Faster Nissan GTR or Shelby GT500

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I find the GTR about as appealing as a Camry. No soul, no style, and boring.

Now, I've never driven one, but from seeing/hearing a few in person and reading the numbers they can produce, I think that MIGHT be a little harsh :D
-J

2nd2none

Established Member
I love the GTR. I'm still happy with my 2010 GT500 but I would've gotten the GTR back than had they been the same price. Also heard stories back than that the maintenance costs on the GTR were crazy high.

BOD89LX

Established Member
GTR is faster stock to stock I have ran 11.1@131 with my 13 GT500 with bolt on's and ran 11.0@125 with 13 GTR bone stock and dont feel the need to mod it. Also I will add the GTR is not boring to drive anybody who thinks so needs to drive one a few times and they will change there mind.

Last edited:

Paul1138

Established Member
At Limerock last week, there were a bunch of GT-R's. All silver except for a black edition. Great track cars. Only one 13 GT500. Had a blast.

phil123

Established Member
I would love to have a GTR as well as my 13 Shelby but it seems to me the cars are in different categories. The GTR costs significantly more and has much higher maintenance costs. The Shelby has a much more useable trunk and back seats making it a suitable DD and not just a toy. We have done grocery and Costco shopping in the Shelby with plenty of room for cargo, don't think that will happen in a GTR. The Shelby is probably a more comfortable cruiser once again making it more suitable for a DD. With equal drivers the GTR is going to be a much better road car and faster out of a dig. For brute power the Shelby is going to pull ahead on a roll. All depends what your budget is and your priorities are.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I find the GTR about as appealing as a Camry. No soul, no style, and boring.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal either. Then again, I don't care for the ugly brick of a caddy everyone raves about so much and I can't stand the obnoxious sound of a Viper either, so what do I know. :lol:

Face76

Established Member
Just another what if thread. If I wanted a 100k car, I would get a GT-R or a used ZR1 no questions asked. Those cars are very different than a Shelby. Buying a Shelby and keeping the extra $35k won't make me feel any better. Different cars, prices and experiences.

Njtony

Established Member
I want a rematch from a dig. I think it will go from a slaughter down to a mild butchering now that I've got some traction.

You are somewhat correct.
From a dig it's a slaughter with a DBA car against a '13-'14 GT500. From a roll, the GT500's move out very hard. They are virtually equal to a C6 Z06 (assuming you get the car to hook in 2nd gear). I've posted my Vbox logs here and am listed on the 6speedonline list...my black '13 ran a 7.89 60-130. A '12-'14 GT-R will run a low-mid 9-second 60-130. From a roll against a '13, my '13 GT-R didn't fare so well. From a dig, it was ugly.
[youtube_browser]NEKMO-EfkXk[/youtube_browser]
Also, the GT-R's have a very good coefficient of drag, note the following:
2009-2011 GT-R (there were very minor improvements to the DBA/'12 and up cars)
Cd 0.27
Frontal area 2.09 meters^2
CdA = 0.564

2007 Lamborghini Gallardo
Cd 0.34
Frontal area 1.95 meters^2
CdA = 0.663

2009-2011 GT-R
Cd 0.27
Frontal area 2.09 meters^2
CdA = 0.564

2011 Turbo and Turbo S Coupe
Cd 0.31
Frontal area 2.05 meters^2
CdA = 0.635

C6 Z06
Cd 0.34
Frontal area 2.07 meters^2
CdA = 0.703

Veyron
Cd 0.36
Frontal area 2.07 meters^2
CdA = 0.745

And also, I'm very skeptical of these claims of '13/'14 GT-R's running 127-128 mph trap speeds. I suspect at the very least, there are timing errors at the track. When compared to my passes and other stock '13's they run similiar to the 1/8th, cover the next 660' in very comparible intervals, but trap 3-4 mph faster. That's not happening in a stock car.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Definitely listen to Snorman, very lucky guy to have both.
I love all high HP rides, just partial to Mustangs as that's where I come from.

Snor---let's hear what makes you choose the keys of one vs. the other on any given day? i.e.--what situation do you prefer one over the other--drag strip, road course, nice evening out with the lady?
Just curious as you have a very unique perspective, I'm sure there's not too many guys out there with both, both with mods and both driven competently on track.
Lucky dog. :)
-J
The GT-R is just a more hard-edged and focused car. It's louder inside, more high-strung, the ride is far more controlled and sporty and it's clearly a purpose-built car. By comparison, the GT500 is quiet (cabin noise), more lazy and generally a more relaxing car to drive. I take the cars anywhere and really, have drag raced the heck out of both the GT-R and the GT500. I've tracked my GT500 and will be running it again at Sebring in June. My decision to take that car to Daytona over the GT-R was twofold...the GT-R is relatively well-modified at this point (making 705 awhp on an AWD Mustang Dyno) and I thought the GT500 would be the more engaging car on the track. After riding in my buddy's car at Daytona (who is now competing in OLOA this week), I think the GT-R would be just as engaging...just with a paddle-shifted DCT.

Typically the wife and I will take the GT-R out when we go every other weekend...once or twice we've taken the black GT500. Anybody who thinks the GT-R has "no soul" and is "boring" probably has never driven one and is just regurgitating what they've heard.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I would love to have a GTR as well as my 13 Shelby but it seems to me the cars are in different categories. The GTR costs significantly more and has much higher maintenance costs. The Shelby has a much more useable trunk and back seats making it a suitable DD and not just a toy. We have done grocery and Costco shopping in the Shelby with plenty of room for cargo, don't think that will happen in a GTR. The Shelby is probably a more comfortable cruiser once again making it more suitable for a DD. With equal drivers the GTR is going to be a much better road car and faster out of a dig. For brute power the Shelby is going to pull ahead on a roll. All depends what your budget is and your priorities are.
I would say the back seats in the GT-R are only marginally smaller than in a Mustang and the trunk is bigger. The trunk is at least more usable by way of being deeper and not having an intrusive Shaker Subwoofer (if the GT500 is so equipped).
S.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Anybody who thinks the GT-R has "no soul" and is "boring" probably has never driven one and is just regurgitating what they've heard.
S.

It's no different than any other preference in life. If there wern't differing opinions we'd all be married to Stepford Wives. :lol:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I 2nd that. I have driven a GTR extensively (traded my boss the GT500 for his 13 GTR black series for a week). IMHO, the GTR is steril and has no soul, and it makes me a much better driver than I am. Consequently my boss has put his GTR for sale and has a '14 GT500 ordered.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd like to drive one, just to have something to compare to. Then again, a ZL1 would be entertaining as well.

There's a difference though between wanting to drive and wanting to own.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
I actually work for Nissan. I drive a 11 GT500.

I believe both cars are worth every dollar... its just cheaper to get the GT500 ahead of the pack if you are going to mod... significantly cheaper.

I believe the vehicle itself will take less abuse then a GT500 being that its AWD, the key thing that does bother me although... There is a black box in the car, and if u pop the transmission with VDC/Traction Control off, well that black box records it and Nissan WILL void the warranty... and 25?30,000 grand for a new transmission is CRAZY.

I mean we have cars like the Z06 that come with track use warranty, and cost less, we have the GT500 that loves to have its TC off, but after throwing 110+ grand on a black edition GTR... you don't even have the ability to play with it to its fullest extent without worrying about voided warranty, unforeseen repairs...

Also the GTR has a very unique cliental, sure most of the buyers are well off, but not all of them consider maintenance costs. A lot of them I find sell them after breaking the first time... GT500 owners on the other hand upgrade and are almost happy they have an excuse to upgrade... WAY cheaper and less scary on the pocket then a GTR.

If I had a choice, I would buy a GT500, the sound... the roar... the SC whine... the cobra emblem that makes me want to hump my car, and well yeah its been a good purchase :) Yes I am married.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
GTR will be faster because its a car based on a video game and anybody that knows how to press buttons a specific way will be fast in a GTR. GT500 and any other 6 speed manual transmission car for that matter will rely on the ability of the driver to be fast. It's easier to be faster in the GTR than in a GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread