Failure to stay right ticket.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
You do realize that almost 75% of the revenue received from citations goes back towards road improvement, safety upgrades, etc right? I guess that MBA still wont give you inside knowledge so that you can actually have a clue what your talking about. PD's only receive about 5% of the revenue generated from tickets.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I love it when people talk out of their asses about all the "revenue" police departments generate.

Have you actually looked at the books for city police departments to see where ticket funds actually go? I highly doubt you have, but I have done the research.

Let's look at the city of Austin. The cost to run the police department is $216 million, and the cost to run the municipal courts which oversee traffic cases was $11 million. For the FY09, the city had $8.8 million in traffic fines. This is out of a city budget of over $2 billion. That's .33% of the entire city budget. So, the "revenue" generated by traffic ticket's doesn't even cover the cost to run the administration of the departments tasked with writing them. Yeah. It's obviously a revenue issue.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/budget/09-10/downloads/Exe Final Draft.pdf

Taken directly from the city budget:

So, for FY10, we have $10 mil in traffic citations in a budget of $2.64 billion. That's .38% of the entire budget for the city.

They even provided graphs in the budget for those that have trouble looking at numbers. While the graph shows revenue for fines and fees to be 4% of the budget, there are $60 mil in other fines/fees included in the budget, but since we're talking about traffic citations, those don't count.

austinbudget.jpg

Look at any other city and the breakdown will be similar.

:lol: @ Walmart50

Pwned :kaboom:

Walmart50

Established Member
OK i am back in...

Thanks for inviting me back xsouthergun89x

thanks also for admitting that the tickets produce revenue.

If the money didnt come from tickets to fix the highways, make safety upgrades, etc... where would it come from?
Whoa.. it wouldnt be there would it.. higher taxes anyone? more fees? Money that would have gone to fix the roads, can now go to??? law enforcement budgets!!! woohoo!!

FordSVTFan..as for quoting NY statutes.. My bad.. i had just googled NJ Failure to Yield tickets.. and that was what popped up.. there is still nothing you have said to justify a failure to stay right ticket. The NJ statute as written is outdated.. there should at least be something in it regarding the driver impeding the flow of traffic, etc. Its just common sense that if you are traveling the maximum allowed speed limit that you should not be impeding traffic flow.

If he was blocking emergency traffic, thats a whole different statute.

And for Austin, Tx. THANK you.. 10 Million dollars.. that can pay 200 cops $50k each, but we all know they dont make that kind of money.

Here is some further reading for you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/virg...raise-revenue-for-the-state-government-2010-3

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbRFmlVgXZEE-3udJsbcVaLocbUOwA

(especially look at the 1st paragraph These enforcement efforts also generate a
considerable amount of revenue. In 1998, 1.9 million new traffic-related civil infraction
filings were reported statewide to the State Court Administrative Office.1 While no
statewide data are available as to the exact amount of revenue generated by these
citations, a conservative estimate would be $90-$120 million.)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490629,00.html

UHH OH!!! are we getting the point that these fines are generating Revenue yet???

here are a couple more..

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2009/10/proposed-austin-traffic-ordinances-hype.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-truth-about-speeding-tickets-and-the-recession/

and i could go ON AND ON AND ON..

Being a Police officer, of COURSE you are going to want to give fines, otherwise, you are going to be fired due to lack of funds in the budget..... Plain and Simple..

All of this fund raising is what causes animosity between the general population and the police.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
And for Austin, Tx. THANK you.. 10 Million dollars.. that can pay 200 cops $50k each, but we all know they dont make that kind of money.

That MBA didn't cover areas of economics and business, eh? 200 cops at 50k salary does NOT equal 10 million.

Being a Police officer, of COURSE you are going to want to give fines, otherwise, you are going to be fired due to lack of funds in the budget..... Plain and Simple..

You haven't a clue about what it's like being an LEO or what's involved.

All of this fund raising is what causes animosity between the general population and the police.

Yet the vast majority of the motoring public go years, years and years without receiving any citations. How can that be? That doesn't fit your conspiracy theory.

txyaloo

Established Member

Here is some further reading for you.

Virginia Hands Out 6996 Traffic Tickets In One Weekend In An Effort To Raise Revenue For The State Government

Powered by Google Docs

(especially look at the 1st paragraph These enforcement efforts also generate a
considerable amount of revenue. In 1998, 1.9 million new traffic-related civil infraction
filings were reported statewide to the State Court Administrative Office.1 While no
statewide data are available as to the exact amount of revenue generated by these
citations, a conservative estimate would be $90-$120 million.)

Speeding, Parking Tickets on Rise as Government Revenue Source - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

UHH OH!!! are we getting the point that these fines are generating Revenue yet???

here are a couple more..

Grits for Breakfast: Proposed Austin traffic ordinances hype fear, generate revenue, without improving safety

The Truth About Speeding Tickets and the Recession | The Truth About Cars

and i could go ON AND ON AND ON..

In the strictest term, yes, they are generating revenue, but if it were a business, police departments would be operating at a loss. The "revenue" they generate doesn't cover the costs of the department or the court system that adjudicates the citations.

As for what an officer in Austin, TX makes. After one year, they make $60,000. After two years, they make $68,000. That's quite a bit more than the $50,000 you said they don't make.

I know plenty of officers that write warnings versus tickets, and I've received a warning 98% of the times I've been stopped by an officer. If it were all about revenue, I would have received a ticket 100% of the time.

You would think with an MBA you would be smart enough to go look at the cities books yourself. Obviously that isn't the case. Instead you spew mindless uneducated cop hating drivel. You're too blinded by your hatred of law enforcement to actually see where ticket funds go.

Walmart50

Established Member
Traffic tickets, "DUI" checkpoints (where cops write tickets for just about everything but DUI.. for example we had 450 tickets given in my area during a DUI checkpoint a couple months ago... 1 was for DUI, the rest were for petty crap), Unmarked cars as traffic units, code enforcement, those are the things that fuel my hatred for police.

Outdated and too many laws on the books fuel my outrage with the government.

Its very evident that a marked car will remind drivers to watch their speed, etc... unmarked units are just there to give tickets.. its gestapo-ish. Especially when those cars happen to be, cobras, ricers, low riders, etc...

Officers in Austin need a paycut then and get the city budget under control.. about 2000 officers/staff??? making 65k a year each? Someone do the math for me on that one and compare it to the city of austin budget that we saw posted previously since my MBA doesnt let me do the math. lol...

Last edited:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Here's a hint... It takes alot more than 50k for a city to pay someone a 50k salary. Get it yet?

I realize there are benefits and other expenses, but I was referring to straight salary, and basic math.

no biggie though, back on topic please.

MFE

Established Member
Traffic tickets, "DUI" checkpoints (where cops write tickets for just about everything but DUI.. for example we had 450 tickets given in my area during a DUI checkpoint a couple months ago... 1 was for DUI, the rest were for petty crap), Unmarked cars as traffic units, code enforcement, those are the things that fuel my hatred for police.

Its very evident that a marked car will remind drivers to watch their speed, etc... unmarked units are just there to give tickets.. its gestapo-ish. Especially when those cars happen to be, cobras, ricers, low riders, etc...

Officers in Austin need a paycut then and get the city budget under control.. about 2000 officers/staff??? making 65k a year each? Someone do the math for me on that one and compare it to the city of austin budget that we saw posted previously since my MBA doesnt let me do the math. lol...

Here we are at last, took a long time to get here, but here we are. A choad who has a major problem with authority? Check!

Iman01

Established Member

If you don't like the system, change it. You are empowered and some would say obligated to "fix" problems you see in OUR government.

The problem we have here is that you do lack some substantial understanding about the real world... An MBA is a pseudo degree. It does not teach you any real skill and does not help you become a more productive human being. And as you continue to make definitive declarations about economics you don't fully comprehend I doubt you even have an MBA. For example the wages made by an officer, as well as the actual realized cost of employing that employee... you should know those things as fluently as most people know to unzip before they pee.

You have to pay fines for breaking laws. It seems the point you are trying to make is that they are taking something from you that has value and that is the ulterior motive. What would you suggest we should take from each other to force compliance with what we feel are normal and acceptable guidelines (laws)?

Speed limits change for lots and lots of reasons... accident statistics, traffic flow, merging situations, and citizen complaints to name a few. Or maybe there was a sale on 45MPH signs so they just threw some up to mess with you...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Id love to see your PAGES of history....you dont have A CLUE what your talking about.....hahaha....keep on spilling it though by all means. Its entertaining

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FordSVTFan..as for quoting NY statutes.. My bad.. i had just googled NJ Failure to Yield tickets.. and that was what popped up.. there is still nothing you have said to justify a failure to stay right ticket. The NJ statute as written is outdated.. there should at least be something in it regarding the driver impeding the flow of traffic, etc. Its just common sense that if you are traveling the maximum allowed speed limit that you should not be impeding traffic flow.

Your problem is you think google is a good source of accurate information.

You must be amazing in a pool, because your backstroke is fast.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
orly?

then what does 200 times 50,000 equal?

Let me google that for you

just my .02 cents.

You should hold on to your two cents, you need it.

A dept can't hire 200 cops at $50K a piece and have it only cost $10M. There are about another $15 - $20K in expenses and benefits per year/per officer.

But then again you are great about posting without knowing the facts of the situation. :eek:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
If you were in the right don't pay it, do the time, make a stand.

I would just pay it, those cells suck. Of course I'd raise hell in the courtroom first just to piss them off.

Last edited:

Walmart50

Established Member
OMG lol i just found some funny "info" using the all powerful Google.. LMFAO

Just either youtube FordSVTFan or google it.. its freaking nuts....I said what what..

But in all seriousness..

Bwahahaha i cant stay serious after watching that video. nevermind..

Users who are viewing this thread