Factory caged pulley failure

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
I figured I would post this since there seems to be an ongoing problem.
I just installed a fresh shortblock in my car,after all was completed,took itout for a little test drive,never even got into boost and the engine stalled,restarted it and the battery was acting low,starter was dragging,it started,took it back to the shop and discovered that the caged pulley had overtightened on the mandrel and was binding the motor.I pulled the assy. off, relocktited the threads and reinstalled. Never even got it out of the bay and it happened again. This time I tigged the mandrel in place with 3 passes around the pulley,so far so good,have put 100 miles on it and all is well.
My recomendation,is to either go ahead and weld it or put a witness mark on it and watch it like a hawk.It could cause thrust bearing issues if not caught

Tractionless1

Established Member
Can you cite the ongoing problems? I have zilch nor have read of this issue in the past. The only issue I've seen is failure of the crummy Chinese bearings that were employed.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
All factory installation parts.
What I mean by overtightened is,the actual threaded portion of the mandrel,that the allen hex is in,was protruding through the front of the pulley by over .250,this caused the front bearing housing that is in the cage,and loaded it against the timing cover.
No pics of the welding
Tractionless,here is one of them
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...uys-come-on-in&highlight=caged+pulley+failure

Users who are viewing this thread