Enclosed or open trailer

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I'd go with an open 18' trailer before even thinking of using an enclosed 16 1/2' trailer. Loading will be a pain in the rear, and tying down the straps on the front would be nearly impossible.

I used to use an enclosed 20' and it was ok. I now have an 18' open with a front box and tire rack and I am perfectly happy. I split hotel rooms with different friends.

When I step up to an enclosed, it will be a 28+ so I can have a sleeping area up front.

-Kevin

DevilSun

Established Member
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I'm currently looking for a trailer and have always thought my buddies 28ft trailer was too big and was looking for anything between 18 and ~21! You all bring up some wonderful points, and I know my new truck can tow damn near anything mentioned here. Guess I need to not exclude some of the bigger trailers for damn near every reason mentioned.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
for anyone interested i am going to roush tomorrow morning where they have 10ish 28-38ft gooseneck aluminum trailers for sale. i am going to see a truck, but can get picks and details on the trailers if anyone here is looking for one.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am in the market for a 28'-30' trailer. I have been looking for a while, but everyone in my area thinks trailers this size are gold plated or something. The cheapest I have found yet in this size used was $5500, and it was beat.

DevilSun

Established Member
for anyone interested i am going to roush tomorrow morning where they have 10ish 28-38ft gooseneck aluminum trailers for sale. i am going to see a truck, but can get picks and details on the trailers if anyone here is looking for one.
I most definitely am interested in seeing what they have and prices. I'm sure some of them of pretty bad-ass and a little over the top...so please, get what pics and info you can.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
FWIW, Grassroots Motorsports has an article on selecting the right trailer in the latest issue.
You should see the trailers Peter Brock is building now.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
Gcasssidy I do have the latest grass roots I'll have to read it for sure. For now open due to the fact I'm starting off .

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I am in the market for a 28'-30' trailer. I have been looking for a while, but everyone in my area thinks trailers this size are gold plated or something. The cheapest I have found yet in this size used was $5500, and it was beat.

Doug - If you haven't already, watch the YellwBullet trailer classifieds. Lots of good deals on there, may require some driving though.

David Hester

Established Member
Dave's a tough old geezer. :rolling:
dAMN, STRAIGHT! :beer:

That and the a/c unit on top.
P0000001.jpg
(top right).
Can't always find power at tracks, but have a Yamaha 3000 watt generator that runs everything fine, and is SUPER quiet. Kinda pricey, but I got it on sale for like $200 off. Will run lights, a/c, frig, tv and microwave at same time. Does have trouble starting a full size compressor, but I use a small pancake type compressor in the trailer plumbed to a 10 gallon air tank. Always have plenty of air, and that way can even run an air tool, if I remember to bring along. :^(
I have had "Buds" turn off my old generator in the middle of the night because it was too loud....even though they had asked to borrow power early in the day. :dw:
ef3000iseb_generator.jpg

This thing works great. Runs 12+ hours (all night) with everything going and up to 18+ hours when it is cool, on one tankful of gas. (3 or 3 1/2 gallons, I think)

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
hey all. i went and looked at the trailers today. there were maybe 10. i have photos and details on most of them. you can pm me with your phone number and i can give you the details. additionally, i have a really tricked out 38' trailer that i would sell so that i can downsize into a 32' that i saw today.

here's one of many pics that i got today.

IMG_7011.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread