Faster Nissan GTR or Shelby GT500

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
curious, but which ones would be inaccurate?
I am going by what I see at work...

Transmission does not cost 25-30k like you said.

Quick google search.
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=2765&Car_Type=NISGTR

Mainatence is just like any other car. Beat the crap out of it and will need more mainatence. Your comparing a 60k mustang to 90-100k GTR. Yes parts cost more and so did the initial investment to buy the car.

GTR will beat GT500 off the line stock for stock. Might even edge it out in the 1/4 mile stock for stock. Modified it's any body's game.

TTlambo

Established Member
I have owed both and I think snorman would agree? The GTR is obviously the choice if you want the latest in tech. and need a car that can pretty much drive itself on a track, which for "me" is slightly boring. Where as if you are a little old school as I am and like the feel of raw horsepower that you have to control completely on your own then the GT500 is for you!

As for stock on stock drag strip it depends on the year of GTR, mine was a 2010 and 11.5 was my best time.
I can't remember my best time with my GT500 stock but I saw Snorman ran a 11.2 with his GT500 bone stock if I'm not mistaken?

ThomasL

Established Member
Something sexy about a GTR to me though. I know a lot of you feel the opposite but seeing that thing leave from a dig is so sweet. I dunno. Totally different than my Shelby. Love em both. Wouldnt mind owning a GTR one day.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
the transmission in the US on a 2013 GTR, is about 20,000...
Correct me if I am wrong, and in Canada at my dealership, there has been bills of close to 30,000.

Not surprising, up north, prices go north too... lame

And I did dig further into z06s breaking at the track, apparently its not exactly what GM says? Few people with blown motors at the track getting the cold shoulder from their dealerships. Although I have heard almost POSITIVE that there is some sort of reliance with a z06 breaking at the track when it comes to warranty.

Anyway, this thread is old, but the GTR vs GT500 is always going to a nice debate, don't feel like I am in a japanese piranha torture tank for being inaccurate.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong, and in Canada at my dealership, there has been bills of close to 30,000.

And I did dig further into z06s breaking at the track, apparently its not exactly what GM says? Few people with blown motors at the track getting the cold shoulder from their dealerships. Although I have heard almost POSITIVE that there is some sort of reliance with a z06 breaking at the track when it comes to warranty.

Anyway, this thread is old, but the GTR vs GT500 is always going to a nice debate, don't feel like I am in a japanese piranha torture tank for being inaccurate.

The C6 Z06s had a major flaw in motor design that would cause valves to drop, grenading the motor. The reason why I sold mine and have vowed to avoid Chevys as much as possible. In my opinion, if a stock vehicle cannot be warranteed when used for the purposes intended and advertised by the manufacturer, it is false advertisement. JMO.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Right before I bought my 13 GT500 I almost bought a 2012 GTR, but they wanted another 10k over the GT500 and it had 14k miles on it, the GT500 was brand new and is honestly just as much fun to drive. I definitely think I made the right choice.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member

This is not the place to discuss the GT-R, particularly in a thread that's over a year old, but...
1.) You never indicated Canadian dollars...Nissan is at ~$20k for a replacement GR6, R&R per based on hours is ~$1k. Most people wouldn't put a new GR6 in their GT-R if it broke outside of warranty considering the myriad options for rebuilds that are stronger than factory.
2.) There is no reason to turn VDC off in a DBA car. None. LC won't enable if VDC is off and the car is NO faster on track with VDC off. Simply put, there's no reason to do it. Furthermore, Nissan doesn't automatically void warranties when VDC has been disabled. That's an internet rumor, and dates back to the MY09 LC1 fiasco.
3.) Maintenance requirements are completely overstated and exaggerated.
4.) The cars are as durable and tough as a GT500. Period. Each has weak points.
5.) I seriously doubt "a lot of" GT-R owners sell after their first warranty claim or issue with the car. Seriously doubt it. I know lots of GT-R owners and I know of ONE who sold his car very shortly after buying it, then wrecking it, then breaking it.

Are you the Certified GT-R Tech at your Nissan store?
S.

Users who are viewing this thread