engine install - car wont start .. help!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Good you found the issue..sucks you gotta tear it apart.

better to tear apart now and make the guy fix his mistake. then come home one day on a wrecker with a box of broken parts and the engine builder telling you to go fly a kite because he has does this 1000+ times and never makes a mistake....

RoadRash

Established Member
Yeah .. I just hope there is no other damage. My builder is going to take care of everything. I just have to get it out again and get it to him.

RoadRash

Established Member
Update: Pulled the engine out and took it to the builder. He pulled the timing cover and oil pan off. We found the cambolt head wedged up by the passenger cam gear. Timing chain had a nick on it. So we got new primary chains as a precaution. Also got some ARP cam bolts and crank bolt. Now everything in the motor has new arp bolts!

My builder did a leakdown test and found no leakage - no bent valves! He also filled the intake ports with fluid and flipped it over and filled the exhaust ports. Again, no leakage. Should get it back this weekend!!

haskett

Established Member
Glad you found the problem and that the damage wasn't too bad. My machinist told me to use loc-tite blue on the cam bolts. While you are in the engine, are you putting in better pistons?

RoadRash

Established Member
Glad you found the problem and that the damage wasn't too bad. My machinist told me to use loc-tite blue on the cam bolts. While you are in the engine, are you putting in better pistons?

This is a new build consisting of:

- Whipple 2.3 Gen II
- supporting fuel mods
- new Boss 5.0 Iron block
- custom Diamond pistons (top and side coated) ~9:1 compression
- Total seal rings, cometic head gaskets
- Stock Cobra crank
- Stock Manley Rods (ARP2000 rod bolts)
- ARP studed block
- Livernois Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads
- Ford GT40 Cams
- Melling Oil pump w/billet gears
- Kooks 1 7/8 Stepped Headers 3" collector
- 3" Kooks catted xpipe
- remote oil filter, Mocal oil cooler & remote oil thermostat

RoadRash

Established Member
Update: My builder did a leakdown test and found no leakage - no bent valves! He also filled the intake ports with fluid and flipped it over and filled the exhaust ports. Again, no leakage. Should get it back this weekend!!

Spoke too soon. He found two intake valves sticking. So he pulled the head off and the pistons are fine. The head is being disassembled and all valves checked. Looks like it was just the two valves/guides .. Hopefully should have it back in a week or so. Then its time for some good news! :beer:

RoadRash

Established Member
Spoke to my engine builder today. Head should be done tomorrow. Then put back on and cams timed. So, I hope by next week I'll have the damn motor. I'll keep you posted!

Users who are viewing this thread