Engine bay cleaning / detailing

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Any good write ups on engine bay cleaning and detailing?

I've certainly performed this task in the past, but an curious if there are any new products that make this an easier process with better results.

- warm up engine for 5 minutes.
- cover air filter, alternator, fuse box with towel first and plastic over the top.
- gentle spray of big chucks, bugs, and dust off
- mist engine bay with simple green or purple power.
- hit particularly grimey places with more cleanser
- use a brush to agitate tight spaces or build up
- rinse off cleaner with medium spray
- spray on 303 Protectant, and wipe/spread what can be wiped
- remove water protection
- let it dry completely before starting
- touch up visible areas if they look rough
- rejoice

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried to get myself to give it a try, but just worry about issues afterwards. Our 90 convertible has a lot of corrosion on metal parts which a cleaning will not take care of. Engine bay looks like it has 136k miles, not 36k miles. I'd also like to clean the 93 hatch and make it look like it should for a low mileage car...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A grab from my Terminator FAQs.

It is not uncommon for Terminator owners to spray wash their engines to keep the engine and engine bay looking factory fresh. However, occasionally people experience an engine miss after spraying down their engine. The most common reason is a damaged COP (coil on pack). Water can seep into the spark plug hole where engine heat turns it into steam and damages the coil. Here are some things you can do to prevent the problem:

1) Never wash the engine without covering the coil packs.
2) Apply a liberal coating of dielectric grease to the rubber seal on the coil where it connects to the engine.

Spraying down your engine doesn't have to be a daunting task if you take steps to protect the electronics and generally don't use a heavy, direct spray.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
as mentioned in other threads simple green doesnt always agree with aluminum and such. Personally I dont like dressing on anything because it just lets more shit to it imho.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
as mentioned in other threads simple green doesnt always agree with aluminum and such. Personally I dont like dressing on anything because it just lets more shit to it imho.

Right. Simple Green Extreme Aircraft and Precision cleaner is what you want on your car instead of the standard formula.

And I agree that under hood dressing just makes everything a magnet for dust and gunk.

I never bothered warming up before cleaning because that's that degreaser's job. I'd rather put my hand on a cold engine.

ETA: Simple Green Industrial Cleaning Site

railroad

Established Member
I use Tire and Wheel cleaner for Alum rims.
It does not fuzz up alum parts and is gentle on painted surfaces.
After drying spray with Honda Spray and Shine.
It is designed to be safe on all motorcycle surfaces, which includes rubber, paint, chome, alum, etc.
You can wipe it down or let it flow out.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
On a cold engine:
- Leaf blower.
- Regular Simple Green (no issues yet, I just ordered the precision aircraft SG to try).
- Hose/pressure wash off.
- Leaf blower again.

I rarely put anything on plastic under hood.

Users who are viewing this thread