a car with 95 miles on the odometer no less:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread