Ebay oddity and paypal question

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
Hey gentlemen,

Im new to ebay and I threw my PSP on there because I dont use it anymore. Some guy contacted me and said he would buy it off me before the auction ended and I said okay. He offered me $350 bucks to end it early, which is well over double what its worth on ebay.

I created a paypal invoice and sent it to the guy for $350. He reportedly lived in Michigan. Now he is telling me that he wants me to send it to Nigeria. I have no problem sending it there, but how does paypal work? Once I send in the parcel tracking number to paypal will I recieve my money? Or am I going to have to wait till it arrives at its African destination?

Thanks for any help :beer:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I think I here warning bells and whistles going off.

If you send it you'll probably loose the money even IF it is paid using PayPal because you'll find out later the Funds were paid for with a Stolen Credit Card or something.

needSVTsoon

Established Member
Did he also tell you that he is a banker for a member of a royal family and would like your help smuggling 10 million dollars out of the county but he needs 3000 for the processing fee?

It is a scam BTW.

juliet2kg

Established Member
Nigeria? Hell no. My sister works in a bank where she gets tons of gullible people ready to give in to scams overseas.
One guy she was dealing with thought he had a nice deal overseas to sell his mach1 for 2x the value so he could buy a newer cobra. He ended up taking a loan out for the cobra before he got the money from the sale. You can pretty much guess what happened.

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
I think I here warning bells and whistles going off.

If you send it you'll probably loose the money even IF it is paid using PayPal because you'll find out later the Funds were paid for with a Stolen Credit Card or something.

This. It's a scam dood!!! :bash:

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
The guy has perfect ebay feedback, so I think im going to send him an email saying that I will only send to the Michigan address and see what he says.

Good idea? Or should I just give up hope and leave it on ebay?

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I think you should send it. I was to see the follow up posts when he rips you off. :lol:

It's a scam. Walk away or send him a box of bricks with a value of $100,000. He may stop scamming after having to pay the import tax on that.

mwilliams84

Established Member
A guy I know listed his projector on ebay with a U.S. only ad. Some guy from S. Africa emailed him and asked if he would sell it to him, he said no, but the guy used his buy it now and paid him through paypal. When my co-worker emailed him, he refused to answer him back. Needless to say the guy never got his projector shipped to S. Africa.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
It is a scam, someone did the same thing to me using the buy it now when I sold a cell phone. If the guy paid the buy it now price that should make you think twice. No one in their right mind is gonna chump out $350 for a used psp.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Wake the **** Up dude! It's a SCAM. Besides that, if you closed the Auction early and completed the Tranaction outside of Ebay you are in Violation of Ebay's Rules which means you give up ANY Protections from Ebay or PayPal, who are the same company BTW.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
The e-mail you received was fake if you thought it was actually from the buyer with 100% feedback.

Think about this one: Who in their right frame of mind would offer you double your buy it now price you set when they can go buy two brand new PSP units for that?

Scam artists use other people's history, ie; Stolen Ebay account, and then send you an e-mail outside of either Ebay or Paypal's email system for their work around. This Michigan address is probably the unfortunate person whose Ebay account was stolen from, hence a different shipping address to the thief.

The link below is a great example except the seller knew in this case that he was about to get scammed. In the end he scammed the scammer instead, so it is a must read for you:

The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook!

Last edited by a moderator:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Sure, if it isn't obvious enough to you that it is a scam maybe a lesson learned is in order.

oldmodman

Established Member
Real simple solution.
Tell him to send you cash in an overnight USPS envelope with secure signature.
If you actually get the cash ship it anywhere he wants.
Any other form of payment can be defrauding you. Postal service money orders can be phony and you wouldn't know until the post office comes after YOU six months later. Bank checks are useless. Personal checks are a joke.
Paypal is less than worthless.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member

DARK GEARS

Banned
Nigeria? Hell no. My sister works in a bank where she gets tons of gullible people ready to give in to scams overseas.
One guy she was dealing with thought he had a nice deal overseas to sell his mach1 for 2x the value so he could buy a newer cobra. He ended up taking a loan out for the cobra before he got the money from the sale. You can pretty much guess what happened.

We had a guy come in last week and tell us that he needed 10k.

Here's the article

Police say a bank teller saved an elderly Gonzales man from a $10,000 lotto scam at 3 p.m. Thursday.

The man was talked into helping two "undocumented" people cash a "winning lotto ticket" and let them drive him in a white Chevrolet minivan to his bank, police said. When he told the teller, she recognized the scam and contacted police, but the suspects a woman about 55 and a man 45 had left the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread