Expected heat index of 105*-110* for Sunday's Car Show

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
The heat is why I moved to Colorado. During the summer, you can't drag me off my 7,000' high city. My mom lives in blue ridge area and she was asking if I was having a heatwave too. I look at my 65 degree outdoor temp and told her I don't have heatwaves anymore.
Got that shovel ready? Winter is coming.

Blown 89

Established Member
**** that. I wouldn’t go.

107 here yesterday. I swear the sun hitting you here just boils your skin more than other places I’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
It actually does. The sun here, and probably there, has a greater concentration of UV rays hitting a single area. Due to the tilt of the Earth the UV rays glance across other states at and angle and are dissipated longer in the atmosphere which results in a lower concentration of UV exposure in a measured area.

That's why Arizonans roll their eyes the "heat index" comparisons. The UV rays kick up the heat quite a bit and anything in the sun radiates it back to you. For reference, I left the windshield cover off my car last year when it was 118 and measured the temperature of my steering wheel, it was 194.7* Arizonans will tell you that you can fry an egg on the sidewalk which isn't true, but put frying pan and some oil on the sidewalk in the sun and it absolutely will. The sun can **** right off in the summer.

MG0h3

Established Member
Man, you're not kidding. I grew up here so I was used to it. I ended up going to basic training here starting in July. I was good. But the guys from up north. Damn, their ears would blister really bad from the sun.

So, the sun literally boiled their skin. Crazy...

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I grew up on the coast near the Canadian border. Plus I’m part ginger.

Midnight shift is my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
It actually does. The sun here, and probably there, has a greater concentration of UV rays hitting a single area. Due to the tilt of the Earth the UV rays glance across other states at and angle and are dissipated longer in the atmosphere which results in a lower concentration of UV exposure in a measured area.

That's why Arizonans roll their eyes the "heat index" comparisons. The UV rays kick up the heat quite a bit and anything in the sun radiates it back to you. For reference, I left the windshield cover off my car last year when it was 118 and measured the temperature of my steering wheel, it was 194.7* Arizonans will tell you that you can fry an egg on the sidewalk which isn't true, but put frying pan and some oil on the sidewalk in the sun and it absolutely will. The sun can **** right off in the summer.

For the last decade or so I’m usually on TDY April-Oct and on mids.

First time I’ve really been “home” during summer and on days.

I just spent $365 having all the windows tinted, including the windshield, on my $1300 shitbox.

It’s that bad lol.

Blown 89

Established Member
For the last decade or so I’m usually on TDY April-Oct and on mids.

First time I’ve really been “home” during summer and on days.

I just spent $365 having all the windows tinted, including the windshield, on my $1300 shitbox.

It’s that bad lol.

My Volt has ceramic tint on everything but the windshield. I didn't realize clear ceramic tinting was a thing until recently so I'll be getting all the cars done in a few weeks.

IA Shelby

Established Member

I have been in AZ in scorching hot temps. Still would take it over 95 degree day with 90% humidity.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those temps plus blacktop = BRUTAL conditions. Especially to those both older and who haven't experienced conditions like that. A canopy to at least block the sun will help a tad, but you can't do much to block the heat radiating from the blacktop. And drink lots of water. Be safe!

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Those temps plus blacktop = BRUTAL conditions. Especially to those both older and who haven't experienced conditions like that. A canopy to at least block the sun will help a tad, but you can't do much to block the heat radiating from the blacktop. And drink lots of water. Be safe!
Thanks Bob, I'll be prepared for sure, even though............

284128418_5223651654380129_4824062050629686320_n.jpg

OX1

Established Member
lol, well since it wasn't as hot as the Main Machinery Spaces on an Aircraft Carrier, I didn't have a problem with it.

God bless you guys who have (had) to deal with that day to day. Only had to deal with it a couple times, here and there.

I'm only a CIV, worked in-service engineering on CAT hydraulics (out of Lakehurst), in late 80's, early 90's. (currently doing "stuff" on small boys).

Users who are viewing this thread