Ever traded a car for something simple?

00BlackGT

Established Member
Okay guys, here is my rant.

I bought this 2007 expedition about 7 months ago with 74k miles for a DD. After a trip to new york and random misfires i changed the plugs. TaDa solved. Well for 5k miles when another misfire developed, on just cyl. 6, so i changed that coil. Problem resolved.

Well yesterday, about 5k miles later then my last issue, I was driving to pick my grandparents up from the airport. The damn flashing CEL came on (misfire) and the entire motor shook at anythng above 65. So, because I had time, i went to the parts store and had the code read. Misfire #2, so I changed the coil right there, but 10min down the road, the miss was back. I said **** it and went ahead and did my thing.

This morning i replaced the plug and put di-electric grease on the end of the coil. No misfire when i was running around today and i got into it pretty hard.

What pisses me off as I bought this for a comfortable DD to remain stock and just be reliable. While it hasnt left me stranded, it is annoying the **** outta me.

Am I over reacting by wanting to sell it a get another suv?

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Have you looked into common issues for these/expedition specific forums for advice? What motor does it have?

coposrv

Established Member
What coils are you replacing the stock ones with? I had an f150 and anything other than stock kept failing. The aftermarket coils for the mod motors I found are mostly junk.

00BlackGT

Established Member
its a 5.4 3V, and hesitation/missing is very common, there is even a TSB for it (TSB
07-24-8).

Just mad at it tho lol.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
What coils are you replacing the stock ones with? I had an f150 and anything other than stock kept failing. The aftermarket coils for the mod motors I found are mostly junk.

this...stock coils or park it in the garage

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
What they said.

On a side note that's one of the main reasons I bought a Tahoe.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Okay guys, here is my rant.

I bought this 2007 expedition about 7 months ago with 74k miles for a DD. After a trip to new york and random misfires i changed the plugs. TaDa solved. Well for 5k miles when another misfire developed, on just cyl. 6, so i changed that coil. Problem resolved.

Well yesterday, about 5k miles later then my last issue, I was driving to pick my grandparents up from the airport. The damn flashing CEL came on (misfire) and the entire motor shook at anythng above 65. So, because I had time, i went to the parts store and had the code read. Misfire #2, so I changed the coil right there, but 10min down the road, the miss was back. I said **** it and went ahead and did my thing.

This morning i replaced the plug and put di-electric grease on the end of the coil. No misfire when i was running around today and i got into it pretty hard.

What pisses me off as I bought this for a comfortable DD to remain stock and just be reliable. While it hasnt left me stranded, it is annoying the **** outta me.

Am I over reacting by wanting to sell it a get another suv?

These kinda of things are going to happen with any car. For starters I only use motor craft coils and plugs. Also, instead of the throw parts at it until something sticks mentality try playing musical parts. Lord knows how many coils you may have purchased or continued to purchase that weren't even the problem. If you get a misfire on say #4, because its always ****ing #4 on a F150 mod motor, take #4 plug and move it to #3 and take #4 coil and move it to #2. Drive it and see where the code goes. That way, if it really isn't a secondary ignition miss you didn't waste time and money buying a coil and plug.

mrlrd1

Established Member
These kinda of things are going to happen with any car. For starters I only use motor craft coils and plugs. Also, instead of the throw parts at it until something sticks mentality try playing musical parts. Lord knows how many coils you may have purchased or continued to purchase that weren't even the problem. If you get a misfire on say #4, because its always ****ing #4 on a F150 mod motor, take #4 plug and move it to #3 and take #4 coil and move it to #2. Drive it and see where the code goes. That way, if it really isn't a secondary ignition miss you didn't waste time and money buying a coil and plug.

That could take hundreds of miles and weeks of driving. Anyone familiar with Ford's POS COP systems SHOULD know that. It's not like a well engineered GM product with live misfire datalogging.

slowassgt

Established Member
I work for ford. And alot of time its the plugs on the 3vs Them plugs can cause some major issues I would replace all of the with the newer oem ford plugs. Don't use after market we have seen issues with them also. As far as the coils go there hit or miss on them dropping out the 3v plugs you can't really swap around because usually they break. If your plugs have paint marks on the tips that means ther original. If you have 60 to 70k on them change them because we start swig problems with them at about that mileage

ibleedblue65

Established Member
That could take hundreds of miles and weeks of driving. Anyone familiar with Ford's POS COP systems SHOULD know that. It's not like a well engineered GM product with live misfire datalogging.

Um no. I do this once a week or so at work. And yes you can live datalog misfires on a ford with an ngs or ids. Regardless, it doesn't take hundreds of miles to set a misfire code in a ford. . Go load it up on a hill in high gear and if its secondary, it will show up. you can usually get it within a 10 mile drive or so. Throwing parts at the wall waiting for something to stick is a much better idea. Especially when it turns out not to be secondary ignition and its actually compression or an injector or coil plug, wiring etc.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I work for ford. And alot of time its the plugs on the 3vs Them plugs can cause some major issues I would replace all of the with the newer oem ford plugs. Don't use after market we have seen issues with them also. As far as the coils go there hit or miss on them dropping out the 3v plugs you can't really swap around because usually they break. If your plugs have paint marks on the tips that means ther original. If you have 60 to 70k on them change them because we start swig problems with them at about that mileage

I like your advice.

I would definitely change the plugs just for peace of mind. Sounds like you're going to change the coils, too. Then see what happens. Hopefully this will then be the end of your woes.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I take it you've never used an IDS? :dw:

Um no. I do this once a week or so at work. And yes you can live datalog misfires on a ford with an ngs or ids. Regardless, it doesn't take hundreds of miles to set a misfire code in a ford.

Ford Senior Tech since 2001.

The power balance test is flawed. Has been since the WDS where it was introduced. I've misdiagnosed vehicles more than a few times relying on it.

I've never been a fan of the IDS. Other than an injector flow test, I much prefer my NGS PC.

And yes, I've had dozens, possibly hundreds of vehicles where I could duplicate misfires during a road test on demand (40-50mph, converter locked, 100% load) that refused to set a misfire DTC for hundreds of miles because Ford sets their trigger threshold too high.

Edit: Anyone can RELIABLY read live misfire data on any Mode 1 capable scanner on a GM. Why can't Ford implement this?

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I loathe my harley truck, i had the same issue, it keeps doing it, been on Lightningrodder etc....ready to give it away lmfao

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
just remember, when you buy used you are getting the last person's problem. i also try to buy from someone i know or a small lot i trust.
ive seen spark plugs blown right out of the heads on these suvs.
i bought a dodge 1500 quad cab. i ve had it 5 years now and only has 95000 miles. no problems as of yet.

00BlackGT

Established Member
So, i tried everything I had time for and nothing, so i brought it to the dealership... Hell it needs to be fixed even if I do sell it.

they can easily duplicate the issue so the moved around coil, injector, and even changed the plug, again.

No dice, so they suspected a burnt exhaust valve. Pulled the head, and nothing, didn't see a thing. So they are putting it back together. I assume the problem will persist.... im FED up with it.

Users who are viewing this thread