Empty Fuel tank?

BeckSVT

Established Member
Wanting to know what the best and fastest way to get all the fuel out of the tank when switching between E85 and 91? LMK
Photo Mar 01, 6 04 37 PM~2 (3).jpg

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
With a stock tank it still takes awhile to drain using the fuel pumps (just imagine how slow it is with a fox 88lph pump). You can jump them at the connector from the back of the car and either take the line off at the filter or fuel rail. Even running a big ass external pump it took awhile, but I hate running the pump low.

Kind of a pain to drop the tank, even a little. If you have a lift and you know how to do it, it isn't awful. Then you can undo the hat and drain it with a siphon or transfer pump a lot easier.

If you're going to be switching a lot, I would put in a dedicated port of some sort. I've got a sump so it was just a matter of putting a valve and some fittings in. With a stock tank I'd either put a hidden bulkhead fitting in that goes to the bottom of the tank, or remove the anti-siphon part of the filler neck so you can pull from there. Then empty it with a siphon or transfer pump.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just drive it til it’s almost empty and switch over.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Just drive it til it’s almost empty and switch over.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

my preferred method but I also bought some hose with a ball valve on one end I hook up to a line in the engine bay (return style system) and it pump it out (my pumps stay on with engine off, key forward). Id investigate the syphon system hotcobra mentioned before dropping the tank to try and pump it out

BeckSVT

Established Member
could i unhook my feed line from my fuel filter and just push on a line on it and turn the key on to drain the tank?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
could i unhook my feed line from my fuel filter and just push on a line on it and turn the key on to drain the tank?

Line wise, yes. If it's a return system, depending on how you have it wired, that will work. But with a returnless system it will only give the pumps a quick pulse to prime with key on. If you disconnect the electrical connector to the tank you can supply power and ground to the pumps through that as I mentioned in my earlier post. It's easy enough to reach from behind the car. Or you can even do it from the FPDM connector inside the trunk.

BeckSVT

Established Member
Line wise, yes. If it's a return system, depending on how you have it wired, that will work. But with a returnless system it will only give the pumps a quick pulse to prime with key on. If you disconnect the electrical connector to the tank you can supply power and ground to the pumps through that as I mentioned in my earlier post. It's easy enough to reach from behind the car. Or you can even do it from the FPDM connector inside the trunk.
Yes i am on a Fore Innovations Full return fuel system.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If your pumps are set up up run full time you can tap into the feed line for the rails. I have a line just for that. I dosconnect the fitting at the rail and connect the drain line. Turn the key and the pumps drain the tank.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
how do you make them run full time when the key is on to drain with the pumps?

depends on how they're wired in. If you're still using the brief FPDM trigger pretty sure they can write you a tune to keep it on to drain the tank

MG0h3

Established Member
how do you make them run full time when the key is on to drain with the pumps?

Do your pumps only prime momentarily key on?

If you have a Hobbs switch you can jumper it.

Or just unhook the pump connector and jumper them from the battery.

Still don’t know why you don’t just daily it for a couple days to empty it out.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If your pumps are set up up run full time you can tap into the feed line for the rails. I have a line just for that. I dosconnect the fitting at the rail and connect the drain line. Turn the key and the pumps drain the tank.
And I've done this to! Generally, I store my car with 91 for the winter. And drain it come spring time.

I have stock rails, so I disconnect right at the fore fuel filter.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

BeckSVT

Established Member
Do your pumps only prime momentarily key on?

If you have a Hobbs switch you can jumper it.

Or just unhook the pump connector and jumper them from the battery.

Still don’t know why you don’t just daily it for a couple days to empty it out.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app
I dont know yet im in the process of doing a fore innovations fuel system with a -10 feed and -8 return with honeywell pressure switch and fc3 controller

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont know yet im in the process of doing a fore innovations fuel system with a -10 feed and -8 return with honeywell pressure switch and fc3 controller

They have "T" fittings with a cap at the top, put that on your feed line somewhere in the engine bay and quick easy way to hook up a drain line. I trailered my car across the state for pump gas and E85 tuning the same day so being able to drain it was a must

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bro, all u gotta do it is go to ur fuel rail and disconnect it.

Take a 3/8's fuel hose line (and band clamp) and connect it to the rail. Mine has a quick disconnect with no band clamp but works the same.

I get power from the fuse box or Turn the key to the on position. Since the car isnt gonna see fuel pressure, it will continue to run until the tank is dry. Drain it into ur 5 gallon jug. I usually bring (2) 5 gallon jugs. Takes like 5-6 minutes. Close the fuel line up and put ur E85 in. Simple......

Yes i am on a Fore Innovations Full return fuel system.

Users who are viewing this thread