Fed up

jmccown

Established Member
I bought my terminator from a guy in October. I still cannot license the car because the guy I bought it from owes taxes on 4 other cars. According to the county clerk the guy has to pay the taxes before I can transfer the car into my name and license/register it. It is in Kentucky, same state I bought it from. It really sucks because god only knows when the guy will pay those taxes. It might be many months before I can drive my car due to this bunch of BS. To me this doesn't seem right. I mean really, how do car dealerships do it if someone owes taxes and so forth, how do they license a car if the previous owner owed taxes. I'm looking for any loopholes you guys can think of. I mean, I don't plan on driving a lot anyways, only on nice days. But when there is a nice day I have to leave it in the garage because it is not legal for me to drive it. HELP.

bluedog

Established Member
I would think that you would have to consult a lawyer. They should have garnished the payment you made to him to cover the taxes.

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
That is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. It is not your fault some retard has money issues. I wish I could help but I can't good luck.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I would think that you would have to consult a lawyer. They should have garnished the payment you made to him to cover the taxes.

I agree, they should have taken out some of your payment to cover what he owed.. I guess he had title in hand then right:shrug:.. I hope you get it figured out.. I would also recommend consulting a lawyer.. It will probably be a few hundred but worth it IMO

jmccown

Established Member
No, he owed on the car. I got it for payoff. My bank mailed Ford Credit the payoff for me, so the guy didn't make a dime off the car. Lucky me on that, but unlucky in that I can't drive it.

redline

Established Member
you have realtives that live in another state. use their address and register in that state then when the title comes in your name for that state go back to kentuckey and have ir registered in your name . can try that or ask

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
No, he owed on the car. I got it for payoff. My bank mailed Ford Credit the payoff for me, so the guy didn't make a dime off the car. Lucky me on that, but unlucky in that I can't drive it.

Doesn't sound like your fault so I don't understand what the problem is with letting you register it and they deal with him:shrug:

rexisme

Established Member
Get your bank involved, unless you didnt get a loan... then i would consult a lawyer.

sprusak1

G.R.E.A.D tuned
Established Member
Agree with registering it out of state and then re-registering it in KY. I have had to do that with almost every car I have bought in this backwards ass state, of sorry, commonwealth.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Kentucky sucks in that area. Also sucks ass for Health Insurance but that's another story.

03cobramanIII

Banned
title >did it say it had a lein on it ? or it was payed for already? if it was payed for the 03 and had no leins. i dont get it . ?
or if he got it. and didnt resg. it ? then sold it to you.?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree. I'm confused about the title, too. Unless there was already a lien against the title by the county (did the seller state there was or wasn't?) then how can the county turn around and tell you that you, as the new owner, cannot get the title and register the car. And if there WAS a lien on the title why didn't Ford Credit know that? Or why didn't your bank discover it? Because if there WAS a lien against the title then the taxes would have to have been paid out of the proceeds of the sale, keeping you clean.

No? I just confused why this could have happened without some non-disclosure by the seller.

jmccown

Established Member
The title is clear. I paid Ford off when I bought it from the guy. They sent me the lien release and I took it to the courthouse. But the problem isn't the title. They will not transfer it out of the other guys' name till he pays taxes on 4 other cars that his mom and dad put in his name due to bankruptcy. It's a real mess. Good idea on transferring to WV. My wife has a business in WV, sounds like a good idea if worse comes to worse.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
They will not transfer it out of the other guys' name till he pays taxes on 4 other cars that his mom and dad put in his name due to bankruptcy.
WTF does that have to do with you?? And how does a person end up owing taxes on cars anyway? Everywhere I've ever lived sales tax has to be paid up front before the title is transferred to the new owner :shrug:

Sorry to hear about this BS, you need a new state.

Users who are viewing this thread