Fays2 Watts link

CPRsm

^ it's amazing what some parts will. This or even a panhard makes a big difference on leaf cars. And those are laterally located pretty well as is and it's a big difference.

Bulldogger

Established Member
great info,thx guys...now "Bulldogger" got me thinking with "I will never drive a mustang again with a panhard bar setup." comment...

In all fairness I also own a z06, and I hated the way the mustang handles, so I may be more critical then most. That being said the watts link makes the car for me alot more enjoyable. On take off the ass squats and it hooks pretty damn good on the factory tires, going fast over rough road surfaces I no longer have that oh sh*t feeling. Puts the car much more on par with the vet.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You know the aluminum setup is only 2lbs lighter then the steel. Being it costs $4-500 bucks more, it would be cheaper to just skip lunch that day to save the whopping two pounds:D

I like either one, steel or alloy. Yes 2 pounds is not much difference I agree, and if the alloy were to be bought during a SPP sale the cost difference could be narrowed to $650 regular price steel vs. $900 or so sale price alloy for a difference of approx. $250.

There is also a visual value of the bright finish that I like. I also thought that it was cool that SPP had the Shelby logo engraved instead of just providing stickers with the Watts Link product. It is just an added/unique touch.

0033-1.jpg

I had the choice of Black or Red finish in steel, or the alloy bar, I waited for a SPP sale and bought the alloy, not because it was that much lighter, or because it performed better, but instead just because I liked its look, but there is nothing the matter with the steel unit. :thumbsup:

Now if only I make the time to install it!!

BTW - What diff. cover are you using? I know the regular FRPP girdle (I think it is the G1) does not clear, but the low profile girdle (G2) does if you turn the propeller bolt around the other way...............I found an original KR cover and am planning on using it.

R

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Established Member
RobertM,
I'm using the factory differential cover. My z-link face's inward because outward it didn't clear the spare tire stamping in the trunk if I remember correctly. Aluminum does have that bling factor, but I'm not thrilled that it looks to be a three piece set up with the ends bolted on verse the steel being one piece.

mustang loco

Established Member
In all fairness I also own a z06, and I hated the way the mustang handles, so I may be more critical then most. That being said the watts link makes the car for me alot more enjoyable. On take off the ass squats and it hooks pretty damn good on the factory tires, going fast over rough road surfaces I no longer have that oh sh*t feeling. Puts the car much more on par with the vet.

totally understand you being more critical then most when driving the Z then the mustang...do appreciate your opinion on the watts "overall" driving impressions and purpose!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
RobertM,
I'm using the factory differential cover. My z-link face's inward because outward it didn't clear the spare tire stamping in the trunk if I remember correctly. Aluminum does have that bling factor, but I'm not thrilled that it looks to be a three piece set up with the ends bolted on verse the steel being one piece.

The alum. Fays uses a different bolt in the middle. I received the regular bolt that comes with the steel unit and had to get SPP to send me a different one. One of the guys on the TS Super Snake forum is who has test fitted the different covers to see what fits the Fays and what does not.

I too am interested in your feedback. I know how the car feels, and it would be nice to refine that feel.

R

Last edited:

adidasUNT8

Established Member
Yes, that is the Griggs Rear Anti-Roll Bar and it will only work on a Griggs Chassis and the changes in the Griggs Watts Link negate the OEM Sway bar or the need for it. The Anti-Roll bar is more of a fine tuning point and I've got a number of customers running open track without the anti-roll bar.

Sale.........hmmmmm

Sale! Sale! Sale!

NuclearPower

Established Member
Great thread guys, others with the Watts link please post your driving impressions and what setting you have it on.

I have been debating this upgrade since I bought the car, I also came from a Corvette (non Z06 - had to trade because not comfortable with daughter in front) and did not like the ass end oh shit wiggle...These posts have convinced me that I MUST do this upgrade.

THANKS!!!:rockon:

chuckstang

Established Member
yup watts link completely changes this car and for the better!

Just don't do any donuts if you have the Saleen unit! LOL

NuclearPower

Established Member
So i finally had Van at Revan Racing order the Shelby Fays2 Watts link. It is now a cool blue color rather than red. Can't wait for it to get mounted on the car! I will let you guys know how things go! Also ordered the BMR lowering springs...Can't wait for the car to get slammed!

NuclearPower

Established Member
Need Help

So I just finished installing the Shelby Fays 2 Watts Link and have a slight problem. By the way, I also lowered the car using BMR springs...

The problem is that when I hit a moderate dip, bump, etc I hear a pretty hard thud. Sounds like metal on metal. Looked under the car and can not find any damage marks. The links are very horizontal, but I think that the drivers is about 1/4 shorter than the passenger. Could this be causing some major binding???

I think there could be a damage mark on the passenger side axle mount on the upper portion where the spring housing is. Anybody have any of these issues?:??:

lawdude

Established Member
So I just finished installing the Shelby Fays 2 Watts Link and have a slight problem. By the way, I also lowered the car using BMR springs...

The problem is that when I hit a moderate dip, bump, etc I hear a pretty hard thud. Sounds like metal on metal. Looked under the car and can not find any damage marks. The links are very horizontal, but I think that the drivers is about 1/4 shorter than the passenger. Could this be causing some major binding???

I think there could be a damage mark on the passenger side axle mount on the upper portion where the spring housing is. Anybody have any of these issues?:??:

Check your driveshaft. You might have to adjust your pinion angle.

Para81

Established Member
Big fan of the Watts Link for the Shelby's....high speeds is where I noticed the big difference - you could comfortably 'cruise' at 140 mph if you like and on long open highways in remote areas it's a nice feature.

89Saleen215

Established Member
I had something similar...it was the FRPP rear sway bar hitting the Fays2 frame. So I removed the sway bar.

Colleton

Established Member

Yeah, I had the Fays2 watts link on my '09, along with LCA extension brackets and new LCAs. The watts link by itself made a difference, but I really noticed a big difference after I installed the extension brackets and new LCAs. The handling was very solid, and I no longer worried about rough roads.

Well worth the money.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Check your driveshaft. You might have to adjust your pinion angle.

I basically have 0 degrees. Both the shaft and the yoke pinion are at 0 degrees. It was late I was tired, etc.... Hope to set it to -2 this weekend.

On the drive in to work this morning it was fine, so it is only on moderate or worse dips/bumps etc...

Users who are viewing this thread