EPA to Start Aggressively Enforcing Emission Defeat Devices

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Shocking.

Thank you for providing an excellent example of why this is such a terrible idea.

You guys think it is in some way realistic that an entire industry and population of consumers would just accept their thirty/forty/fifty/150K vehicles acting like a trial version of windows?
Not going to answer the question? No one here has said it was a good idea, but a possible one. Has been said multiple times by almost everyone here, the majority of the population would not care as it will be an unseen to them.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Shocking.

Thank you for providing an excellent example of why this is such a terrible idea.

You guys think it is in some way realistic that an entire industry and population of consumers would just accept their thirty/forty/fifty/150K vehicles acting like a trial version of windows?

Did people stop buying diesel trucks? No! So stop.

The fact that there are industries that have implemented this with success proved you wrong yet you want to keep arguing and saying how smart you are.

Facts:
1. The entire auto industry has bowed to the EPA and to CARB so your argument that they will fight back is as laughable as your claim to being an industry expert.

2. Other industries have done this very thing with success. This isn’t windows 3.1 that will crash every few hours. So again, you
being a self proclaimed industry expert is laughable.

3. There are multiple ways this can be accomplished and if implemented will take a trip to the dealer to “unlock” your car. So again, you are not an industry expert.

4. You claim there is no way to ensure connectivity yet the fact that most manufacturers already have connectivity in the form of either satellite or cellular service proves you to again, not be an industry expert.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/4099/more-cars-were-connected-to-cell-networks-than-phones-this-year

5. I believe the auto industry would jump at this since the auto manufacturers have been looking for a way to get more control over maintenance on vehicles.
Carmakers Want To Use Copyright Law To Make Working On Your Car Illegal

I can go on posting articles about the talk around car connectivity, OTA updates, and other things to go along with this conversation. They most likely don’t include you in these conversations but you are not an expert.

Hell, I know of a few guys on this site that can back me on the successful implementation of devices in the industry I work in that will “lock” itself at a set time unless the timer is reset beforehand during maintenance.

No IT equipment was stolen in the making of this comment.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Bottom line is, those systems can be built, they can be overridden, but the EPA can make it law that without a data stream your registration will be blocked.

They would mandate it for all new cars, not outlawing old cars immediately. But it wouldn't take a lifetime at our rate of growth for it to become total law. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if manual driving in itself was outlawed in big city limits in my lifetime.

And not one shot would be fired over it.

here's why I just laugh and shake my head at phrases like the whole "And not one shot would be fired over it." thing.
you guys keep ascribing powers to the EPA that they simply do not have and so far this new list now includes the ability to govern state vehicle registrations? do you even know how our government functions on ANY level?

since I have no doubt the obvious truth I'm alluding to will be totally lost on some of you I will be very clear:
the STATES control vehicle registration.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
here's why I just laugh and shake my head at phrases like the whole "And not one shot would be fired over it." thing.
you guys keep ascribing powers to the EPA that they simply do not have and so far this new list now includes the ability to govern state vehicle registrations? do you even know how our government functions on ANY level?

since I have no doubt the obvious truth I'm alluding to will be totally lost on some of you I will be very clear:
You fail Smog or safety your registration is blocked.

How is this any different? It's an easy sell...

"you no longer have to pay to smog or go for inspection."

"we'll let people know sooner when something is wrong with their car before they pollute, break down or get in an accident because of a mechanical failure"

Don't you want safer, cleaner streets? Are you against protecting the environment? You want people to pollute and not repair their cars?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member

Its sad that you in fact seem to know less about the state of your country and their motives than I do, Trump or no Trump. The world has it's sights set on control and you are not as immune as you think.

Like Deceptive has said time and time again, look at the diesel industry, those are the self proclaimed toughest dudes in the auto industry and they've been walked all over like an ant to a steam roller.

Even look at the state of Ford, they don't give a flyin **** about their own GT500, they are excited about the incredibly gay Mach-E and all things "green." Ford will happily suck 9" of EPA ****, and you know what, people will still happily go sign more 84month loans just cuz shiny and new without any clue or care about emissions requirements.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Not going to answer the question? No one here has said it was a good idea, but a possible one. Has been said multiple times by almost everyone here, the majority of the population would not care as it will be an unseen to them.[/
You fail Smog or safety your registration is blocked.

How is this any different? It's an easy sell...

except for the numerous places that don't do emissions testing. like say... the entire state of florida and the county where I register my vehicles.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Its sad that you in fact seem to know less about the state of your country and their motives than I do, Trump or no Trump. The world has it's sights set on control and you are not as immune as you think.

Unlike in other vastly inferior countries we have this thing in america where the federal government isn't "in charge", as much as psychotic leftists would love it, it is bound by the constitution and the state of my countries is presently such that people have begun to swing AWAY from big government because they see the vastly inadequate waay it handles just about everything.

oh and also the EPA's budget was cut by like 30% in the last few years so good luck getting them to do more stuff with less dollars.

I should have probably just stopped when I declared that you guys just don't know what the hell you're talking about.
this is the automotive equivalent of a doomsday prepper thread except for those of you that are so CUCKED that you can't imagine thwarting a government.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Open source is the direction it will head. It's already pretty much there.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
what was your question?
EPA mandates if, Florida will do it. Florida tries to fight it, they loose Federal Funding and the politicians fighting it get smeared for not wanting safer, cleaner cars.

CARB mandates it, automaker's will do it and Florida will have the option.

You are totally out of touch with the world man.

Places that don't require smog or safety inspections are not doing that because they support freedom or are apposing the EPA and DOT.

They do it because it's financially unreasonable and they leave it to local LEOs to enforce when they see violations.

If you suddenly make it a digital upload tied into renewal... They'll jump for joy and sign up and slap you with a fee if your cars running a CEL for more then 30 days.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
EPA mandates if, Florida will do it. Florida tries to fight it, they loose Federal Funding and the politicians fighting it get smeared for not wanting safer, cleaner cars.

CARB mandates it, automaker's will do it and Florida will have the option.

You are totally out of touch with the world man.

Places that don't require smog or safety inspections are not doing that because they support freedom or are apposing the EPA and DOT.

They do it because it's financially unreasonable and they leave it to local LEOs to enforce when they see violations.

If you suddenly make it a digital upload tied into renewal... They'll jump for joy and sign up and slap you with a fee if your cars running a CEL for more then 30 days.

oh, that? that's bullshit you just fabricated. you should throw in some unicorns.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
oh, that? that's bullshit you just fabricated. you should throw in some unicorns.
It's actually well grounded facts that can be supported by multiple case studies.

You are just trolling at this point.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
What complex software integrations have you created?

I know I'm probably going to regret feeding the beast but to name just a handful; automated ERP, people management, and instant alert systems. Those are the things I've built which have the most to do with the subject at hand.

That is the extent to which I'm willing to share my resume.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
You know what I find funny is they are starting to go after small engine equipment (no more easy carb tuning on weed wackers) yet have not gone after home oil burners. Those are basically Diesel engines burning fuel straight into the air. No urea or def filters, nothing. Would love to see them try and fix that problem. Think that’s when people would go nuts. Yearly oil burner inspections and they could take your house if you fail to comply.

Users who are viewing this thread