evo ix vs. 06 gt

bmfgsxr

Established Member
had a little fun with a new model gt yesterday on the way home.. i saw him up ahead through traffic on the two lane road and i was trying to catch up to him without driving like a lunatic. i ended up catching up to him right as it opened up to 4 lanes which was great. i was in the far left, and he was in the next lane over just ahead of me. im slowly getting up to his car (maybe 1-2mph more than he was going) when i saw him downshift and hit it. i was in 5th gear probably going about 80ish or a little more at this point so i didnt downshift and i just kept it in 5th (not a good rpm for me) and he ever so slightly creeped a little gap on me until i built up some rpms then i kept it steady at about 100ish. we were approaching a turn and he came into my lane right in front of me so i went into the right lane (it now turned back into 2 lanes) and started passing him but traffic was coming up so we both backed off. i ducked back in behind him since the left lane was moving faster and as soon as the car in the left got out of the way he hit it again. this time i was in fourth and i ran up on him pretty good. i saw him look in his rear view and he must have let off a little when he saw me gaining on him in an effort to not take a loss (in a way). then he pulled into the right lane and i passed him slowly. i looked over to give a thumbs up and see if he wanted to play anymore but he didnt look over. he was an older guy probably around 50. i went up just a little and got into the right lane and slowed down, put it in 4th and waited for him to try and get a clean run but he didnt slow down, so i just nailed it and went on my way. i did put down my window and give a thumbs up and he returned it.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I'm not trying to start a flame war but stock vs stock a EVO 9 is stronger than a '05+ GT. I've seen a time of 12.9 at 106 from a stock EVO 9 MR. The best I've seen from a stock GT is 13.4 which is not bad. One thing I do know is with just a tune and gears the 300 hp GT really wakes up.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ Lol so does the Evo with just a tune :) I raced an 05 when I had my Evo, but I had all the bolt ons and cams,and he looked stock. I pulled him pretty hard.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
from a dig a stock IX will take down a 05 GT. Roll might be different.

throw mods into the mix and we have two different ball games.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
yeah, these were both stock cars. im stock, and his car looked stock with stock exhaust and all. i would imagine id get him from a dig no problem. from a roll it was close when i left it in 5th at fairly low rpms. although when we both hit it and i was in a good spot in 4th i ran him down pretty good. with 286hp crank for the evo and 300hp crank for the mustang with the weight advantage the evo has it seems completely logical to me.. the 286hp in the evo ix usually shows up to be about 255awhp on a dynojet. with a full exhaust, boost controller and a tune you can see 330awhp which is good for 12.0's and about 115mph in the 1/4.

snake134

yea i just saw an older guy in an sti just the other day....don't know what they're doin in those cars :shrug:

:D

bmfgsxr

Established Member
thanks.. after messing around with a cayman S yesterday i have determined that when i ran the mustang i was probably doing closer to 70/75 max. not that it is a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

fusionchicken

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
thanks.. after messing around with a cayman S yesterday i have determined that when i ran the mustang i was probably doing closer to 70/75 max. not that it is a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

and how did the cayman S turn out for ya? :D

yea i hate it when i have to punch it in 5th at 75-80mph...no balls. so i've mastered the art of instant downshift (aka. anticipation at all times) so i won't have to worry about it :D

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
My GF has an 05 STi and I am currently beating her pretty easily. I know part of it is driver mod, but I have pulled her from a roll pretty hard also, it's usually about a car per gear for me.

When we race I usually give her the hit, and have caught her by the end of the first gear I'm in, and am passing her in the second gear.

Of course she's stock, and I'm not.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
fusionchicken said:
and how did the cayman S turn out for ya? :D

yea i hate it when i have to punch it in 5th at 75-80mph...no balls. so i've mastered the art of instant downshift (aka. anticipation at all times) so i won't have to worry about it :D

we didnt really get a clean run, more so just getting through the curves rather quickly. it was fun though.

but i did get to have some better fun with a carrera this morning. but he caught me sleeping pretty bad. we were following each other at around 75/80 ish down the highway, and it wasnt very crowded. out of the blue he nails it, so i hit it too. he gapped me pretty good as i was pretty much sleeping, but we ran it up pretty high. i dont know what those cars are good for but i started gaining on him, and then passed him at about 150.. but i think he let off, so it certainly isnt a kill.

fusionchicken

Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
we didnt really get a clean run, more so just getting through the curves rather quickly. it was fun though.

but i did get to have some better fun with a carrera this morning. but he caught me sleeping pretty bad. we were following each other at around 75/80 ish down the highway, and it wasnt very crowded. out of the blue he nails it, so i hit it too. he gapped me pretty good as i was pretty much sleeping, but we ran it up pretty high. i dont know what those cars are good for but i started gaining on him, and then passed him at about 150.. but i think he let off, so it certainly isnt a kill.

yea i hate it when that happens....similar thing happened to me with a 997 carrera S...i have bolt-on's and tune though

BM1

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I'm not trying to start a flame war but stock vs stock a EVO 9 is stronger than a '05+ GT.

The only time I'd have my money on a stock Evo 9 against a stock 3V GT is from a dig so I'd say that's a bit of a blanket statement.

Last edited:

LAcop124

Established Member
I'd like to see that race with two good drivers from a dig and a roll. bet it would be close or mustang would edge em out. the evo definately has the weight advantage not to mention the awd. evo has a power adder though, technically isn't stock if u ask me. i'm a domestic car guy but those evo's amaze me with the horsepower they get from those 4 cyl motors.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
The only time I'd have my money on a stock Evo 9 against a stock 3V GT is from a dig so I'd say that's a bit of a blanket statement.

I think it should be a damn good race. 06 EVO IX's trap 104-106mph BONE STOCK and the 05-06 GT 5spd coupes are right around the same MPH. From a roll it should be damn close.

BM1

Established Member
SRT-4 Turbo 7 said:
I think it should be a damn good race. 06 EVO IX's trap 104-106mph BONE STOCK and the 05-06 GT 5spd coupes are right around the same MPH. From a roll it should be damn close.

I'm sure it would, but if I had to bet one way or another, it'd be on the GT. AWD and less horsepower will start to really catch up with the Evo as the speeds increase.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
LAcop124 said:
I'd like to see that race with two good drivers from a dig and a roll. bet it would be close or mustang would edge em out. the evo definately has the weight advantage not to mention the awd. evo has a power adder though, technically isn't stock if u ask me. i'm a domestic car guy but those evo's amaze me with the horsepower they get from those 4 cyl motors.

a power adder from the factory is as stock as stock can be.. that would be like asking the guy in the mustang to run on 4cyl. ;) factory installed is factory installed.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
I'm sure it would, but if I had to bet one way or another, it'd be on the GT. AWD and less horsepower will start to really catch up with the Evo as the speeds increase.

awhp is awhp. what ever it puts to the ground is what it puts to the ground no matter how it puts it there fwhp, rwhp,awhp..

keep in mind the gt has a claimed 14hp advantage. the evo ix is known to be mildly underrated since it puts about 255awhp to the ground. not sure what the gt puts down to the ground, but being that it is a fair bit heavier that will always have an effect regardless of speeds.. and dont forget aerodynamics.. i dont think either car is ranked high in that dept. id like to find out what drag coefficient each car has.

Users who are viewing this thread