Engine slow spinning over

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Okay, so my air filter fell off when driving. I didn't have the fender liners in and was just testing it around and POOF. I putted back to get the filter and parked the car.

I get a new filter and go to spin the car over, it spins over fine but wouldn't start, pump the pedal a couple times and it cranks and runs fine for about a mile then it starts bogging. Give it to the gas and nothing is happening, RPMs aren't changing much. Seems like something is binding in the belt drive to keep it from spinning.

Here is where I'm at now:

1) Took the blower off and took it to a shop to make sure nothing was wrong with it. Checked out OK.

2) Checked all the idlers and other pulleys to make sure nothing was binding. Everything was okay.

3) Spun the car over without anything hooked (no belt) everything spun over fine.

4) Put everything back together and car displayed the same symptoms previously, doesn't want to spin over.

5) Disconnect the pipe running from the intake to the intercooler and it seems to spin over fine again (but battery is getting low so its on charge to make sure)

So is it possible I sucked something up without the filter and it clogged my intercooler? There is no damage to the impeller of the blower, no pieces of anything chilling anywhere. I haven't looked in the intercooler or removed it but this is where I'm at right now.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Was it ringing out or possible it got water in it? Could have sucked some dirt up and dirtied the maf. Try cleaning the maf with MAF cleaner and see how it does.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Dirty maf would make it spin over slow?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

crazycarlo

Established Member
Oh well the writeup said it spun over fine just that the battery was low so I figured the problem would be the running rough thing.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
That was with the intercooler bypassed. When everything is hooked up as should be, it still doesn't want to spin over.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Give battery a full charge..disconnect batt for 30 min, then reconnect and see how it goes, worth trying to reset it...and clean mad, I'm thinking you sucked up something or the computer got messed up from sucking in some unmetered air..idk

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
It makes me wonder about the computer that it spins fine when drive belt is disconnected. Makes.me agree that something go sucked up and is clogging something somehwere. How do you go about cleaning the intercooler?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Okay, finally got a bit of time to take things apart.

I got the intercooler out and I'm going to take it to work tomorrow to blow it out and vacuum it out as best as possible.

With the belt on and no piping connected the engine spins over fine and tries to fire up immediately. So that says nothing is wrong with any pulleys, engine internals or supercharger correct?

With the piping connected, the engine doesn't want to spin over. I could take a video but everything is torn apart at the moment.

Here is my intercooler setup:

IMAG0225.jpg

From left to right:
1) From fenderwell to supercharger
2) From intake to intercooler
3) From outlet of supercharger to intercooler

All three are unobstructed.

IMAG0226.jpg

What I'm assuming is the culprit. Any ideas on how to clean it best? Can I take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled if need be? I was going to seal off one end and put compressed air on that end and see how much I could feel coming out the other and see if anything fell out?

Am I missing anything, overlooking something? I'm really getting tired of going on dates in a 97 Neon with the paint falling off of it. I'd like my baby back on the road LOL.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread