Easiest way to compress Brembo pistons?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Doing pads and rotors this evening, had a tough time compressing the pistons back in. I ended up opening the brake line and compressing it with the old pads since I am swapping to stainless lines anyways.

What is the easiest way to do this in the future? :shrug:

mullens

Established Member
Mine compressed pretty easily. I used piece of wood for a lever and pried the piston against the caliper. Went right in. Now the rears were a different story..I got quite an arm workout with the caliper tool.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Yea I used the wood block as well for the fronts. The rear you need to tool that spins them down into the caliper

Alscobra

Established Member
Do one side at a time. Usually compress them with a small prybar between the rotor and pad before I pull the caliper off. Just something else to try.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
You guys should be cracking the bleeder screw open when compressing the piston!

It will prevent the fluid from blowing past the seals if you compress them too fast.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Put a thick towel on painted part if caliper to save finish.

Open bleeder? Never had a seal blow. The fluid goes back to reservoir.

Van@RevanRacing

Doing pads and rotors this evening, had a tough time compressing the pistons back in. I ended up opening the brake line and compressing it with the old pads since I am swapping to stainless lines anyways.

What is the easiest way to do this in the future? :shrug:

Well, at the track and you have to replace pads between sessions.................quickly.

Stick a long heavy duty screw driver into the vein of the rotor with the brake pad clip out and press forward and pull back. Repeat as needed until the pistons on both sides are compressed.

Enjoy the install.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I just used the old pads to push them in... Takes seconds

The rear are a PIA because of the rotating tool need plus you gotta put a good amount of force to get those bastards to spin...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
For the future I ordered Bruce's tool:

brake%20tool%20FT%209000.jpg

Looking forward to giving it a whirl, especially for pad swaps at the track.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member

^^^Thanks!^^^

I was wondering if there was a simple enough tool to do the job on the brembo version calipers-

I have a low-tech tool that I use on the basic single & dual caliper setups- I was going to use that plus the old pads to press the brembo calipers while I have the power-steering reservoir cap popped open to bleed pressure back to the top....
..........................................................................................
Yep, That tool is $225; plus, that tool is so bulky and I can't see how you can use it in one hand while holding the caliper assembly in the other.
Plus: I agree, I can't see the cost justifiable unless I run a full-time shop or I'm a professional racer....

http://www.girodisc.com/Caliper-piston-spreader_p_5970.html

Snoopy49

Established Member
I used a couple of flat blade screw drivers, it was fast and efficient. I didn't realize I needed an expensive tool. I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss. I did use the recommended tool for the rear calipers.

Last edited:

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I've used Van's technique in this thread (post #11 from 2011) many times now with great success. And if you own a big screwdriver you don't need to buy anything. Thanks again Van.

Steve

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Stick a long heavy duty screw driver into the vein of the rotor with the brake pad clip out and press forward and pull back. Repeat as needed until the pistons on both sides are compressed.

^^^This. By far the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Except there's no need of a screwdriver if you're doing this in your driveway. The rotors are going to be cool enough to touch. Just grab the rotor then push and pull to compress the pistons. If you have the caliper off for some reason, a set of clamps and an old brake pad work perfectly.

...while I have the power-steering reservoir cap popped open to bleed pressure back to the top...

^^^And this. A very important step that I think a lot of people forget to do. Opening the bleeder valve just lets air get in the caliper, unless you're changing your brake fluid along with a pad change, which is always a good idea.

Like mentioned, the rear calipers are a massive PITA to compress, even with the tool. And you can't use a power tool to do it because you run the risk of tearing the boot. I tried. Luckily I saw the danger before the boot ripped.

Users who are viewing this thread