End of the Shelby GT500?

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
That 2007 at 30k is 71% of the MSRP. That's going to decrease over the next 3 years most likely but I think it still might be better than the 57% of the '04. The amounts are higher and the loss greater in sheer dollars but the percentage will likely be less.

That said, I agree that these Shelbys won't have the same collectability of their 60s counterparts.

Yep and you would be correct for those few who paid msrp or below on a '07 GT500...as I remember it, $15,000 ADMs were the norm. I even saw and heard of $25,000 ADMs...ADMs were the norm on that year. For those who paid them and sold their cars, they took big hits...so someone who paid $42K msrp and a $15k adm = $57,000. Selling it 6 years later for $32,000 is 56% residual value. $57,000 x 56% = $31,920 Whats not to understand about the math? If a adm was paid wouldn't you factor it into your loss? Some paid $20k adms! That is nearly 52% residual value! A $25k adm would be 48%!
GT500 - ADM - Auto Loans - Shelby GT500 (2007-2009) - Team Shelby

ZR1 E8R

Established Member
My friend's company was approached by Ford to make the GT500 shifter for the 15's.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yep and you would be correct for those few who paid msrp or below on a '07 GT500...as I remember it, $15,000 ADMs were the norm. I even saw and heard of $25,000 ADMs...ADMs were the norm on that year. For those who paid them and sold their cars, they took big hits...so someone who paid $42K msrp and a $15k adm = $57,000. Selling it 6 years later for $32,000 is 56% residual value. $57,000 x 56% = $31,920 Whats not to understand about the math? If a adm was paid wouldn't you factor it into your loss? Some paid $20k adms! That is nearly 52% residual value! A $25k adm would be 48%!

Paying an ADM= stupid. People should know better.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
What helps retain the value of the 03-04 Cobra is just that. That car was 2 years only period. The Shelby has been around since 07. Had Shelby stopped after 2 years that car would be holding its value just as much if not better than 03-04.

Well that is my opinion anyway. Ford will come out with something great, they seem to always do.

OaktownACE

Established Member
But for comparison's sake

I think you need to keep it a MSRP to MSRP comparison because while some did pay ADMs some didn't so I don't think you can remark on resale residuals with assumed numbers. Otherwise the numbers can be skewed any way you want. Sticker to sticker, the '07s will likely have a higher residual value than the '03s.

As far as inflation goes, that's another reason to look at the percentage more than the dollar amounts because it allows for a more even comparison.

It's just too bad that the Mustang doesn't capture people like it did in the '60s because then these cars would be something special in 20-30 years.

USV8PWR

Established Member
You don't have to look far, The MSRP on my Competition Orange Cobra was $34,860.00 With a $4k rebate at the time, and some haggling I drove away $29k out the door...2 Years later when a stolen car hit me and totaled it, the Ins. co. paid out OVER $30k A.C.V. I saw one on ebay asking $25k for his the other day...and I see the avg. today selling $20K! Over 9 years later, that's a solid 66% hold in value from what I paid in 2004...If that guy on Ebay sells his for $25k, that will be $1k less than what I paid for mine brand new!! There is not a Shelby name on it.

Lets look at the 2007 Shelby...do you remember? $42k msrp...and $10-20k dealer mark ups!! That's right...some people paid $50+k and I've heard some went for $70k!! The Shelby name. Guess what? You can get a nice low mileage one today for $30k...if you paid msrp, that's roughly 70% hold in value on a 6 yr. old car...when its 9 years old will it even be holding at 66%? I don't know, but I'll bet not. For those who paid $50k+, they took huge losses...I feel bad for them. A stock '03-'04 Cobra will beat a stock '07 GT500:thumbsup:

Your argument above is flawed but not exactly like the other poster pointed out. The problem with your comparison is you are comparing the 03/04 Terminators (the absolute best of the regular production SVT Cobras) with the poorest performing Shelby GT500's, the 2007 model. Apples to apples would be comparing a 94 - 97 Cobra to a 07 - 09 Shelby GT500 or a 98 to 01 Cobra to a 10 to 12 Shelby. The 03/04 Cobras have held their values so well because they were the BEST of the regular SVT Cobra line to date and the last of their platform. The were the last two years of a storied car and night and day different performance wise from the 2001 model.

The real comparison would be the 2003/2004 Cobra vs. the 2013/2014 Shelby (the two top dogs of that platform), in which again I don't think there will be much of a comparison. The 2013/2014 will not only retain value better than the 2003/2004 Cobra because of its sheer leap in performance and more features but also the fact that Ford will build LESS THAN 50% 2013/2014 cars than they did 2003/2004 SVT Cobras. So not only will you have likely even higher demand (most folks will want the new higher HP and better performing 2013/2014 in the future) you will have much less supply.

THEN on top of all that you finally have the Shelby name. Which I don't even think the name has all that much to do with it. But FWIW, these are the last cars Shelby himself blessed.

EXACTLY...my point was made. I would've bought this car with/without the Shelby name, and without the name, these '13-'14 "cobras" may have had a substantially lower msrp. The residual value based on non-Shelby Cobras being the same if not better. Showing the 2007 GT500 residual values of $30k today, and the msrp of $42k and in many cases a $5-$15k ADM, that nearly matches the 57% residual value of a '04 Cobra...3 years older and without the Shelby name. With somewhere around 45,000 Shelby GT500 produced since 2007-2014...the crazy collectivity and $ the GT500 of the sixties, will never be seen in our lifetime, if ever. It's a given the '13-'14 will fair better than previous years...I'll be glad for the return of "SVT COBRA" for more reasons than one, and if it helps to retain the value of my '13 GT500 because Shelby name on it, the better for it.

lol...Why won't it be seen? Most of my generaration pre-40, I'm 34, care less about owning a 60's car vs. one from our generation. When we retire in 20 to 30 years we will seek out examples from our childhood and young adult time period. Just as our fathers did with the old muscle cars. Just like my grandfather lusted over the 30's and 40's hot rods of his day. The 60's cars prices are starting to come down quite a bit as now 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars of today embarrass them in every performance category.

Will the 07 Shelby be as collectible as the 13, absolutely not. There are more of them and the 13 is a vastly superior car. But the 07 will still be a collectible one day. Just as the 1964 to 1966 6 cylinder Mustangs are today and how many of those did Ford build??? Well over 1 MILLION if I am not Mistaken.

That said, I agree that these Shelbys won't have the same collectability of their 60s counterparts.

Your right, it will be higher. Younger guys like myself don't want the 60's cars which would have a problem in stock form outrunning a V6 Mustang of today. We want real power and stock 11 second cars. :beer:

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
The Shelby name has been dropped because he is deceased. Ford is now making the decision to not continue paying royalties to a man that no longer exists. Unless of course they want to give it to his family members, which I am sure they do not.

Since his death in May 2012 there has been probably more litigation over this than any of us on this forum can imagine. Cannot blame Ford for probably saving the lawyer fees and moving on.

bossman302

Banned
I have to disagree, form the introduction of the 07 GT 500, it has been an extremely powerful car. I bought two new 03 Cobra's, Both ran 12.20's give or take bone stock.

I bought a new GT 500 in 07 when they First came out, I took it to the track Bone stock, on original tires, it ran a 12.21. at 117. However with a pulley, CAI, and a Axel Back it went 11.10 at 131. So I would put the 07 Shelby with any of the 03/04 cars as far as performance goes

Now the 2013/14 GT 500 is a totally different story, I agree they are priced high, but they have lots of Upgrades the older cars did not have, and they are a full second faster than a stock 03/04. So I don't think they can really be compared, I remember Driving my new 03 Cobra home, how refined I thought it was with all the power switches on the seat, and the Cool IRS rear suspension

Now the 03/04 Cobra is the BEST bang for your buck car ford has ever built. I do think that a true Pristine example of one will do nothing but increase in value.

Now that I have a 2014, I love the car, However I did make few Changes, over stock, but nothing major. Just made it easier to drive 1st gear is way long. Well it was, LOL

Now if Ford actually drops the Shelby name, I think the Cars to own will be the 2007, and the 2014, and any shelby car built at SAI. Any Shelby built after 2014, will have nothing to do with Being a shelby, Just have a Shelby badge on it, because he will have had no hand in it, like the 13 and the 14. Only time will tell how prices and values hold up.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Your argument above is flawed but not exactly like the other poster pointed out. The problem with your comparison is you are comparing the 03/04 Terminators (the absolute best of the regular production SVT Cobras) with the poorest performing Shelby GT500's, the 2007 model. Apples to apples would be comparing a 94 - 97 Cobra to a 07 - 09 Shelby GT500 or a 98 to 01 Cobra to a 10 to 12 Shelby. The 03/04 Cobras have held their values so well because they were the BEST of the regular SVT Cobra line to date and the last of their platform. The were the last two years of a storied car and night and day different performance wise from the 2001 model.

The real comparison would be the 2003/2004 Cobra vs. the 2013/2014 Shelby (the two top dogs of that platform), in which again I don't think there will be much of a comparison. The 2013/2014 will not only retain value better than the 2003/2004 Cobra because of its sheer leap in performance and more features but also the fact that Ford will build LESS THAN 50% 2013/2014 cars than they did 2003/2004 SVT Cobras. So not only will you have likely even higher demand (most folks will want the new higher HP and better performing 2013/2014 in the future) you will have much less supply.

THEN on top of all that you finally have the Shelby name. Which I don't even think the name has all that much to do with it. But FWIW, these are the last cars Shelby himself blessed.

lol...Why won't it be seen? Most of my generaration pre-40, I'm 34, could care less about the 60's cars. When we retire in 20 to 30 years we will seek out examples from our childhood and young adult time period. Just as our fathers did with the old muscle cars. Just like my grandfather lusted over the 30's and 40's hot rods of his day. The 60's cars prices are starting to come down quite a bit as now 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars of today embarrass them in every performance category.

Will the 07 Shelby be as collectible as the 13, absolutely not. There are more of them and the 13 is a vastly superior car. But the 07 will still be a collectible one day. Just as the 1964 to 1966 6 cylinder Mustangs are today and how many of those did Ford build??? Well over 1 MILLION if I am not Mistaken.

Your right, it will be higher. Younger guys like myself don't want the 60's cars which would have a problem in stock form outrunning a V6 Mustang of today. We want real power and stock 11 second cars. :beer:
I'm 32 and I couldn't disagree more, I care about the 60's and it's cars...My dad taught me to appreciate the forgotten era by some of us younger guys. Tradition and History have brought us where we are today. I remember my childhood with Fox Body 5.0's, I don't look as fondly on them...
Just sayin! my $0.02

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Younger guys dont want 60's cars?

The hell you talkin' 'bout?

Id kill for a GT500 of any kind from the 60's. But I recognize they're expensive, require more maintenance, and something about driving one a few thousand miles a year seems demanding.

USV8PWR

Established Member
I'm 32 and I couldn't disagree more, I care about the 60's and it's cars...My dad taught me to appreciate the forgotten era by some of us younger guys. Tradition and History have brought us where we are today. I remember my childhood with Fox Body 5.0's, I don't look as fondly on them...
Just sayin! my $0.02

You misunderstood me...oh I care about them. I just don't really care to own one! Well unless I had all of the newer rides I desired. At any rate, I'd much rather have my new 2013 Shelby than my father's 67 Shelby, but to each their own I guess. :beer:

Younger guys dont want 60's cars?

The hell you talkin' 'bout?

Id kill for a GT500 of any kind from the 60's. But I recognize they're expensive, require more maintenance, and something about driving one a few thousand miles a year seems demanding.

lol...guys will be saying the same thing about these cars 20 to 30 years from now when electric cars are more the norm. Again, typically speaking of course as car lovers age they desire the cars they remember from their early adult life.

rwboring

Established Member
You misunderstood me...oh I care about them. I just don't really care to own one! Well unless I had all of the newer rides I desired. At any rate, I'd much rather have my new 2013 Shelby than my father's 67 Shelby, but to each their own I guess. :beer:

I'm 29 and if had to give one up I'd give up the 2013 and keep my 65 (coupe for that matter)... honestly if I am just driving around town and not on a trip I would take the 1965 the majority of the time (and miles don't matter on it).

I'm actually debating buying a 68 to restore...

Actually I think more people ask me about the '65 then the '13 and when anyone comes to my house they spend a ton more time looking at the old with no technology then all the bells and whistles on the 2013.

Of course speed/power its no contest, but we wouldn't have them today if it wasn't for what happened 50 years ago! :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread