End of the Shelby GT500?

bossman302

Banned
I knew this was coming, I like the Shelby name plate, but it already has just as many SVT badges on it. So I don't see it as a huge deal, however if you want a Last year Shelby, may want o get on it. I also hear they are Lowering production of the 2014's as compared to the 13's

mnewxcv

Established Member
say it aint so? good riddance(of the name). its always been an SVT, not a shelby, in my eyes (since 2007)

KILRSVT

Established Member
It will make the ones left more sought after... I don't think the GT500 will be what it is without carrol Shelby around if they were to make another model in 2015

Last edited:

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
It will make the ones left more sought after... I don't think the GT500 will be what it is without carrol Shelby around if they were to make another model in 2015

How so? The 07 was straight out of the 04 mold (minus the IRS) and they only had 1 refresh the entire run vs 3 for the 96-03 cars. Sounds like the old man was holding them back lol

Edit: Not to mention the lack of R models with a shelby nameplate.

Husky44

Established Member
Link above quotes Road and Track article, which says

" We’ve heard some wild scuttlebutt pertaining to the SVT car. For one, don’t be surprised if it drops the Shelby moniker. Word is, it’ll still have a name you’re familiar with, though. Our money’s on Cobra."

"Wild scuttlebutt?" "Don't be surprised if...?" "Word is..."

Enough weasel room in that quote to drift a tractor-trailer through, sideways, without hitting anything.

No need to get all up in arms. There's no real facts out there yet. So, we can all chill, unless, of course, you want to get all breathless, offended, and have stuff to rant about.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
If you want the monster hurry and get one If you want to wait for the mouse motor well it will be very good as well :)

BlueOvalRapture

Established Member
How so? The 07 was straight out of the 04 mold (minus the IRS) and they only had 1 refresh the entire run vs 3 for the 96-03 cars. Sounds like the old man was holding them back lol

Edit: Not to mention the lack of R models with a shelby nameplate.

How so? 2 year limited run on the most powerful production V8 ever made, for the 2013s first mustang to run 200 in factory trim, 20th anniversary of SVT combine with the last Shelby Carroll had input in. I say that cant hurt its value

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
This has been discussed in the 2015 forum, where it belongs. I personally don't care what they call the Top Mustang... It (whatever IT is) is still the top-of-the-line Mustang. GT500, GT350, Cobra, Cobra Jet, Boss, Mach, all that matters is how it performs.

I'm more concerned about the rumor forced induction will be dropped. Unless we get a tall deck NA Coyote, we'll need a blower or turbo to stay on top. I wonder if some of that isn't misinformation. No better way to spur sales of the outgoing model than to cast doubt on the future one.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Wait til Ford announces it. It's all Hearsay until they do. I also have heard of and seen pictures of a mule with a 5.0TT and IRS...

I expect a new platform atop the Cobra as well...

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I expected the GT500 and Shelby name to go after the 2014 MY. IMHO they have all been SVT Cobras, SVT has been the one to make it happen since 1993. I for one wont shed a tear, don't get me wrong...Carrol Shelby was great and produced great cars, but my 2013 GT500 didn't come out of Las Vegas Shelby America, it came off the Ford production line designed and engineered by SVT. How much Carrol Shelby's actual input into our cars I don't know, but I'd think very limited. Slap on some stripes and his name and you have a great marketing tool, and Ford used it very well...commanding between $55-75k for these cars. I wonder what we'd have paid if they were just "SVT Cobra"? Wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

You don't have to look far, The MSRP on my Competition Orange Cobra was $34,860.00 With a $4k rebate at the time, and some haggling I drove away $29k out the door...2 Years later when a stolen car hit me and totaled it, the Ins. co. paid out OVER $30k A.C.V. I saw one on ebay asking $25k for his the other day...and I see the avg. today selling $20K! Over 9 years later, that's a solid 66% hold in value from what I paid in 2004...If that guy on Ebay sells his for $25k, that will be $1k less than what I paid for mine brand new!! There is not a Shelby name on it.

Lets look at the 2007 Shelby...do you remember? $42k msrp...and $10-20k dealer mark ups!! That's right...some people paid $50+k and I've heard some went for $70k!! The Shelby name. Guess what? You can get a nice low mileage one today for $30k...if you paid msrp, that's roughly 70% hold in value on a 6 yr. old car...when its 9 years old will it even be holding at 66%? I don't know, but I'll bet not. For those who paid $50k+, they took huge losses...I feel bad for them. A stock '03-'04 Cobra will beat a stock '07 GT500:thumbsup:

Oh yea, back to what we were talking about...hope my '13 holds as much of its value as my '04...if the Shelby name helps with that this time, GREAT! Tho I didn't buy it for whether or not it holds its value.

If Ford opens up the Coyote to 5.4, 5.8, Natural Aspirated what are we looking at? 500 hp.? Throw a Cobra badge on it, 200lbs lighter than a '13-14 GT500 with around 500 hp and 3.55 or 3.73 gears...I don't see beating stock '13 and '14 GT500s. And I would imagine the msrp to be more reasonable...$50k? Now after some testing, and twin turbos a year or two later, that would be a different story. If they TT the 5.X Coyote for 2015 WoW!! I really didn't expect a "Cobra" to be in the line-up for 2015. Cant wait to see its unveiling!! But no matter what it looks like or how it performs, I'm keeping the '13:-D Just as I kept the '04 when the '07 came out...:dancenana:

rwboring

Established Member
I expected the GT500 and Shelby name to go after the 2014 MY. IMHO they have all been SVT Cobras, SVT has been the one to make it happen since 1993. I for one wont shed a tear, don't get me wrong...Carrol Shelby was great and produced great cars, but my 2013 GT500 didn't come out of Las Vegas Shelby America, it came off the Ford production line designed and engineered by SVT. How much Carrol Shelby's actual input into our cars I don't know, but I'd think very limited. Slap on some stripes and his name and you have a great marketing tool, and Ford used it very well...commanding between $55-75k for these cars. I wonder what we'd have paid if they were just "SVT Cobra"? Wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

You don't have to look far, The MSRP on my Competition Orange Cobra was $34,860.00 With a $4k rebate at the time, and some haggling I drove away $29k out the door...2 Years later when a stolen car hit me and totaled it, the Ins. co. paid out OVER $30k A.C.V. I saw one on ebay asking $25k for his the other day...and I see the avg. today selling $20K! Over 9 years later, that's a solid 66% hold in value from what I paid in 2004...If that guy on Ebay sells his for $25k, that will be $1k less than what I paid for mine brand new!! There is not a Shelby name on it.

Lets look at the 2007 Shelby...do you remember? $42k msrp...and $10-20k dealer mark ups!! That's right...some people paid $50+k and I've heard some went for $70k!! The Shelby name. Guess what? You can get a nice low mileage one today for $30k...if you paid msrp, that's roughly 70% hold in value on a 6 yr. old car...when its 9 years old will it even be holding at 66%? I don't know, but I'll bet not. For those who paid $50k+, they took huge losses...I feel bad for them. A stock '03-'04 Cobra will beat a stock '07 GT500:thumbsup:

Oh yea, back to what we were talking about...hope my '13 holds as much of its value as my '04...if the Shelby name helps with that this time, GREAT! Tho I didn't buy it for whether or not it holds its value.

If Ford opens up the Coyote to 5.4, 5.8, Natural Aspirated what are we looking at? 500 hp.? Throw a Cobra badge on it, 200lbs lighter than a '13-14 GT500 with around 500 hp and 3.55 or 3.73 gears...I don't see beating stock '13 and '14 GT500s. And I would imagine the msrp to be more reasonable...$50k? Now after some testing, and twin turbos a year or two later, that would be a different story. If they TT the 5.X Coyote for 2015 WoW!! I really didn't expect a "Cobra" to be in the line-up for 2015. Cant wait to see its unveiling!! But no matter what it looks like or how it performs, I'm keeping the '13:-D Just as I kept the '04 when the '07 came out...:dancenana:

when he was with Chrysler only a few of the mopars were made in his shop... and IIRC it was not the CS edition viper...

Last edited:

OaktownACE

Established Member
I read your post and your logic appears flawed because of a couple reasons. First you got a heavily discounted car and are comparing a residual percentage based on a heavily discounted price which is going to skew the statistics. Second, if indeed, Ford stops using the Shelby name it will help keep the residual values up and will likely be ahead of your orange car when you make an apples to apples comparison (if you use msrp for your orange car then it's 57% residual at 20k).

Ford used the Shelby name to attract more customers. For me it worked because I never would be buying a mustang if it wasn't a Shelby because a Shelby has always been a dream car. Without the Shelby name I'd be buying a restored '67-68 Mustang, not a new 68k car.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
It would seem appropriate. With the car going global, they just can't support the big bruising V8 that gives the car a 56/44 weight distribution. Honestly a car with a 3500 lb weight and a twin turbo 5.0 would be the shizznet and a suitable replacement. I will keep my ancient GT500.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I read your post and your logic appears flawed because of a couple reasons. First you got a heavily discounted car and are comparing a residual percentage based on a heavily discounted price which is going to skew the statistics. Second, if indeed, Ford stops using the Shelby name it will help keep the residual values up and will likely be ahead of your orange car when you make an apples to apples comparison (if you use msrp for your orange car then it's 57% residual at 20k).

Ford used the Shelby name to attract more customers. For me it worked because I never would be buying a mustang if it wasn't a Shelby because a Shelby has always been a dream car. Without the Shelby name I'd be buying a restored '67-68 Mustang, not a new 68k car.

EXACTLY...my point was made. I would've bought this car with/without the Shelby name, and without the name, these '13-'14 "cobras" may have had a substantially lower msrp. The residual value based on non-Shelby Cobras being the same if not better. Showing the 2007 GT500 residual values of $30k today, and the msrp of $42k and in many cases a $5-$15k ADM, that nearly matches the 57% residual value of a '04 Cobra...3 years older and without the Shelby name. With somewhere around 45,000 Shelby GT500 produced since 2007-2014...the crazy collectivity and $ the GT500 of the sixties, will never be seen in our lifetime, if ever. It's a given the '13-'14 will fair better than previous years...I'll be glad for the return of "SVT COBRA" for more reasons than one, and if it helps to retain the value of my '13 GT500 because Shelby name on it, the better for it.

Last edited:

OaktownACE

Established Member
I'm not sure I agree on your math

EXACTLY...my point was made. I would've bought this car with/without the Shelby name, and without the name, these '13-'14 "cobras" may have had a substantially lower msrp. The residual value based on non-Shelby Cobras being the same if not better. Showing the 2007 GT500 residual values of $30k today, and the msrp of $42k and in many cases a $5-$15k ADM, that nearly matches the 57% residual value of a '04 Cobra...3 years older and without the Shelby name. With somewhere around 45,000 Shelby GT500 produced since 2007-2014...the crazy collectivity and $ the GT500 of the sixties, will never be seen in our lifetime, if ever. It's a given the '13-'14 will fair better than previous years...I'll be glad for the return of "SVT COBRA" for more reasons than one, and if it helps to retain the value of my '13 GT500 because Shelby name on it, the better for it.

That 2007 at 30k is 71% of the MSRP. That's going to decrease over the next 3 years most likely but I think it still might be better than the 57% of the '04. The amounts are higher and the loss greater in sheer dollars but the percentage will likely be less.

That said, I agree that these Shelbys won't have the same collectability of their 60s counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread