Engine died - should I replace with another 4.6 or go with 5.0?

B-Mac

Established Member
I own a 2001 Qvale Mangusta with a 4.6 DOHC SVT engine mated to a Tremec T-56 tranny that only has 11,000 miles on it. This is the same engine as the 99-01 Mustang Cobra.

Last July at 7,000 miles, the car bottomed out on a dip in the road tearing up the oil pan. I had the repairs made, but 4,000 miles later a rod knock developed. My mechanic says that I should replace the motor because repairing it is going to be more expensive.

I want something with more oomph in the lower range. I would be grateful for advice and insight on what way to go. Some options under consideration:

1) Rustle up a Terminator to swap in
2) Have a Coyote Aluminator installed
3) Have my engine rebuilt and add a supercharger

New 4.6 engines or used engines with low miles are hard to find. I'd be grateful for ideas on where to source one.

I live in Scottsdale Arizona

Thanks much,
Brent

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
What about grabbing a used 5.0 from a junkyard. You can get an F-150 one for 2500 no problem it seems like. Put a new intake (Boss, CJ or stock Mustang), some headers and should have a pretty good motor. Get the FRPP controller and you should be set. Could add boost later if you wanted... I think the only difference are cams, intake (easy fix) and .5 lower compression ratio. Could get you a pretty stout motor cheap and different.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...e=2011&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=3

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd price out the swap against having your current engine rebuilt and go from there. Unless the crank is completely unusable you can build a forged shortblock relatively cheap. Then run a blower and you'll have plenty of oomph.

Martin6107

Established Member
The decision always comes down to how much cash and effort you want to put into the project.
This is a pretty good site for sourcing used parts. I've been able to have parts shipped to my door for lower than local prices. Good luck.

www.car-part.com

shurur

Established Member
You could also get a stroker crank for 5.0L.
Also you could cam it.

Search the na svt recipe I compiled and got approved.

shurur

Established Member
NASVT fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner.
Tune

Stokers are making 400rwhp conservatively.
Dry sleeved BB strokers even more.

Last edited:

B-Mac

Established Member
How much should it cost me to have my engine rebuilt with the good forged stuff assuming my crank is still good? Separately, I don't have a great deal of space between the engine and the hood. Which Supercharger is the shortest height wise? TVS? Oh, I live in Arizona and would probably need one that is cooled.

Thanks for your advice and insights.

search

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll have to talk to a machine shop to get a price. It also depends on how much work you can do yourself. If you have low hood clearance a centrifugal might be your best choice. It mounts to the front of the engine and it's usually pretty low. My F1A was lower than the top of the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread