• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Eaton Mach 1 Numbers/Plans for the coming year

Discussion in 'Time Slip Bar' started by Gmc72701, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Gmc72701

Gmc72701 New Member Established Member

Hi all! As a few of you probably know, I recently picked up a DSG Eaton Mach 1 with 44k which needed a little TLC. After replacing a few pulleys and the supercharger belt, as well as some of the timing components with Wicked Motorsports in Toms River, I had Kevin Hand retune it for me to see what he could squeeze out of it on stock internals.

CURRENT MODS LIST:
    Stock internals, clutch, and trans
    JLT Intake
    Bassani Midlength Headers
    Bassani Catted X-Pipe
    Bassani Catback
    Eaton M112 off of a 2003 Cobra Crate Motor
    Stock Pulley
    Wicked Tuned
    438/417 on a Mustang Dyno (459/437 Dynojet)

My question, ladies and gents, is are the stock pistons limited to the same level as the rods? I'm looking to do a bottom end and I don't know what rod/pistons to go with on the stock block. I want something of a similar compression as the stock pistons (around 10:1) that can support around 600-650whp. Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

I don't have an absolute answer for you, but I'll bump you so that maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can offer you advice.

Gmc72701 likes this.
  3. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

I think Mod Max is still pretty popular for getting 4.6 parts. The rods and pistons are both relatively weak. No point in changing one and not changing the other. You can get pistons made for whatever compression you want. The bright side is since you're a manual trans car you already have the forged crank. All you need is good rods and pistons and you'll be good to go.

Gmc72701 likes this.
  4. Gmc72701

I was planning on doing both regardless, I was just curious to see the capabilities of the pistons (all everyone talks about are the rods lol) Thanks for the input slo984now

Does anyone have any idea how much it would be to throw some rods and pistons in as well as port/pulley the eaton that's on it?

5. 01yellercobra

I can't help you on the cost of the pistons and rods. Your skill level and machine shop costs will affect that.

My personal opinion is skip the port and just do a pulley swap. If that doesn't keep you happy save for a bigger blower. The cost of a port anymore borders on used 2.3 prices.

Gmc72701 likes this.
  6. 03DSGMach1

03DSGMach1 10's or Bust! Established Member

Using stock block with pistons, rods, bearings, machining, and assembly should be around $4k. Skip the heaton and just pick up a pre-owned 2.3 blower especially if you're looking for 600-650whp.

7. Shadow Grey 03

Shadow Grey 03 Well-Known Member Established Member

The stock pistons aren't forged, so get a good set of forged 11.0:1s and run ethanol :)
    Definitely need to do the pistons while you are in there. It would be silly not to. Ross and diamond seem to still make good forged ones as well. There are a few guys on modular fords that can give you exactly the advice you need as well.

8. Gmc72701

I was thinking of a bigger blower setup myself, but last time I had porting done was about 6 months ago on my Terminator (Port/pulley) and all said and done was about $1300 for the job. I havent seen a Whipple or KB go for less than $3k with high mileage and abuse

9. 01yellercobra

Keep an eye out. Local guy sold a whipple 2.3 recently for $1800 I think. My buddy bought his 2.3 for $2500. Both in good shape.