Enclosed or open trailer

KILRSVT

Established Member
My closest track is an hour and 15 minutes away which is Infineon raceway. Last time I was there my alternator light came on and I had to cut my track day short and barely made it home. Thunder hill is 3 hours away and Monterrey is 2 . So my question is I know the open trailers are cheaper but I hear the enclosed is the way to go . So what are you guys using ? I'm thinking of spending the extra 1500 for an enclosed and even save on some motel bills ... What are your guys opinions thanks in advance :shrug:

Happy new years as well!!:beer:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
if you've got the money for it, I'd say just get an enclosed trailer!

BTW...do you have the black termi vert?

Sirl

Established Member
Sure, thats a no brainer.
If you have the money, storage space, tow vehicle, then sure. Get an enclosed.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i think it depends on what you want do at the track. if you are basically going to haul the car with a tool box and spare set of tires, get the open trailer. get an aluminum.

i often sleep in my trailer to save on expenses. thats a reason to go enclosed. enclosed gives you a spot to get out of the weather. i carry spare parts and food and a fridge and microwave because i have a generator. if you want that option, get the enclosed.

Sirl

Established Member
Down here in S.Florida, I've spend many hours sitting in a friends enclosed trailer while rain storms pass by.

I dont know about your car, but another reason is that you can go with plastic/lexan side windows, or, lose them all together, not having to worry about rain or locking your car. You can just store/lock it in the trailer.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have been using an open trailer for years. It works great. I do plan on, and am constantly searching for, an enclosed trailer. I paid $2600, new, for my open. I can't even find a used enclosed trailer, in my area, for $4100. At least one in decent shape. I would say if you have the money to spend, and the means to pull it, get an enclosed trailer. I also recomend at least a 28' with 5K lb axles. I see guys all the time with 24' trailers and they have stuff jammed in every corner. I would like to have a little room to put stuff. It is like always wishing your garage was a little bigger.

WPBcobra

Established Member
If money aint the prob look for a 28ft+ enclosed trailer. I had an open trailer worked great when doing 5 to 6 weekends a year but now doing 13+ events a year a enclosed trailer is great. you can get out of the heat,rain. I also built mine with a bed,shower,fridge to cut cost on hotels.

Here is a few pics of my set up. It is a 28ft. I found it used for 2800. just needed some cleaning up.
2011-08-25214054.jpg

282445_2168929538515_1105012237_32584677_2083144_n.jpg

270267_2159434981157_1105012237_32571532_559101_n.jpg

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
this is not something many of you will want, but i will offer it here. my trailer is a custom made 38' gooseneck aluminum that i got from Roush Racing. 5k rv generator, 12v and 110 lights, floor winch. custom aluminum cabinets, hydrolic landing gear and more. its a pretty tricked out trailer.

i actually would like to trade it for a 32' trailer. my friend at roush called a while back to say he had a 32 he could sell me. so, if someone wants this 38', i'd give you a wildly good deal on it.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Definatley an enclosed if you can swing it. I also agree with a 28ft or bigger. It gives room for your car and a lot of gear if need be. At one point we had a 24 or a 26ft I can't remember and my car fit in it but there was zero room for anything else. We now have a 34ft and there is a ton of room with my car in it. :) But she's a big bitch that's for sure lol

David Hester

Established Member
If money aint the prob look for a 28ft+ enclosed trailer. I had an open trailer worked great when doing 5 to 6 weekends a year but now doing 13+ events a year a enclosed trailer is great. you can get out of the heat,rain. I also built mine with a bed,shower,fridge to cut cost on hotels.

Here is a few pics of my set up. It is a 28ft. I found it used for 2800. just needed some cleaning up.

Nice set-up! I wussed out and got a 32 ft with living quarters up front. Fold out beds for 4, fridge, microwave, tv, heater/A/C, shower, toilet, closet.
DSC05683.jpg

Mine is black.
P0000001.jpg

Got it in 2006. Enclosed Trailers - Millennium Trailer For Sale 096
Rob has a nice rig, if you have the truck to pull it.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
An aluminun open trailer will haul your stuff ok but it will get wet when it rains and security is an issue. As a plus, it requires a much less heavy duty tow vehicle.

An enclosed trailer will haul your stuff, keep it out of the elements and be secure. If you live in a hot climate you're going to want to put an A/C unit on there to 'camp' at the track. You don't necessarily need a generator but you'd need to plug in at the track. An enclosed trailer, particularly if you're hauling lots of spares like a spare set of slicks and a set of rain tires, tools, fuel, etc, requires a significantly larger tow vehicle. If you're going to be doing long hauls you're definitely going to want a diesel truck, F-250 at the minimum. A weight distribution hitch with anti-sway is a no brainer.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

KILRSVT

Established Member
wow it sounds like its either go big or go home situation . The enclosed used trailer Im looking at is 8 1/2 by 16 1/2. it aint a beast its enough to carry my car and maybe some tires but but thats it. all the other suff will be in the truck...cant really afford a 20+ for now. But my options are either to enclosed for 3500 or an open for around 2000. so what do you guys think?..but thinking about bruce said I think my truck will probably do better with the open

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
You're going to want larger, later, but figure you can stay at the track in an enclosed, and save couple of nights motel bill. You could save the $1500 in just a season, certainly over 2 and then you DO save money... till you go bigger.
That was my story with the big enclosed and I'm sticking to it. (That and the fact the wife doesn't have to go to the track restroom or shower). ;^)
I started with an open trailer in '94, then a 28 foot enclosed, and now the 32 foot.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Well I'm going to gravitate toward the enclosed for now I can camp in it when I do weekend events I think I can get it a little cheaper. 16 1/2 feet enclosed is better than open pretty sure my dodge truck can tow that trailer no problem

Last edited:

WPBcobra

Established Member
Well I'm going to gravitate toward the enclosed for now I can camp in it when I do weekend events I think I can get it a little cheaper. 16 1/2 feet enclosed is better than open pretty sure my dodge truck can tow that trailer no problem

wow 16 1/2 is really small. you should look around for atleast a 20 to 24 that the min. you should be able to find a 24 ft for 3500. It takes time. When i found my 28ft enclosed it took me 2 months to find a deal (2800 paid).

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I started with an open 18ft trailer. I just picked up a 24ft enclosed. I compromised on somethings, but the price was right for me. It all depends, IMO, what your intent is. If you are just getting into it, go open and see how you progress. I plan on stepping it up this year which is why I 'upgraded'.

KILRSVT

Established Member
if you've got the money for it, I'd say just get an enclosed trailer!

BTW...do you have the black termi vert?

I started with an open 18ft trailer. I just picked up a 24ft enclosed. I compromised on somethings, but the price was right for me. It all depends, IMO, what your intent is. If you are just getting into it, go open and see how you progress. I plan on stepping it up this year which is why I 'upgraded'.

No I have silver one with chrome stockers well bound to run into each other sooner or later

I got some thinking to do. For now I think open is the cheapest and best due to the fact that it's easier to tow I can always go half on a motel with one of my track buds I can have some jacks and stuff on my truck.

Even if I find a 20ft I don't think I have enough to tow it... I believe the tow capacity is 9900 on my truck

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
My 32 foot enclosed with car,tools,water, etc. is well under 10,000 lbs. You do want some reserve for hills, though.

Users who are viewing this thread