Eaton oil change writeup (pics)

airmanb2b

Established Member
Cant believe this thread is still here and helpful after five years. On that note, my termi is still roaming to streets of ak with the same oil i put in it five years ago without blower failure . New owner is just lazy i guess.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
help im having a hard time finding a syringe?

go to your nearest walgreens and ask for one, i got one for free.

changing out my supercharger oil this weekend with motorcraft synthetic supercharger oil ($25 :eek: from the dealership)!

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
So all you guys that are paranoid like me and ran out to the Ford dealer and bought Ford/Motorcraft blower oil, did 2 bottles (8 ounces total) do it or did you need a third bottle to finish the job?

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
So all you guys that are paranoid like me and ran out to the Ford dealer and bought Ford/Motorcraft blower oil, did 2 bottles (8 ounces total) do it or did you need a third bottle to finish the job?

i only used one bottle (4oz)... :dw:

is that enough? :??:

SVTDice

Established Member
If your worried about it, I would do it again if you so wish. Oil is cheap. Superchargers are not.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
If your worried about it, I would do it again if you so wish. Oil is cheap. Superchargers are not.

true statement... i'm just going to add a little more using mobil 1.

safe to mix the two oils? (motorcraft supercharger & mobil 1) thx!

SVT Nicholas

Established Member
Great job, I did this last night, awesome guide man. I got the pump for removing the oil at O'Reilly Auto parts for $9. The oil that came out smelled like cat shit. I put Mobile 1 10W30. Is that okay?

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
About to do this on my eaton. God knows how many miles my eaton has on it. Probably should have done this a while ago.

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
It is surprising that people are still using motor oil after all these years just because somebody posted a thread about it. If Eaton, the manufacturer of the supercharger, says anything besides supercharger oil can damage the unit, why would you question it?

Use supercharger oil.

airmanb2b

Established Member
I chose to use motor oil. Just FYI, the blower has 90k miles on it now and still going strong. Fluid hasnt been changed since. Smaller pullies damage blowers too right? So I guess nobody should be installing them because I am sure Ford frowns on it.

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
You're in Alaska; you don't really tend to have issues with heat up there, and I doubt you've put all that many miles on in five years with the winters you get.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Regular motor oil DOES NOT have the correct specifications as the OEM supercharger oil. Some guys may get by using it, but the properties are not the same. As the reps at Eaton will tell you, it is not the correct fluid.

The OEM supercharger oil is made by a company called Nye. Here is everything you need to know about it:

http://productsearch.nyelubricants.com/pdf/TDS_English_SYNTHETIC OIL 605.pdf

The Ford AND GM oil are the same, so don't cut corners - just by two 4oz. bottles from your local GM dealer (much cheaper than Ford) and do it right!!

Edit: By the way, don't mix supercharger oil and motor oil - different base, different properties, and different viscosity!

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
I researched this for awhile.. My results.

Eaton suggests using GM/Ford oil because it has different properties compared to motor oil. Eaton says the oil will last the life time of the car unless raced or towing. Translation, we all own terminators and they arent being used to pickup grandma from bingo. 20,40,60,000 mile intervals.

Looking at what people have been using (motor oil) made me research it even more. Eaton is a OEM manufacture S/C company. translation they only make superchargers for STOCK setup car companies such as ford,chevy, benz ect. If they suggest using their product i think you really should!!! being OEM is the highest level of quality and reliability. Eatons are made to drive across the country, beat on like hell and still be reliable. Why on earth would you cut corners on a SVT cobra. This is a cobra not a honda. Besides from what ive seen the oil is cheaper at GM.

Personal experience.. I used differential addative GM/FORD, it costs 8$ and is made to reseal your differential if you blow it. A lot of people like to FORGET THIS and well your an idiot if you do. 8$ vs 4,000$, Theres reasons why they suggest their oil and its not because they want your money. If that was the case, they wouldnt be suggesting SVT ford guys to be using either ford OR GM!!!!! Superchargers are expensive, oil isnt. A short cuts a long cut. I plan on doing my oil this weekend since i bought my termi used and i like to play it safe! I will post pics of new/used oil and my exact amounts withdrawn from it. Oh yeah.. People are saying they only removed 4oz of oil ect. Every motor, car, burns oil. If you see your service manual you can find the suggested burned up oil/oil loss rate and whats acceptable and not. I wouldnt expect your eaton to have some exception to the logic thats been around since 1900's.

PS- amazing writeup!! was very interesting learning about everything

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
what.. so all i need is Mobil 10w30 from a store? i always thought i had to use supercharger oil. saw some on ebay just for 04 cobras. is it just a rip-off?

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
saw this on ebay about 10 for a 4oz bottle. so i'll need 2.. $20

is this the right one?

Genuine GM 12345982 Supercharger Oil NEW! | eBay

$(KGrHqUOKjEE356DPRZIBOHjd+zWfQ~~_12.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread