Feinstein's 2013 Assault Weapon legislation summary

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Well I imagine a receiver failure is pretty rare, if anything is small parts that tend to give out. I really want an AR but figure AK parts might be easier to come by during a ban because they are made all over the correct.

Yes extractors,bolts, and ejectors and most of the other small stuff that went into the reciever was still available. But the pistol grips and flash hiders and fixed bayonets was another thing though. Sure you could get them but putting them on said weapon resulted in a felony. So that is how the 922 regulations came to light. Where for I think every 3 foreign made parts you need a US made part for the build.

Draiter

Established Member
Actually that's incorrect. Assault rifles have a auto or burst mode along with the option for semi. You can't buy assault weapons in the United States. Once again please educate yourself before you spout off EH!!!

The AR's and AK's for sale to the general public do NOT have burst or automatic mode.....

It's really sad how many uneducated morons there are running around.:nonono:

Alot of those uneducated morons are in some sort of position in office too. :nonono:

You've been watching to much T.V.

Ahhhh, see you are the type of people that should NOT have guns PERIOD... If you get this upset over someone correcting your misinformation, I can only imagine what you'd do in person, with a gun. I would suggest that that intended gun legislation that is being proposed by Obama is designed to protect people from people such as yourselves.

Man, you guys really need to read up on your definitions... YOU don't define what an Assault Rifle or Assault Weapon is, your government does. And your government has defined an assault weapon as below and according to the Assault Weapons Ban signed into law in 94. See, your definition is irrelevant, useless and holds no weight, but thanks for the "attempt" to educate me...

Here's your definition from Connecticut, the reason for this discussion in the first place.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

"Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.
(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, “assault weapon” means:
(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option
of the user or any of the other following specified semiautomatic firearms:
Algimec Agmi Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Armalite AR-180 Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol Holmes MP-83
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1 Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Beretta AR-70 Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol Scarab Skorpion
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Colt AR-15 and Sporter Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2 Sterline MK-6 and MK-7
Ecom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45 Steyr AUG
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
FAMAS MAS 223 USAS-12
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Federal XC-900 and XC-450 Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Franchi SPAS-12 and Law-12 Wilkinson “Linda” Pistol
Galil AR and ARM
(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault
weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection or any combination of parts from which
an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if
those parts are in possession or under the control of the same person;
(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the
following criteria:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at lease
two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or
(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip
or silencer;
(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or
(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault
weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which
an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if
those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term “assault weapon”
does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable."

Assault Weapons Ban Law signed in 94 by Clinton...
Assault Weapons - The Classification, Definitions and Laws Regarding Assault Weapons

"A Broadened Category of Assault Weapons

While civilian ownership of automatic weapons has been heavily regulated in the U.S. since 1934, most semi-automatic weapons remained legal until 1994.

The AWB defined a broad category of semi-automatic rifles, handguns and shotguns with military-style characteristics as being “assault weapons.” The law made it illegal to make those weapons in the U.S. for a 10-year period. In 2004, the AWB expired when Congress did not vote to renew it. As a result, it became legal to produce and own those firearms once again.

In general, the AWB defined any firearm with a detachable magazine and at least two of certain other characteristics as an assault weapon.

For rifles, those characteristics included:

Telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Grenade launcher
Flash suppressor
For shotguns:

Telescoping stock
Pistol grip
A capacity to hold more than five rounds
For handguns:

Threaded barrels made to attach a barrel extender, handgrip or flash suppressor
A barrel shroud that can be used as a handhold
Weight of at least 50 oz. when unloaded
Nineteen models of firearms were specifically named in the legislation as assault weapons, while other models were included under the umbrella of the law’s definition of assault weapons."

The dictionary...

Assault weapon - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

BABVenom98

Established Member
Ahhhh, see you are the type of people that should NOT have guns PERIOD... If you get this upset over someone correcting your misinformation, I can only imagine what you'd do in person, with a gun. I would suggest that that intended gun legislation that is being proposed by Obama is designed to protect people from people such as yourselves.

Man, you guys really need to read up on your definitions... YOU don't define what an Assault Rifle or Assault Weapon is, your government does. And your government has defined an assault weapon as below and according to the Assault Weapons Ban signed into law in 94. See, your definition is irrelevant, useless and holds no weight, but thanks for the "attempt" to educate me...

Here's your definition from Connecticut, the reason for this discussion in the first place.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, “assault weapon” means:
(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option
of the user or any of the other following specified semiautomatic firearms:
Algimec Agmi Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Armalite AR-180 Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol Holmes MP-83
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1 Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Beretta AR-70 Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol Scarab Skorpion
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Colt AR-15 and Sporter Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2 Sterline MK-6 and MK-7
Ecom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45 Steyr AUG
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
FAMAS MAS 223 USAS-12
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Federal XC-900 and XC-450 Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Franchi SPAS-12 and Law-12 Wilkinson “Linda” Pistol
Galil AR and ARM
(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault
weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection or any combination of parts from which
an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if
(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the
following criteria:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at lease
two of the following:
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or
(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
two of the following:
(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip
or silencer;
(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or
(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault
weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which
an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if
those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term “assault weapon”
does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable."

Assault Weapons Ban Law signed in 94 by Clinton...
Assault Weapons - The Classification, Definitions and Laws Regarding Assault Weapons

"A Broadened Category of Assault Weapons

While civilian ownership of automatic weapons has been heavily regulated in the U.S. since 1934, most semi-automatic weapons remained legal until 1994.

The AWB defined a broad category of semi-automatic rifles, handguns and shotguns with military-style characteristics as being “assault weapons.” The law made it illegal to make those weapons in the U.S. for a 10-year period. In 2004, the AWB expired when Congress did not vote to renew it. As a result, it became legal to produce and own those firearms once again.

In general, the AWB defined any firearm with a detachable magazine and at least two of certain other characteristics as an assault weapon.

For rifles, those characteristics included:

Telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Grenade launcher
Flash suppressor
For shotguns:

Telescoping stock
Pistol grip
A capacity to hold more than five rounds
For handguns:

Threaded barrels made to attach a barrel extender, handgrip or flash suppressor
A barrel shroud that can be used as a handhold
Weight of at least 50 oz. when unloaded
Nineteen models of firearms were specifically named in the legislation as assault weapons, while other models were included under the umbrella of the law’s definition of assault weapons."

The dictionary...

Assault weapon - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

STFU. You sound like one of the coward mother suckers who doesn't know shit about guns so gets scared and thinks the government knows best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draiter

Established Member
STFU. You sound like one of the coward mother suckers who doesn't know shit about guns so gets scared and thinks the government knows best.

LOL... what, are you like 5 years-old? ... And that's the rant of the people with no recourse... resorting to violence.... Sigh... once again it is from people like you that people need to be protected.

IcE

Established Member
"Actually that's incorrect. Assault rifles have a auto or burst mode along with the option for semi. You can't buy assault weapons in the United States. Once again please educate yourself before you spout off EH!!!"

of the user or any of the other following specified semiautomatic firearms
:

Sounds like the same definition to me minus the specific attachment details which vary by state. However, I am sure an enthusiast who knows the gun laws in their place of residence would also know what is or is not legal in their state. Just because Connecticut defines that as being as assault weapon does not mean that will hold true for all the other 49 states. Isn't that what was stated earlier that you were trying to refute? I fail to see how the first opinion was wrong when the definition you are quoting says the same exact thing about having to have selective modes of fire. :shrug:

Last edited:

Draiter

Established Member
"Actually that's incorrect. Assault rifles have a auto or burst mode along with the option for semi. You can't buy assault weapons in the United States. Once again please educate yourself before you spout off EH!!!"

of the user or any of the other following specified semiautomatic firearms
:

Sounds like the same definition to me minus the specific attachment details which vary by state. However, I am sure an enthusiast who knows the gun laws in their place of residence would also know what is or is not legal in their state. Just because Connecticut defines that as being as assault weapon does not mean that will hold true for all the other 49 states. Isn't that what was stated earlier that you were trying to refute? I fail to see how the first opinion was wrong when the definition you are quoting says the same exact thing about having to have selective modes of fire. :shrug:

Read section 2 and 3... com'on man, it's not that difficult. Don't just read and select what SUPPORTS your case that's just stupid.. The conneccticut legislation IS the Assault Weapons Ban legislation signed in 94, which is binding in ALL states.... It contains 3 separate sections ALL of which are used to define an ASSAULT WEAPON...

Thank the Gods for us Dumb Canadians...

Last edited:

BABVenom98

Established Member
LOL... what, are you like 5 years-old? ... And that's the rant of the people with no recourse... resorting to violence.... Sigh... once again it is from people like you that people need to be protected.

You call that violence, wow, grow a pair. Why do you say I'm the type of person who people need to be protected from? You have not one inclination of who I am. I grew up around guns. I own several including an AR-15 with 30 round magazines and a compact Taurus .45ACP with 12 round mags. You're just scared of what you don't know about. I've never pulled a weapon on anyone. You sound like the 5 year old with absolutely stupid statements about gun owners.

IcE

Established Member
Read section 2 and 3... com'on man, it's not that difficult. Don't just read and select what SUPPORTS your case that's just stupid.. The conneccticut legislation IS the Assault Weapons Ban legislation signed in 94, which is binding in ALL states.... It contains 3 separate sections ALL of which are used to define an ASSAULT WEAPON...

Thank the Gods for us Dumb Canadians...

You mean the part which goes back and states that any modification made to meet the criteria of sub division one which is the selective modes of fire? Pretty sure I made my point known that a gun enthusiast will now what is and is not legal :bored:

weapon, defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection or any combination of parts from which

Last edited:

Draiter

Established Member
You call that violence, wow, grow a pair. Why do you say I'm the type of person who people need to be protected from? You have not one inclination of who I am. I grew up around guns. I own several including an AR-15 with 30 round magazines and a compact Taurus .45ACP with 12 round mags. You're just scared of what you don't know about. I've never pulled a weapon on anyone. You sound like the 5 year old with absolutely stupid statements about gun owners.

Insert Redneck Music Here.... Congratulations on growing up around guns. I could really care less, I also grew up around them... What's your point?
You're quick tempered nature, as evident in your two posts, and the fact that you own guns, should be a serious concern to those around you.....

slidai

Established Member
Please learn what a "assault rifle" really is before commenting on one and the subject of them. Do not try to sound educated on a subject that you obviously have no personal/real world experience dealing with.
Your just feeding off of what the tv tells you like so many others out there. Go read a book or two.

One trigger pull one bullet is NOT a "assault rifle".

I don't watch tv.

BABVenom98

Established Member
Insert Redneck Music Here.... Congratulations on growing up around guns. I could really care less, I also grew up around them... What's your point?
You're quick tempered nature, as evident in your two posts, and the fact that you own guns, should be a serious concern to those around you.....

You obviously could care less otherwise you wouldn't be so concerned about "people like me" owning guns. Yeah, I'm quick tempered, with dumbasses like you who have no clue what they're taking about. It's ok, I know most Canadians are mindless sheep who have no balls.

Draiter

Established Member
You mean the part which goes back and states that any modification made to meet the criteria of sub division one which is the selective modes of fire? Pretty sure I made my point known that a gun enthusiast will now what is and is not legal :bored:

weapon, defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection or any combination of parts from which

following criteria:

Jesus mate.... the WHOLE section defines Assault Weapons... Any weapon that falls into those categories is an assault weapon, any weapon which contains the characteristics listed is an assault weapon... An assault weapon can have selective fire, or be a semi-auto which a pistiol grip, and removable magazine... such as AR15, Ak47, M1A, Mini 14 etc.... the M1A and Mini 14 don't have pistol grips but they do have flash suppressors...

IcE

Established Member
Jesus mate.... the WHOLE section defines Assault Weapons... Any weapon that falls into those categories is an assault weapon, any weapon which contains the characteristics listed is an assault weapon... An assault weapon can have selective fire, or be a semi-auto which a pistiol grip, and removable magazine... such as AR15, Ak47, M1A, Mini 14 etc.... the M1A and Mini 14 don't have pistol grips but they do have flash suppressors...

Obviously I can read that I am not illiterate. There are compliant models of rifles which will not come with flash suppressors and a pistol grip. If I wanted to buy and own an AR in NJ I would have to abide by those standards as well.

MGC

Established Member

You could care less, eh? So what is the difference between say a lever action 30-30 and a ar15? How about a 22? That is an assault weapon by definition as well.

hb712

Established Member
So, some morons believe that a legal definition is a correct definition, fantastic. Last I checked, legal "terms of art" do not typically conform to the actual definition of a word. Maybe people who are not in, or have not been to law school should avoid trying to use statutory language as an argument. Oh, I should also point out that you're using a state law to define a nationally used term.

BTW, why does anyone care what a Canadian thinks about U.S. policies? He clearly has no clue what he's talking about and is simply expressing his distaste for that which he does not understand through assumption, generalization, and emotion.

Finally, let's just take a look at the U.S. Supreme Court's recent opinion of what types of weapons the Second Amendment protects:

"We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes...." Dist. of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 625, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2815-16, 171 L. Ed. 2d 637 (2008).

It would appear that "assault weapons," as defined by our liberal, gun-fearing friends, are typically "possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes" and are protected by the Second Amendment.

Last edited:

IcE

Established Member
So, some morons believe that a legal definition is a correct definition, fantastic. Last I checked, legal "terms of art" do not typically conform to the actual definition of a word. Maybe people who are not in, or have not been to law school should avoid trying to use statutory language as an argument. Oh, I should also point out that you're using a state law to define a nationally used term.

BTW, why does anyone care what a Canadian thinks about U.S. policies? He clearly has no clue what he's talking about and is simply expressing his distaste for that which he does not understand through assumption, generalization, and emotion.

Finally, let's just take a look at the U.S. Supreme Court's recent opinion of what types of weapons the Second Amendment protects:

"We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes...." Dist. of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 625, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2815-16, 171 L. Ed. 2d 637 (2008).

It would appear that "assault weapons," as defined by our liberal, gun-fearing friends, are typically "possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes" and are protected by the Second Amendment.

Agreed, the AWB is expired anyway so I do not see the relevance here. Furthermore here is the gun laws by state. I know Wikipedia is subjective but some are cited. If I want to buy an AR or a Mini 14 etc, I should be a allowed to. Gun laws in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record I am against banning any firearms and strongly oppose gun control if that was not made clear earlier.

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
Agreed, the AWB is expired anyway so I do not see the relevance here. Furthermore here is the gun laws by state. I know Wikipedia is subjective but some are cited. If I want to buy an AR or a Mini 14 etc, I should be a allowed to. Gun laws in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record I am against banning any firearms and strongly oppose gun control if that was not made clear earlier.

The relevance is found in the proposed AWB. Our over-opinionated Canadian friend, along those on his bandwagon, just needs to educate himself on what our court of last resort says is protected by the Constitution.

I was also replying to Draiter's original citation, if that wasn't clear.

bglf83

Established Member
To be honest, I am not sure how they even justify the ban on full auto guns. Second Amendment is pretty clear.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Note: "Well Regulated" in the terms of the 1700s when applied to a military actually means "Well equipped/Trained" much the same way "Well Disciplined" does when applied to the military. It doesn't mean they take the soldiers out and whip them every day... it means they're well focused.

hb712

Established Member
To be honest, I am not sure how they even justify the ban on full auto guns. Second Amendment is pretty clear.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Note: "Well Regulated" in the terms of the 1700s when applied to a military actually means "Well equipped/Trained" much the same way "Well Disciplined" does when applied to the military. It doesn't mean they take the soldiers out and whip them every day... it means they're well focused.

Read the case I cited, that will explain the Court's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread