E85 vs meth injection

Graboid

Established Member
Just wanting to learn a little more about both. What are some positive/negative things everyone has on each? Overall cost range of both including initial set up (meth kt vs whatever fuel upgrade needed for e85, fuel/meth price etc). Power differences, availability, side effects if any all is welcome for discussion and info purposes.

frogui

Established Member
I'm also very interested in the answer to this one. I'm going to boost for around 650 rwhp but don't have access to e85. So I've thought about using a meth injection kit with 91 or Installing either 47lbhr or ID1000 on the stock ecu and installing a pair or two of the stock injectors with a stand alone fuel computer (megasquirt or microtech) as secondary fuel system while on boost for meth injection. But I don't know if it's just better to use a meth kit. Excuse me if this is a threadjack.

stang8psi

Established Member
the only problem I have been finding with meth is to find a tuner who will and can tune the car on pump + meth!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Just wanting to learn a little more about both. What are some positive/negative things everyone has on each? Overall cost range of both including initial set up (meth kt vs whatever fuel upgrade needed for e85, fuel/meth price etc). Power differences, availability, side effects if any all is welcome for discussion and info purposes.

I Just went E85 on my Bolt on car. Here is the lint to my thread that I made comparing before and after.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...p-canned-tune-vs-custom-tune-vs-e85-tune.html

I'm still getting 15mph on my daily commute. Before I was getting 18-19mpg. So I have lost about 4mpg, but since E85 is about 80 cents a gallon cheaper I am basicly breaking even on fuel expenses. Its good stuff, I'm glad I switched.
I'm also very interested in the answer to this one. I'm going to boost for around 650 rwhp but don't have access to e85. So I've thought about using a meth injection kit with 91 or Installing either 47lbhr or ID1000 on the stock ecu and installing a pair or two of the stock injectors with a stand alone fuel computer (megasquirt or microtech) as secondary fuel system while on boost for meth injection. But I don't know if it's just better to use a meth kit. Excuse me if this is a threadjack.

Why go through ALL of that trouble when you can just order E85 by the barrel and be done with it? Sure its a bit more expensive due to shipping but your talking about spending an extra $2K+ labor to run a fuel system and meth like what your talking about VS an extra $1.50 per gallon for E85. Thats a LOT of E85 before it makes up for the extra cost of the Fuel system your talking about.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
^2k for a meth kit??? what meth are you smoking? ais or alky kits are well under $600!

He was talking about using a stand alone fuel system, extra injectors which will require custom fab work, more lines, a seperate fuel tank possible, you do the math, lol. The meth kit is cheap, but its everything else he was talking about using.

frogui

Established Member
2k is not even close. 1k is more like it and since a meth kit is 700 I'll take the $300 hit. I can do everything on it but tune it. there is no chance of using drums of e85 since I traded the truck for the 5.0 and I fill up at least every other day in random gas stations. I only ask because I've been told meth kit doesn't move enough fuel to do this. But i want to be sure that is true before doing all that work. I'm pretty sure I can find a tuner since there are plenty of rotary drag cars on straight meth down here on Microthechs'. It seems to me that the it could also be done with the fuel side of a wet nitrous kit much cheaper but much less reliably.

frogui

Established Member
don't get me wrong. If I can reliably get 650 in crap pump, let's say 87 and a meth kit that is what I will do.

vortecd

Established Member
I went with meth on my '87 since I do drive the car and the closest station for e85 is 20 miles away. My meth kit from Anderson Ford was under $200 where I would have had to buy bigger injectors and fuel pump to run e85. You will also burn 30-40% more fuel so the cheaper cost per gallon will be lost in using more fuel. Plus if you decide to drive somewhere you need to know where all the stations are the carry it. Now if you live in a place that has it every where and don't drive your car out of town, then it may be for you

Graboid

Established Member
E85 is also scarce around my area still. I can get it though because I dont drive the stang much (just turned 13000miles on one of if not the first 2011 in Arkansas). Plus it is not that much cheaper here yet. I want to say $.50?

sisky wolf

Established Member
the only problem I have been finding with meth is to find a tuner who will and can tune the car on pump + meth!

Meth is the right way to go ...I picked up 105 rwhp on pump gas running meth 75% to 25% mix......Do not let a tuner get a hold of your car unless he truly understands how to tune with meth...MMR has built 1600 HP motors running on pump gas with meth..

sisky wolf

Established Member
those 105hp sounds like the numbers I'm looking for and saves me a bunch of time.

Definately need to find the right tuner...You will need to be in the HP range I am to pick up this kind of HP...I had over $80,000 invested in this car..before I sold it...took 5 motors to finally get it right

vortecd

Established Member
those 105hp sounds like the numbers I'm looking for and saves me a bunch of time.

Not every car will pick that up. Depends on a lot of factors with the biggest being boost. A car making 7# will not pick up as much as one making 25#. My car picked up 90hp at 20#

frogui

Established Member
Not every car will pick that up. Depends on a lot of factors with the biggest being boost. A car making 7# will not pick up as much as one making 25#. My car picked up 90hp at 20#

Thanks for the heads up. That's why I figured I'd need a stand alone. My meth would be as actual fuel not chemical intercooling or octane boosting. I'm sorry to have taken this off op's track. I'll will start getting in touch with the tuner and do a new thread when I get everything sorted and installed.

Back to op....if e85 was readily available that's what I would do. All the benefit of meth 100% of the time. Maybe someday it will become "pump". Right now it doesn't make to much sense for a street car that gets driven regularly past e85 pumps areas. In my case there are none available in a few hundred mile radius. I can only get vp or torco e85 or 100% meth.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Meth ftw, same fuel economy.........lower IATs, you use a lto less of it. I can fill my 3 gallon tank and go for months without having to refill. E*5 is non existant in my area and even if it werent I still wouldnt be able to deal with the horrible gas mileage and more bothersome testing every single tank you fill up to make sure its actually e85.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Problem with meth in my opinion is that your tune is now over the edge were something to fail. So you run out, pump shoots craps, hobbs switch dies, whatever.. and boom goes the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread