E-bay is a waste of time ....

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Just did a search on completed auctions in the last month for '03 Cobras.

Results:
Cars offered........74
Cars Sold............3*

Sold cars
1 - Salvage title $15,099
2 - 39,900mi. Conv. $21,500
3 - 11,080mi. $29,100..a very interesting(?) car. Has 600hp@ crank w/450rwhp. STOCK blower...must be equipped with factory secret 1-off High output Eaton blower AND "High-loss" drivetrain :rollseyes Obviously a well informed buyer...NOT

The OBVIOUS lesson...YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SELL A COBRA ON E-BAY!!

PIXER

Banned
Joe King said:
Just did a search on completed auctions in the last month for '03 Cobras.

Results:
Cars offered........74
Cars Sold............3*

Sold cars
1 - Salvage title $15,099
2 - 39,900mi. Conv. $21,500
3 - 11,080mi. $29,100..a very interesting(?) car. Has 600hp@ crank w/450rwhp. STOCK blower...must be equipped with factory secret 1-off High output Eaton blower AND "High-loss" drivetrain :rollseyes Obviously a well informed buyer...NOT

The OBVIOUS lesson...YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SELL A COBRA ON E-BAY!!
Strange, mine is on ebay, and hmm........... something is wrong, a week and a half ago a forum member bought a cobra on there from a buddy of mine.
here is the link:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225042

So obviously you are mistaken.
AT least I really hope you are.
I need mine gone soooo bad :cryying: :cryying:

TK Doom

Established Member
If there was a 04 Mystic Vert close to me on eBay, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...it just pains me to pay their price plus $1500 in transportation...

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
There's absolutely nothing wrong with ebay....That's simply capitalism at work. Supply and demand determines price. It may not be the price you want, or what all the dreamers set their reserves at but, the "high bid" is somewhere near the cars value to all those that have viewed it.

I always have to laugh when friends want me to sell their car on ebay for them....or, I'm trying to negotiate a deal with someone and they say, "Well, they go for "x-amount" on ebay" or, "I saw 3 other cars like mine for sale and they were "x-amount"".

Just because you see a buy it now price or ads in your local papers for a certain price does not necessarily mean that the car is worth that much. It also doesn't mean that it actually sold.

SBlueSVT03

[url=http://img473.images
Established Member
One Item that is not stated or found is the number of OFF EBAY sales from that 71 which did not process through EBAY. I would bet several got sold because of EBAY.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny thing. I've been selling and buying on eBay for about 5 years now. When eBay first started out it was a mecca for the seller. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon and made some decent money. Pretty much everything you listed sold. But as the eBay community grew, it has become more of a buyer's mecca -- a land of bargains. So there are a ton more unsold items now. That doesn't mean it isn't a smart place to sell a car. You also have a ton more sellers selling similar/same items, too. People now look to eBay for the best prices. For a bargain. Heck, I do it all the time. For example, I wanted the Roxio Creator 7.5 upgrade and the cheapest I could find was $77.95 less a $30. mail-in rebate. I went to eBay and found it for $19.95. And no rebate hassle. I got a steal on a refurbished HP laser printer there, too. Way cheaper than I would have found local. There are exceptions to this, but I believe eBay now has the reputation of being THE place to find a good bargain. Great for many buyers and not always great for sellers because the potential for profit isn't always there if the buyer is only looking for the cheapest price. JMO.

ZINC AND BLOWN

Established Member
I found mine on ebay with 436 miles on it......drove to NY and picked it up......didn't end up purchasing through ebay though

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
SBlueSVT03 said:
One Item that is not stated or found is the number of OFF EBAY sales from that 71 which did not process through EBAY. I would bet several got sold because of EBAY.

Thats exactly how I bought my 03. I first found out about it through the dealers ebay ad. I then called the place, went to go look at it and drive, then bought it outside of ebay. No way in hell would i send a single penny through ebay or paypal.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
That doesn't account for off-ebay sales that started on eBay. Think about it. eBay takes quite a chunk out of the final sale price. The seller may say - lets deal on the side and in that way avoid the fees for the sale. At that point they just pay for having the car listed.

It is especially easy to do with cars as in most cases people won't buy it without at least a phone call or a test drive.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I'm not sure you can draw any conclusions from those sales figures without more information. I think many eBay car auctions get no action for a number of reasons...

1. A seller with little/no feedback.
No matter how nice the car sounds, if it's not being sold by an established seller, I'm going to shy away from it unless the seller is local.

2. A poorly constructed ad
Many ads do not have enough pictures and are lacking an in-depth description. A $20-$30K car cannot be adequately described in 50 words and 2 bad pictures. If a seller can't take the time to build a quality ad, then I probably don't want to do business with them.

3. An unrealistically high "Buy-it-Now" price.
That's what the Auto Trader is for. ;-)

4. An opening bid that is about 97% of the car's retail value.
See #3 above :-D

5. No indication of the reserve price.
I don't expect someone to tell me the exact number, but it helps to know if the seller is expecting to get above Blue Book, or they need to get "payoff" for their car before they'll sell it.

By the way, I never thought about "off-eBay" sales. I bet you guys are right about many of these cars changing hands outside of eBay. :)

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Economics 101

AS WOLFGANGSTA says...its capitalism. Funny mine too was one of the "countless" "off-ebay" deals...which it seems account for a LARGE number of sales. Remember, ALL of these sales (I presume) were for BELOW the reserve.

I think a lesson to be learned, is these cars are NOT <$25,000 cars anymore as much as we wish it so. I bought mine never thinking 3 years latter I'd even get $20k...Mustangs have not had a great resale history.

Had I not put any additional mods (haha) & I sold the car for $23-25k..after 3 years I'm looking at 25% depreciation...surprisingly rather Honda like actually.

BUT WHY WOULD I SELL IT..I'm having to much FUN :pepper:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
007Paul said:
That doesn't account for off-ebay sales that started on eBay. Think about it. eBay takes quite a chunk out of the final sale price. The seller may say - lets deal on the side and in that way avoid the fees for the sale. At that point they just pay for having the car listed.

It is especially easy to do with cars as in most cases people won't buy it without at least a phone call or a test drive.
Happens all the time. Probably more so with eBay Motors. I know if it happens too often with a seller on regular auctions it can affect their overall rating. Not sure how that works with people who regularly sell on eBay Motors. I would imagine it would be the same. Obviously eBay frowns upon it. I have to laugh because eBay obviously loses money when this happens but a lot of sellers will state up front that they reserve the right to pull/end the auction at any time. Hmmmm. I wonder why. LOL! Either they got a better price outside eBay, or someone wants to deal around eBay. :dw:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Id be a little leary of trying to buy a car off e-bay but that doesnt mean it doesnt work. Im just not a fan of auctions. Thats one reason I decided to post all my take of parts at the site in my sig as oppsed to ebay. Not a lot of traffic cause the site is a new startup but what the heck the price for non auto classified ads was hard to beat...free :)

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Happens all the time. Probably more so with eBay Motors. I know if it happens too often with a seller on regular auctions it can affect their overall rating. Not sure how that works with people who regularly sell on eBay Motors. I would imagine it would be the same. Obviously eBay frowns upon it. I have to laugh because eBay obviously loses money when this happens but a lot of sellers will state up front that they reserve the right to pull/end the auction at any time. Hmmmm. I wonder why. LOL! Either they got a better price outside eBay, or someone wants to deal around eBay. :dw:

It does happen that way. I learned a lot when I sold my old Mach 1 on eBay. I had callers begging (yes begging) me to allow them to come and see the car and how much would it take to close the auction. I went through eBay the whole way - but thinking back I could have saved a couple hundred dollars had I just closed the auction.

SVT04

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
Its tough to sell cars like these, I suggest if your gonna buy one..keep it.

That is only a temporary situation just wait till all the idiots have destroyed the ones they have and they get rarer than they are now...... a limited production car that will go up in value as time goes by. Now an investment it's not but certainly will NOT be classed for resale value like an ordinary Mustang.
And like another guy said who cares I'm haviing too much fun to sell it ... :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread