Email tune vs custom tune!

12gt

Established Member
Is it a big of a difference?
Need info on both
Prices? Power any recommendations? Guidance to good tuners?
I'm located in Cali diamond bar!! Thnks

2012 manual 5.0
- cobra jet intake manifold
- scj mono blade tb
- rev auto 5 inch cold air intake
- kooks lt headers
-kooks o/r x pipe
- 373 gears ford racing
- rear wheels 285/35/20 nitto 555
- gt500 ab
- accel coils

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
an email tune with remote data logging is just as good as a dyno tune.

SCalla1384

Established Member
An email tune can be better then a dyno tune, and vice versa. All depends on who's tuning it. Obviously AED/JPC/Lund do great tuning via email/datalogs. Bama sucks. Then there's plenty of other shops that are local to people that don't get much recognition that tune great.

zachcrosen

Established Member
When justin tuned mine on the dyno, he just data logged just like I did and then he made adjustments. So, I think it was about the same thing but without going back and forth in email!

Riptide

Established Member
I have been told that custom TiVCT settings can be made on the dyno but not on the street.

Still going with a road tune anyway.

Riptide

Established Member
The real difference between a custom dyno tune and an email tune does not come from the quality of the data logs, but from custom TiVCT settings that I can make on the dyno as it is a tool to verify gains / losses from minor adjustments like Cam timing. This can not be done on the street, however my 'base' VCT settings are generally pretty close.
Sure about that?

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Well cant comment in jpc,aed, or lund but I had bama once upon a time and a dyno tune made a night and day difference. The whole tune from when it makes power to how much power it makes and complete drive ability.

Riptide

Established Member
I leaned towards the road tune because of the distance required to get to the tuner (15+ hours minimum) and the fact we have better pump gasoline than they do in CA. Not to mention 3300+ foot altitude difference.

ajpturbo

Established Member
I street tuned my car completely start to finish with James Gordon of tuning by james. 2 cars.

I believe it is possible to get a more thorough and complete tune and cheaper tune by doing it remotely via email.

The dyno provides a safe place for tuning. When doing logging on the street the quality of the cruise and step test logs can make a difference and make it easier on your tuner and maybe save the amount of revisions that you will need.

I've also seen tuner limit the amount of revs they will do for a certain amount. James Gordon gave me a flat rate and wouldn't stop until he was satisfied with the data he saw.

I think it can be cheaper with better results when doing it remotely because you are doing some of the work yourself and the tuner only has time invested in changing the tune and reviewing the logs rather that operating your car to create data...So for the money you spend the tuner can review many more logs and finely tune the car.

I've had 500 dollar dyno tunes and at some point the tuner has to call it a day for that money even when it may not be complete.

I had my first mustang with a Kenne bell dyno tuned by lund...When I coasted the car never went in to CFSO and would read 11's AFR. Transient fuel and tip ins were terrible, the car would sputter with the afr's in the 17's briefly then clean up. The stft's were pulling 25% during coasting and it still wasn't enough. Traction control was off permanently rendering my traction button useless.

I could hear the car pinging below 4k at wot and I had to pull out about 8* to get it too stop. I had the MTF thankfully. When I emailed him he said I was grasping at straws when I said I thought I heard knock. The slopes and breakpoints for the injectors was all wrong. They were included with my kit and Kenne bell recommended lund.

He became so slow with his email responses. I started talking to James Gordon we retuned the car and I never looked back.

I prefer to only tune remotely now.

My car drove pretty well all things considered with the lund dyno tune. But I'm picky and had a wideband and pay attention to detail. I think most people would've thought the car was fine. So I don't know if I was the exception or had a legitimately bad experience

Stevem17500

Established Member
Is it a big of a difference?
Need info on both
Prices? Power any recommendations? Guidance to good tuners?
I'm located in Cali diamond bar!! Thnks

2012 manual 5.0
- cobra jet intake manifold
- scj mono blade tb
- rev auto 5 inch cold air intake
- kooks lt headers
-kooks o/r x pipe
- 373 gears ford racing
- rear wheels 285/35/20 nitto 555
- gt500 ab
- accel coils

Don't waste u r time go to Eddie at addiction motorsports..

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
Good I emailed Shaun at aed! Hope he replies
How much is a emailed tune?

He will....Shaun's customer Service is second to none....

Also, you will be VERY happy with the ends results should you decide to let him tune your car

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As long as there aren't any mechanical issues with the car, a street tune is the most real world tune you'll get.

You are tuning on the exact load your car is actually seeing.

We can set you up with a complete Lund tune that you would be more than happy with!

Beef
513-478-1965

VNMOUS1

Established Member
an email tune with remote data logging is just as good as a dyno tune.

This.

And as Beef says, street or track (real world) is the best for fine tuning. You have no g forces nor dynamics in play on the dyno.

That's why we invite datalogs for every tune.

We have logs as well as in-person tuning data from every conceivable configuration, environmental conditions, regional fuel quality and usage. Having both a static and mobile dyno allows us hands-on tuning information that few have access to.

Bj

Last edited:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I am no tuning expert, I don't care what type of tunes on the engine, I am going to want to see a torque curve and HP peak.

So e-mail tune, remote tune or custom tune what ever do, to get the most out it after its dialed in, you need to see what, well I do, what the dyno graph looks like.

Just because you put an intake on good to 7800 doesn't mean that is where your HP peak numbers my possibly be, you could be just spinning the hell of the engine way past the HP peak wasting effort because you do not have the other supporting engine parts the get that HP peak at 7800.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread