E85 long term in 2012 GT - will it clog my filter?

twistedneck

Established Member
I just changed over to E85, and i am loving the extra power, good smells, and the idea my engine runs a little cooler.

Over on another forum a person chimed in and said " give your fuel pump 6 months tops if it's stock. E85 will destroy filter"

I didn't even think about swapping my filter - hell, i dont even know where it is?

Running great after about 1500 miles.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Filter is built into your stock fuel pump. Been running E85 on my car for about 400 miles. Runs great and my fuel system isn't giving me any problems. I think it is a myth that E85 will destroy your stock filter, it might but i dont know. If you have 1500 miles on the car and it runs great, I wouldn't worry about it,

I'm in livonia too, i'd love to check your car out sometime. Do you have a black 5.0 with forgestar F14's, tinted taillights and a GT/CS rear spoiler by any chance?

twistedneck

Established Member
Filter is built into your stock fuel pump. Been running E85 on my car for about 400 miles. Runs great and my fuel system isn't giving me any problems. I think it is a myth that E85 will destroy your stock filter, it might but i dont know. If you have 1500 miles on the car and it runs great, I wouldn't worry about it,

I'm in livonia too, i'd love to check your car out sometime. Do you have a black 5.0 with forgestar F14's, tinted taillights and a GT/CS rear spoiler by any chance?

No, I have a silver 5.0 w/ black vorshlag 18" wheels.. for sure we should meet up. I live right off tele and cherry hill. i'll PM you.

I'm with you on the myth, but when people say stuff like the filter comment I get a little paranoid.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
There are plenty of users that have run E85 for years now and the filter is fine, even paper filters. The people that have had "filter issues" are usually from using an incorrect compatibility pump that degrades in E85 and releases metallic residue on to the filter...causing pressure loss eventually. Use correct rated pump components and you will be fine for years (with regular filter service of course)

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Ive had E85 running in my car for about 4 months and close to 5K miles without a single issue. Hope this helps.

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
E85 since late 08 and not one single issue.

May93

Established Member
New to E-85

I've never ran E-85 but have been considering it recently. Currently I have a cold air kit, BAMA tune, and a axle back exhaust on my 2011 Mustang GT. Do I get separate tunes for E-85 and 93? It's not a daily driver so mileage is no issue.

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
On E-85 for about a 10 months, 5,000 miles no prob. Tell that person on the other forum to eat a bag of dicks.... the whole bag.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
ive been running E85 for 3 years now. i have pulled my injectors and filter. the injectors were clean nothing on any of them,but i did have some residue on the filter nothing Seafoam couldn't clean out. i recommend every once in a while run a Full tank of good quality 91/93 octane gas. that cleans up any thing that E85 could leave behind. for he most part i switch back and forth on gas and E85 so haven't had issues.

May93

Established Member
ive been running E85 for 3 years now. i have pulled my injectors and filter. the injectors were clean nothing on any of them,but i did have some residue on the filter nothing Seafoam couldn't clean out. i recommend every once in a while run a Full tank of good quality 91/93 octane gas. that cleans up any thing that E85 could leave behind. for he most part i switch back and forth on gas and E85 so haven't had issues.

Do you have a tune and if so do you switch the tune each time? Do you run the tank completely dry or just add 93 or E-85 to the fuel already in the tank?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Do you have a tune and if so do you switch the tune each time? Do you run the tank completely dry or just add 93 or E-85 to the fuel already in the tank?

I have a tune for 91octane and a tune for E85. You must switch tunes when swaping fuels. I run the tank down to about 1-2 gallons when switching. If im going racing I will pump out all the gas when switching to E85.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've been wondering the same thing about the e85, been on it for the past 3 months.. Haven't gone back to regular pump bc I enjoy te extra tq and hp to much and that sweet corn smell.

Guess I'll should re flash and run a regular tank every once in a while though..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've been wondering the same thing about the e85, been on it for the past 3 months.. Haven't gone back to regular pump bc I enjoy te extra tq and hp to much and that sweet corn smell.

Guess I'll should re flash and run a regular tank every once in a while though..

Yes

May93

Established Member
I have a tune for 91octane and a tune for E85. You must switch tunes when swaping fuels. I run the tank down to about 1-2 gallons when switching. If im going racing I will pump out all the gas when switching to E85.

I take it your draining out the old fuel so that you don't lower your octane level? From what I'm reading it doesn't hurt to mix as long you primarily have one fuel or the other.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I take it your draining out the old fuel so that you don't lower your octane level? From what I'm reading it doesn't hurt to mix as long you primarily have one fuel or the other.

Correct It doesn't hurt to mix just make sure you have more of one or the other.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
Yes. I had more than enough pump with the eaton.

Thanks for the info.

I want to try running E85 on my non-ported Eaton. I have a BAP and stock pumps and wanted to add 60lb injectors.

What was your set when you were running stock pumps and E85?

May93

Established Member
I've been considering the 100 hp Nitrous shot and the E-85 appears to be the fuel to use. Spark knock on warm days wouldn't be a issue!

Users who are viewing this thread