Electrical issues after dyno

Builtsn95

Established Member
I just had the 97 dyno'd....good results - 565rwph. With some more fuel, I should be in the 600rwhp+ range. Bad news, after a few days, the car is spiking lean (A/F gauge only goes up to 18.0 and stays there)and losing some power at EXACTLY 2800 RPM's (its sits there) until I shift out - this is simply cruising in 3 or 4th gear fuel pressure is around 45. Vacuum is good also.

Funny thing, I noticed the speedo, odometer, cruise control AND convertible top no longer work. WTF ? I noticed the speedo right away at the tuner. He's said it wasn't working when he got it, but he's DEAD wrong. These were all working before.

My question......could the lean codnition be related to the dyno runs and maybe affecting other components (sensors etc) . As a note ...all fuses check out fine on both panels.

I called the engine builder and the tuner to explain - this did not happen during the tune. He said everything checked out fine. I trust him as I've been working with him for 15 years. They we're thinking the MAF (it's brand new), fuel pressure (it's not now - see above) ...

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
That's weird, right after a dyno run my car blew the fuse that controlled the speedo, radio, and a couple other things. Replaced the fuse, and it was all back to normal.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
How’s your alternator? Have you check the output?

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Test light every single fuse on the car inside the bay and cabin with the key on and come back.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You sad you trust the guy, yet he lied to you and told you the speedo wasn't working when he had the car?
Sounds like you had a voltage spike of sorts.
As advised above check the voltage on the alternator, also check it at WOT as well.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
You sad you trust the guy, yet he lied to you and told you the speedo wasn't working when he had the car?
Sounds like you had a voltage spike of sorts.
As advised above check he voltage on the alternator, also check it at WOT as well.

WERD!

Is your rev limiter still set to factory @Builtsn95? It’s quite possible your alternator was “over-spun” on the dyno.

Builtsn95

Established Member
WERD!

Is your rev limiter still set to factory @Builtsn95? It’s quite possible your alternator was “over-spun” on the dyno.
The limiter is set to 6300 now, because fuel pressure is falling off above that level . A BAP will be installed soon. BAS was recently put in as well.

We just installed a 2.87” pulley and its really spinning. I guess I should test the alternator and fuses ( even though they check out visually). This car has had weird electrical issues for the two years since I’ve had it. Maybe it’s been the alternator all along.

Users who are viewing this thread