Feedback / Comments >>> Austin, TX

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Hello guys (& gals): I am contemplating a potential relocation to Austin, TX due to work (I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL now). I have never been to TX other than to switch planes a number of times in Houston (never stepped out of the airport), and once attended a work conference in Dallas (walked around the hotel one evening). Thus my knowledge is "zero". I have read great things about Austin, but was wondering if I could get some feedback / comments from those of you who know, been there, live there, etc. I may be receiving a nice job offer and will have to decide fairly fast. All comments are welcome, and I thank you much in advance.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Austin is an awesome place, as long as you don't want to drive anywhere is a hurry.

The road system and traffic suck.

But, it is one of the prettiest cities in TX, is a college town, has a great music scene and there is tons of stuff to do.

I like visiting, but could not live there.

-Brian

txyaloo

Established Member
Do you like guns? Are you a republican?

If not, stay in Florida. :lol: If so, Austin is a great city.

It's full of hippies, but I still love it there. Great nightlife. Lake Travis. Awesome parks and green spaces. Good food. Best city in Texas IMO.

B-O-B'03

Established Member

It's full of hippies, but I still love it there. Great nightlife. Lake Travis. Awesome parks and green spaces. Good food. Best city in Texas IMO.

Not so sure about the Republican bit.. IIRC, Austin/Travis county was one of the few blue places, for Texas, in the last Presidential election?

2008 Presidential election voting by TX county

I agree on the rest though, the hill country is one of the best places on the planet.

-Brian

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Austin is a great city. A good mix of people, great nightlife, and the surrounding areas are beautiful. Austin is the live music capital of the US too. Plenty to do and see there. I plan on retiring to that area.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I absolutely loved Austin, beautiful city! And the night life is for sure a blast, San Antonio is only a few hours away also. If there was a military post in Austin I would move there in a heartbeat! I loved it!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I moved here 5 years ago from Iowa.

Night life and culture here is great. If you can't find something interesting to do, you're not looking. There's so much going on, festivals, shows, sports and events every weekend. There's a huge variety of live music, outdoor restaurants and things to do.

And it's pretty scenic. Once you head just minutes west of downtown you get into Hill Country which is gorgeous and has amazing views.

Cost of living here is reasonable IMO compared to other big cities. Rent can be a bit high in certain areas, the same with buying a home.

Traffic can really suck if you are near I-35 or other major highways during prime work times. Hopefully your job will allow you to work flexible hours. Bad traffic is why I start work at 6 am.

Weather is generally pretty good. It can get a bit chilly in the winter for a few days, but nothing bad.

I heard a report on the news last week that Austin has averaged growth of 500 people per week over the past 10 years. That's huge!

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member

Truth. I love going to Austin. 6th street is the place to go. I lived there for 2 years, when I went to UT. Minus the Hippies, and bums, it is a really cool place to live. Just remember, it is a college town, but if you are single all that means is lots of hot women. There is also New Braunsfels, there is a river there, you can tube in the summer. We are actually going to be down there at the end of the month.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
IMO Austin is one of best cities around aside from the crappy highway system. There is always something to do in austin just like everyone has been saying; great night life, festivals, restaurants, Lake Travis, UT games, the Hill Country, and the list goes on and on. You also have San Marcos, New Braunfels (look up Schlitterbahn), San Antonio, Wimberly, Boerne...these are all places with many places that offer plenty to do and see.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I went to Austin in 1998 for a job interview. I knew as soon as I got off the plane that if offered a job I would take it. Got the job offer and moved and will not likely be leaving ever (at least not by choice).

I am not a big fan of 6th street because it is full of as many high school kids as it is college age kids but they are fun to look at. It is a blast if you go with friends tho.

I moved from D.C. my house in Austin would be anywhere from 500K to upwards of a couple of million depending on where in D.C. you lived. I spent 160k for it in 01. Rents are about the same as the D.C. suburbs but you get just a little more in Austin for your money but not much. Gas is (or was) a few cents a gallon cheaper.

and yes, traffic can suck but they are building toll roads to get through traffic around it. People complain about toll roads and outside of rush hour they are not used much but that is because idiots don't realize that their time saved getting around is worth more than what you pay in tolls. but even without them it was not as bad as D.C. during "rush hour" or any other time you tried to go anywhere.

Weather is warmer in the winter, a bit hotter in the summer but with less humidity that the east coast.

if you are going to live in Texas the Austin San Antonio corridor is the place to be.

Last edited:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I've only visited (for a week) but I really enjoyed Austin. It's one of those middle sized cities that has a nice "downtown" area, but isn't so big that you can't just walk around to most places. It was also pretty clean, and of course you have UT right there, so plenty of night life if that is your thing.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I went to Austin in 1998 for a job interview. I knew as soon as I got off the plane that if offered a job I would take it. Got the job offer and moved and will not likely be leaving ever (at least not by choice).

I am not a big fan of 6th street because it is full of as many high school kids as it is college age kids but they are fun to look at. It is a blast if you go with friends tho.

I moved from D.C. my house in Austin would be anywhere from 500K to upwards of a couple of million depending on where in D.C. you lived. I spent 160k for it in 01. Rents are about the same as the D.C. suburbs but you get just a little more in Austin for your money but not much. Gas is (or was) a few cents a gallon cheaper.

and yes, traffic can suck but they are building toll roads to get through traffic around it. People complain about toll roads and outside of rush hour they are not used much but that is because idiots don't realize that their time saved getting around is worth more than what you pay in tolls. but even without them it was not as bad as D.C. during "rush hour" or any other time you tried to go anywhere.

Weather is warmer in the winter, a bit hotter in the summer but with less humidity that the east coast.

if you are going to live in Texas the Austin San Antonio corridor is the place to be.

we agree on something.

04Red-Snake

Established Member
Thank you so very much guys for taking the time to give me your insight and perspective. I sincerely appreciate it very much. I will be in Austin on Fri. 04/22 for a meeting with the client. I plan to potentially spend the weekend looking around. Everything I have heard and read seems to be very consistent, and from all I now know Austin does seem to be a wonderful place to live / work. I am 46, divorced but in a serious relationship (my GF is originally from California), have 2 wonderful boys (12 and 14) who would come as often as possible, work in engineering / facilities management / construction / project management, registered and very Republican :-D, like guns, outdoors, american muscle cars, motorcycles, family and friends. Again, thank you very much for all your help. If this does happen, it would be great to get to meet some of the local guys. I'll keep you all posted.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Thank you so very much guys for taking the time to give me your insight and perspective. I sincerely appreciate it very much. I will be in Austin on Fri. 04/22 for a meeting with the client. I plan to potentially spend the weekend looking around. Everything I have heard and read seems to be very consistent, and from all I now know Austin does seem to be a wonderful place to live / work. I am 46, divorced but in a serious relationship (my GF is originally from California), have 2 wonderful boys (12 and 14) who would come as often as possible, work in engineering / facilities management / construction / project management, registered and very Republican :-D, like guns, outdoors, american muscle cars, motorcycles, family and friends. Again, thank you very much for all your help. If this does happen, it would be great to get to meet some of the local guys. I'll keep you all posted.

TX is the place to be! buddy visited from PA and was like "damn American and Texas flags eveyrwhere, it's not like this in PA." also he loved all the green from SA to Austin, mexican food, etc

you'll love it...i wouldn't live anywhere else. :rockon:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

hopefully your interview is not with Dell LOL

Users who are viewing this thread