Elio Motors 84mpg "car" for $6800

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
So glad we have so many automotive engineers here.

Please show us your computer generated crash test examples so we can see just how unsafe this thing really is.
I'd really like to know.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I think id spend a few extra grand and just get a canam spyder. Its the same thing, faster, and not enclosed. though wont make the mpg number, about half that lol.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
If they actually come out and can be had for that price, I WILL be buying one. Looks like it would be a good commuter and since my new job is 37 miles away, gas mileage is a big thing for me.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If they actually come out and can be had for that price, I WILL be buying one. Looks like it would be a good commuter and since my new job is 37 miles away, gas mileage is a big thing for me.

yeah I dunno, my job is 40mi each way and I dont think I could bring myself into driving that thing.

If anything, with traffic, im really considering two wheeled transportation so I can lanesplit and lol @ bumper to bumper parking lots that take up 20-30min of my commute each way.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Same reason a Canam Spyder is listed as a motorcycle due to its design but you dont need a motorcycle license to ride it.
Ummm.. Yes you do..

Here in NH you do anyway... Thing is... You can take your motorcycle riding test on one....... :shrug:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I think id spend a few extra grand and just get a canam spyder. Its the same thing, faster, and not enclosed. though wont make the mpg number, about half that lol.

Cheapest can-am Spyder is 10K more, not a few grand.
Not enclosed?

So rain, winter, or even dead of summer sucks.

For 6800 you get multiple airbags, 84MPG, A/C, Heat, Wipers, Radio and a glove box. lol

This is for commuters. If you commute or are looking for a cheap DD this thing may be perfect.
If not then I agree and see no reason to look at it.
But for some to say it is unsafe just from looking at a pic is crazy IMO.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Ummm.. Yes you do..

Here in NH you do anyway... Thing is... You can take your motorcycle riding test on one....... :shrug:

Same for is in GA. You need a motorcycle endorsement to ride one. Our local dealer even sets you up to learn on one before you buy it. Then just go to the local DMV for the road test. But a Can-Am STARTS at $16k here. Which is why I don't own one. That's used Ducati or Harley territory.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
LOL @ the comments.

I think its a hell of a bargain. Id rock one as a commuter. Id just have really tinted windows/windshield lol

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
If it gets me to work cheap who cars. I hate the civic I drive already and I can't feel it being any safer so might as well switch. I could sell one, buy the other and still have profit left over.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
its nothing more than one of those 3 wheels motorcycles with a cab around it.

Exactly. Certainly a bit weird, but I guess I could see it as an around town commuter. I had to laugh at the reference to gas mileage and driving long distance on little fuel. I can't imagine driving in that for more than a short 50 miles. Safety? I can't see a collision in one of those ending well for the occupants.

And please note that it DOES have room for a passenger. The specs even mention a passenger seat. Where is it? Well, look at the photos and you'll see that there is a passenger seat behind the driver. No thanks!

mtrsprt

Established Member
Forget safety..... That's an irrelevant argument. Motorcycles are everywhere. Avoid accidental situations, pay attention, be cautious of your surroundings, and chances are, that you won't ever have to think about much how "safe" your vehicle is.

If the thing wasn't so hideous looking, I would be on the pre-order list for sure......

coposrv

Established Member
If it actually fits me and some extra crap for meetings/ job walks I'll take it. I'm currently spending 600-800 a month in fuel between my truck and the Camry. It's a no brainer for me.

coposrv

Established Member
Forget safety..... That's an irrelevant argument. Motorcycles are everywhere. Avoid accidental situations, pay attention, be cautious of your surroundings, and chances are, that you won't ever have to think about much how "safe" your vehicle is.

If the thing wasn't so hideous looking, I would be on the pre-order list for sure......

I can agree with this. I commute from metro west Boston to the NH border everyday. I see "accidents" daily. If everyone would pay attention and focus on driving instead of everything else there would hardly be any.

mtrsprt

Established Member
If it actually fits me and some extra crap for meetings/ job walks I'll take it. I'm currently spending 600-800 a month in fuel between my truck and the Camry. It's a no brainer for me.
You would definitely benefit from something like this wow.....

I spend a maximum of $100.00/month. Allows me to enjoy other things more, by keeping my fuel costs super low for commuting.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Hm...I'll have to drive one before making a decision but it might fit the bill. I average 25k miles a year in my dd and even in a Focus getting 33MPG it adds up. Here lately it's been 500 miles a week with just me in the car.

The 0-60 is faster than most eco vehicles sold today...

Black306

Established Member
My commute is a whooping 7 miles round trip and I would sport that thing. Deal breaker for me is I need three seats for my 2 kids.

Users who are viewing this thread