Elio Motors 84mpg "car" for $6800

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I'll buy one if it comes with flames on the side. I also thought a bake at home pizza company made a car. Happy monday!

allister

Established Member
Lol @ the comments. I know it won't be for everyone, but for commuters and those looking to save on gas and get a cheap car, this thing is perfect. Not only that, but it will be made in America. Represent!!!

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Eh...I think there's a certain trade off for space and convenience. Not to say people won't be interested because they surely will, but I think it will take specific buyers. Its not a recreational vehicle, yet its not really a good family vehicle either.

For myself, if I bought this Id still have to have another vehicle for groceries, kids, luggage, hauling, etc. So unless you plan on going everywhere yourself or have the occasional passenger, its not extremely practical from that sense. That, and so much for the 5th gear slide...

Buy, I'm sure its a step in the right direction.

Posted via Topify using Android

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
A couple years ago I saw a Smart Car get hit by a Chevy Silverado. The Chevy was coming down a hill and couldn't stop as it was on a sheet of ice and T-boned the smart car trapping it between the truck and a barrier guard.

I was surprised to see how well the Smart Car protected the driver. It goes without saying the driverwas shook up and had to be treated for minor iinjuries, but all things considered the Silverado driver also had to be treated from injuries sustained from the airbags also.

I don't claim to be an automotive engineer (I'm actually in structural (bleachers) engineering) but the materials used, crunch zones, airbags, etc are all important factors. Obviously, the Smart Car sustained far more damage - likely totaled - but protected the driver fine. Have you ever seen the way a race car just falls apart in a collision?

That's all part of the protection. Most of these littler cars are typically no match for trucks, just as a bike is no match to a car, and likely that Silverado would be no match for a big rig, but with enough reinforcement in the tight areas, crunch points, and purposefully designed weak spots, you can create a very nice cage around a driver that protects them nicely.

Of course, every collision is different, so it's all relative to the vehicles, weather, and surroundings, but I'd trust a new car like this over something like my old Mitsubishi Mirage.

Posted via Topify using Android

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
That could be said for many cars.

Let that same truck slam into the drivers door of a mustang..

Same results.

I am very skeptical to believe the side impact structural integrity of a full size car would be the same as this 3 wheeled bike.

nonliberal

Established Member
I commute 128 miles a day (64 miles each way) and there isn't a chance I will be driving one of those. To each their own though. You will also never catch me in a Smart car, Prius, insight, leaf, spark, and many others.

Not that there is anything "wrong" with any of them. Just not for me.

alex3610

Established Member
People around here buy mopeds, scooters, Prius's, Smart cars, etc. so there is no doubt in my mind that for $6,800, if it performs as promised they will sell as many of these as they can make. How do I invest?

Users who are viewing this thread